Gransnet forums

Chat

Delayed Mother's Day

(56 Posts)
notgran Sun 19-Mar-23 10:48:13

Over the years, I have discovered going out for a celebratory meal on Mother's Day and expecting it to be fun doesn't happen. There are many reasons, little children racing around the restaurant unchecked, service not being too good because the restaurant is so busy etc. Having a meal at home means someone has to shop, prepare the meal and tidy up. So now we ignore the getting together bit on the day itself and go for a nice meal in the evening during the week. It works well for us. I have had text and e-mails with lovely messages and am looking forward to our meal out tomorrow.

Foxyferret Tue 21-Mar-23 00:27:03

Just a mention for folk whose Mums have gone. My Mum died in the early hours of Thursday morning at the age of 97. My daughter has flown in from Texas and has been a great help and comfort to me and took me to lunch on Sunday which was lovely. So for all who have lost their Mums in previous years, I am thinking about you.💐

notgran Tue 21-Mar-23 05:56:37

Foxyferret

Just a mention for folk whose Mums have gone. My Mum died in the early hours of Thursday morning at the age of 97. My daughter has flown in from Texas and has been a great help and comfort to me and took me to lunch on Sunday which was lovely. So for all who have lost their Mums in previous years, I am thinking about you.💐

So sorry to read you have so recently lost your Mum. What a wonderful blessing though that you had her in your life for so long. I'm thinking you live in USA where Mother's Day wasn't this Sunday so thankfully it won't always be a sad reminder. How lovely that your daughter has arrived to help you through this time. I hope all goes well for you over the next few weeks. flowers

notgran Tue 21-Mar-23 06:02:18

kwest

I had a lovely time this Mother's Day. My daughter and granddaughter drove up from the West Country and brought a wonderful home cooked lunch with them and a hug bunch of flowers and a half bottle of champagne. It was so lovely to have them here. My son popped in on Saturday afternoon as he was working all weekend, He brought champagne, chocolates and flowers and some cakes from Costa to have with coffee while he was here. the most amazing bit was as we were eating a late lunch he arrived unexpectedly and so I had both my children round my table for lunch and also my gorgeous granddaughter and of course my husband who sent me a card saying, I know you are not my mother but I just wanted to thank you for bringing our children up so well. It was all really lovely and I feel so lucky to have such a lovely family.

kwest How wonderful. That just sounds like the perfect day. A lovely memory for you to always have. smile

notgran Tue 21-Mar-23 06:08:37

Hilariously we went out to celebrate Mother's Day last night. I got some beautiful cards and lovely thoughtful presents and the restaurant was packed grin Almost every table had families with adult children obviously treating their elderly Mum a day later. Just like us. It was fun and very civilised. The only downside, I left my cards on the table as they had been put up on the table as we noticed a few other people had done. I was pleased though that the pin badge of a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin, that had been attached to one card had already been taken off and I was wearing it, so it was only the cards, lovely that they were that I forgot.

bear1 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:30:29

i didnt even get a text my family forget i exist when ever there is mothers day or Christmas etc used to it now