Gransnet forums

Chat

Night owls?

(60 Posts)
Gingster Tue 21-Mar-23 04:16:35

Is anyone else awake?
I’ve been awake since 2.30 and I’m fed up with tossing and turning.
My cold is worse at night with blocked sinus and sneezing and coughing.
I don’t want to disturb little DGD or the dog so i can’t go and make a cuppa.
Roll on morning but I know I’ll feel like ‘death’.

grandMattie Sun 09-Apr-23 06:08:11

Sorry about that cough, Nannytopsy. Lemon and honey? Those glycerine pastilles?

Ginny42 Sun 09-Apr-23 06:02:26

Nannytopsy that sounds very unpleasant. Do take care going out feeling so unwell. I hope your cough improves as the day goes on. It seems there's a lot of it about, as I know others with this irritating cough. Take good care of yourself. flowers

Ginny42 Sun 09-Apr-23 05:54:29

Morning grandMattie. I've had quite a long sleep for me, about 5 hours and woke to the blackbird singing loudly on the roof. It's a stressful time moving house, but it will be worth it in the end. I hope you will be able to relax with family later.

I've got a busy day as my DD and family are flying in today for a week and I shall be going back with them for a holiday. I've got beds to make up then baking and preparing a roast with a turkey crown and all the trimmings, as requested by my DD. My GS is too old for egg hunts now, but he's not too old for a large chocolate egg.

Nannytopsy Sun 09-Apr-23 05:53:48

Morning grandMattie! I’m sure I would be awake if I were moving on Thursday!
I’ve been awake for a couple of hours because of a cough and cold. I’ve read the paper on my phone but if I try to lie down to sleep the cough starts again. Grrr! I’m acting church warden today, otherwise I would stay in bed.
Hope everyone has a good Easter Sunday.

grandMattie Sun 09-Apr-23 04:54:42

Happy Easter.
Been awake for an hour, probably from anxiety about moving out on Thursday, but still don’t have a date for my purchase. It is hugely stressful.
I’ll have a nap this afternoon before going out to dinner. I’m very touched to be invited to family affair, three generations.

Nanderin Wed 29-Mar-23 05:55:27

Hi I'm awake too I know how to feel I have avoided covid for 3 yrs and we tested positive for covid yesterday.

grandMattie Wed 29-Mar-23 05:52:45

Had an amazing night! I slept for 7 hours instead of 4-5!
I don’t worry about waking up several times a night, Blue, just get fed up if I’m awake at 3 am and don’t go back to sleep, as is normal for me.
Eye still doing well, but I am being very careful not to bend over, etc.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Mar-23 05:35:22

It’s normal to wake a couple of times a night You are expecting the impossible to sleep through the night at our ages it is no We are made to wake at least twice
If you don’t think about it, don’t worry about it, and mostly don’t TRY to go back to sleep (that’s the biggest mistake). Once you accept it it will happen not at once but gradually
Acceptance not fighting it is the answer

Ginny42 Wed 29-Mar-23 05:13:32

Woke at 4.00 with lights on and my book on my chest so I must have been exhausted then just fell asleep. Excellent news about your op grandMatie. My optician had a cancellation for Thursday afternoon so I'm hoping the blurred vision is because my lenses need a clean.

Hope you're feeling better Nanatoone.

Have read the headlines and done the spelling bee, so time for a cuppa and toast I think.

Georgesgran Wed 29-Mar-23 04:42:22

Another who just sleeps for a couple of hours at a time. Not a good sleeper at the best of times, but I wake for the loo at least twice through the night - usually 2.30 and 4.30. It’s not a habit, I really need to go. Often I get up after the last visit, as I don’t seem to need much sleep. Only very, very rarely do I fall asleep during the day, so I don’t dwell on it. I’ve always believed that people don’t need as much sleep as they age.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 05:11:33

Good morning Ken and all early risers / late sleepers

Glad to hear that your op was successful Mattie

Nanatoone so sorry to hear that you’re in hospital, and having such a rough time.
I hope that you are home soon.

Wishing everyone a nice day x

MrsKen33 Tue 28-Mar-23 05:00:58

I am usually very happy if I manage 6-7 hours sleep. I have had a week of doing so but last night no. I wonder why it seems to go in cycles.?
Anyway wide awake now so will read in a while , on my kindle so as not to disturb DH.

Have a gentle day ladies

grandMattie Tue 28-Mar-23 04:42:19

Been awake for an hour. I’ve put in my first antibiotic drops for the day after removing their shield.
My op was very successful: I see clearly, without struggling to focus. I now resales how bad it was. No wonder I had permanent headaches!
BTW I’ve tried 478 and end up totally breathless. My go-to is counting backwards from 1,000 subtracting 7 each time. Get thoroughly muddled and usually fall asleep. Otherwise it’s the alphabet backwards.

grandmac Mon 27-Mar-23 22:32:13

Jaxie
I too recite the US states in alphabetical order! I’ve tried it with English counties too. Worked sometimes. But now I have the Calm app on my phone and listen to stories by different readers. I have never heard the end of most of them! And some of them are really interesting. At first I preferred male voices but now mostly listen to female ones.

Jaxie Mon 27-Mar-23 16:46:42

Tamayra, I don’t believe it! 478 worked like a dream. Thank you.

Jaxie Mon 27-Mar-23 16:44:34

I wake frequently in the night but have given up listening to The World Service as it stops me relaxing back into sleep. My two remedies are 1. Reciting the names of US states in alphabetical order, 2. The occasional tablet of Phenergan, a remedy for allergies available without prescription which I take when I am desperate which always sends me to sleep.

Marydoll Sun 26-Mar-23 07:50:52

Good luck for this afternoon GMattie. Do you have someone to accompany you?

NanaDana Sun 26-Mar-23 07:13:31

Hope all went well with your cataract op, grandMattie. When my late Mum had it done she couldn't believe the immediate difference it made, in particular with how much more vivid colours were.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Mar-23 06:51:42

Ginny it may need what my consultant called a polish they explained to me that occasionally this is needed it’s apparently a very simple 5 minute laser ‘polish’
So don’t worry

The secret of good nights is not to worry not to think about it and not to try to go back to sleep accept it older people are not made to sleep through the night and it’s normal to have at least two breaks in the night

Ginny42 Sun 26-Mar-23 06:27:22

I'm wondering whether one of my permanent lenses may need changing. It's becoming quite 'misted'. I need to be disciplined and make an appointment. Hope all goes well.

grandMattie Sun 26-Mar-23 06:21:43

Thank you.
I also found out that my other eye lens needs replacement. I had no idea as it had never been mentioned.

Ginny42 Sun 26-Mar-23 06:19:14

Wishing you well for the operation this afternoon grandeMattie. You will be so pleased you've had it. I found the drops a little fiddly, but it's so worth it. flowers

grandMattie Sun 26-Mar-23 05:59:29

My nights are similar, NanaDana. I’ve stopped napping through the night, which is good, but still doin the day.

Been awake since 3. The change of clocks always affects me. I’m also a bit anxious re. a a cataract operation early this afternoon. Not the operation itself, but the “not bending over” and not lifting heavy weights stuff.

Ginny42 Sun 26-Mar-23 05:49:15

Been awake since just after 2.00 and have completed Wordle, spelling bee and had breakfast. I was relived to waken up and find that the bug that's upset my system for a few days has finally gone and I feel more myself this morning.

I'm not a foodie, but am now enjoying a series on Netflix called The-Cook- A-Long. Gentle humour with two young men, one a DJ and the other a musician in South Africa, exploring where the food they eat comes from and then cooking a dish. I have learned a lot this morning already.

NanaDana Sat 25-Mar-23 17:31:57

Don't remember the last time I slept through. Probably decades ago, as I'm now pushing 80. Audiobooks help. Ideally autobiographies/non-fiction, which you can dip in and out of. Daren't drink anything after about 8 p.m., otherwise I'd be on regular loo patrol all night long, which is bad enough as it is. Usually awake permanently at around 5 a.m., but try to stay in bed until 6'ish, which seems slightly more civilised. Inevitably, a Nana nap is required during the afternoon, which can last up to an hour. No complaints though, as at least I do get some sleep at night, occasionally as much as 6 hours, although not continuously. Goes with the territory, I guess.