Gransnet forums

Chat

The SNP is in a ‘tremendous mess’ apparently.

(499 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 20-Mar-23 09:43:57

Since these two stepped down within weeks of one another the SNP seems to be imploding at a rate of knots.

What on Earth is going on? There is so much in-flighting.

Hermother Wed 05-Apr-23 20:13:17

Boris must be clapping his hands in glee. Despite all the shenanigans that went on during his tenure, he never had 10 police officers turn up to seal off his house and formally arrest him.

Blondiescot Wed 05-Apr-23 20:17:16

Released without charge:

grannypiper Wed 05-Apr-23 20:50:39

For nowBlondiescot

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Apr-23 22:45:29

Thanks for the update Blondiescot
Curiouser and curiouser.

multicolourswapshop Fri 07-Apr-23 14:00:09

Aveline my faith in the SNP has greatly improved they’re doing a grand job I love living in Scotland I’ve only been here for over 70 yrs it’s been good to me I get all the social care I need and lots of freebies including free bus travel free prescriptions free personal care etc and on it goes cmon give us our FREEDOM

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 07-Apr-23 14:03:56

Do you ever wonder how all that is afforded?

volver3 Fri 07-Apr-23 15:38:10

That'll be the progressive taxation.

Grantanow Fri 07-Apr-23 18:07:12

Seems like an understatement.

Oreo Fri 07-Apr-23 19:11:48

I think you can only hold someone up to 12 hours then you have to release them or charge them.Doesn’t mean they can’t ever be re-arrested.It’s an ongoing investigation.

Oreo Fri 07-Apr-23 19:17:05

multicolourswapshop

*Aveline * my faith in the SNP has greatly improved they’re doing a grand job I love living in Scotland I’ve only been here for over 70 yrs it’s been good to me I get all the social care I need and lots of freebies including free bus travel free prescriptions free personal care etc and on it goes cmon give us our FREEDOM

Older people get free bus travel and free prescriptions in all the other countries in the UK I think?
Nice that you love your country, most people do.It always makes me laff on Escape To The Country that people say they ‘wouldn’t live anywhere else, people are wonderful there’.
I don’t think the SNP are doing a grand job from what I read and hear and are now mired in all this missing cash fiasco.

volver3 Fri 07-Apr-23 19:45:01

Older people get free bus travel and free prescriptions in all the other countries in the UK I think?

I got my bus pass at 60 and have had "free" prescriptions for 12 years, since it was introduced. (I was 49)

Think you've got your wires crossed.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 07-Apr-23 19:46:36

I expect if you were getting all these freebies at someone else’s expense you would think it’s wonderful. Whether you would still get them after independence is somewhat debatable. I wonder mcss has given that much thought?

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Apr-23 19:48:18

Some other countries but not all, I think

volver3 Fri 07-Apr-23 19:48:28

They're not freebies. We pay for them through taxes, you don't, so don't worry.

Aveline Fri 07-Apr-23 20:21:45

Eh?

Granny23 Thu 13-Apr-23 12:04:19

Well, well well! Today we have been informed that the Luxury Campervan was bought on behalf of the Party for use as a campaigning tool i.e. a secure, moveable base, (with facilities e.g. toilet, cooker. tables, seats, etc. a change of clothes, umbrellas, supplies of leaflets, posters, badges), from which to do walkabouts, attend rallies and so on, anywhere, without having to hire vans, book accommodation or use public facilities.

I have known this for a considerable time - it was not a secret. I thought it was a sensible purchase as was the decision to park it in a friendly, unused large driveway, at no cost to the party.

Aveline Thu 13-Apr-23 14:24:58

Bought outright years before it could be used? Far better to rent as and when required. Plating fast and loose with other people's money as usual.

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 14:34:10

Luckily, daft ideas aren't illegal.

Good news for most of the Tory government.

Granny23 Thu 13-Apr-23 14:40:58

Obviously, at the time it was bought there was expectation of Indy Ref II imminently. Also a little used, luxury Camper Van's value is not likely to depreciate much whereas the buying new price will have risen considerably. The cost of hiring such a vehicle is astronomical.

Anyway, Aveline you can take comfort that none of your own money was used for this purpose.

Aveline Thu 13-Apr-23 16:22:57

Indy ref 2 has never been immenent!
It's lucky you SNP members are so blase about so much of your money being unaccounted for and even accountants not wanting to touch the books wherever they are.

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 16:24:41

Couple of assumptions there Aveline. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Quite rude ones, I think.

One might almost say, "divisive"

Aveline Thu 13-Apr-23 16:25:13

So easily done in this case Volver

Foxygloves Tue 18-Apr-23 10:45:55

What IS going on - or has been?
Now this - SNP treasurer Colin Beattie has been arrested by police investigating the party's finances. He has apparently been taken into custody and is being questioned by Police Scotland detectives.
A spokesman for the force said the arrest was made in connection with the ongoing investigation into the funding and finances of the SNP.
All this along with reports that Nicola Sturgeon, either of her own volition or on advice, is keeping her distance from Holyrood.
A spokeswoman for Ms. Sturgeon said: “In order to ensure the focus of this week is on the new First Minister setting out his priorities for the people of Scotland, Ms Sturgeon has always intended to participate remotely and intends to return to Holyrood in the near future. “

I thought I remembered her saying she was looking forward to supporting the party from the back benches?