Gransnet forums

Chat

Cooker clock!

(64 Posts)
eddiecat78 Sun 26-Mar-23 10:20:51

It has just taken me half an hour and much swearing to alter my Bosch cooker clock. Randomly jabbing the buttons achieved nothing. Following the instructions (several times) put the child lock on.
In the end we switched off the power completely and then followed the "setting the clock for the first time" instructions

RakshaMK Tue 28-Mar-23 11:26:31

I usual leave mine, it'll be right again in 6 months

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 11:47:12

Cooker clocks and timers are the work of the devil.
I spent a good 15 minutes on the one n our holiday let.
I don’t have one on my range at home thankfully.
I have always wondered who uses their oven on timed?
I never have.

tattygran14 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:59:55

Wouldn't it be easier if we all just stopped messing around with 'daylight saving' ?

winterwhite Tue 28-Mar-23 12:00:49

Ours is a Miele and I know I can alter it successfully because have done it before but always put it off for weeks. DH hopeless. Luckily DD3 is coming at Easter and she's a whizz at it.

grannybuy Tue 28-Mar-23 12:12:43

I’m another whose oven is off at the mains unless it’s in use. I’ve gotten used to not looking at it’s clock

missdeke Tue 28-Mar-23 12:21:46

I turn my cooker off at the wall every time I use it, so I don't need to reset the clock. If I leave it on my cat sits on it and uses the beeps to summon me to the kitchen to turn the tap on so he can have a drink. He always has a bowl of fresh water if he wants it though.

Delila Tue 28-Mar-23 12:43:27

I always turn my electric cooker off at the socket after I’ve used it. A former boyfriend of one of my DD’s, a fireman, told me electric cookers were a frequent cause of house fires. I realised I only kept it on permanently because of the clock but as I have a kitchen clock it was unnecessary, so I took his advice.

Pittcity Tue 28-Mar-23 12:51:25

Walled down the High Street this morning and the Town Hall clock that strikes quarters had been stopped at 25 to 7. Even the Council have trouble changing the clock!

Sawsage2 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:54:55

I live in rented bungalow. Never mastered the flashing cooker clock (neither has landlord) I've stuck black tape over it.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:40:31

I no longer bother with the time on my cooker - we often have mini power cuts so I can't be bothered with the cooker time.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:52:59

My hob doesn't have a clock, only a timer and my oven, which is Ikea's cheapest is perfectly easy to reset, as the clock is set or reset in exactly the same way as you set the oven temperature and time.

So buy a cheaper model next time, ladies.

Snowbell Tue 28-Mar-23 14:01:04

I wish we could stop all this palaver twice a year. As well as the cooker there are all the clocks and watches in the house, heating timer, car clock and worst of all body clock! Takes me several days to adjust each time and it's particularly depressing when we put the clocks back and it gets dark so early.

Keffie12 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:06:03

My cooker clock is right for 6 months of the year. The other 6 months its a case of remembering its an hour fast.

Too many years of fighting with it we leave it as it is now

Minibookworm Tue 28-Mar-23 14:22:38

We no longer leave the power switched on to our cooker since cutting back on electricity usage. Hence we don’t have this problem anymore.

Georgesgran Tue 28-Mar-23 14:28:11

Yes shysal my car clock did adjust automatically, unlike the central heating timer, which said it would, but didn’t. Only found out today when I went to boost and it was an hour slow. Thankfully it’s new and I’ve still got the instructions - all done.

effalump Tue 28-Mar-23 14:54:08

Yes, I ignore mine too. I only use the minute timer when I'm cooking something for, maybe, 20-30 minutes.

Juicylucy Tue 28-Mar-23 15:01:41

Mines not set as I turn it off from the wall when I’m not using it re- eon instructions to save energy.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 28-Mar-23 15:06:06

I don’t actually bother with my cooker clock or timer! We have the odd power cut here and honestly, it’s such a hassle putting it right. I have a separate timer in the kitchen plus a wall clock and a clock on my music centre so I’m spoilt for choice when I’m cooking. Oh, I wear a wrist watch too.

Norah Tue 28-Mar-23 15:11:33

We use the timer, not the clock on a smeg cooker. Until recently, our power was off often, setting the clock was a faff.

Bijou Tue 28-Mar-23 15:18:17

I have to get my help to set my microwave clock. This microwave is a new one and has minute hard to read programmes for various dishes. Curry, tika masala, and other foreign dishes which are useless for me. The instruction book is the same. No traditional English recipes. I have my mothers 1974 microwave recipe book which is very extensive with instruction for cooking every from eggs to casseroles and jam in the microwave.

Juggernaut Tue 28-Mar-23 15:22:25

As my Neff oven is built in and the socket it's plugged into is on the wall behind the unit just below ceiling level, I'd need to climb a step ladder and move loads of baking trays, cake tins etc to switch it off 'at the wall'.
Fortunately, the clock is really easy to set, it takes me all of 20 seconds!
The extractor clock is a little more difficult, so that tends to be right for six months at a time!

nipsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 15:48:18

My cooker clock hasn't been working for years so it's not a problem changing the time. I just use a timer. I have a clock on the wall in the kitchen.

Brahumbug Tue 28-Mar-23 16:07:25

Reading this thread, I am amazed at how many people think that the clocks change every six months!

4allweknow Tue 28-Mar-23 16:30:03

I approached mine yesterday ready for a battle. No instruction book to be found. Pressed and held the timings function button twice then used the arrows for setting temp and astoundingly it worked. Microwave I basically did the same and that worked too. My late DH would be shocked I had managed this task, as am I!

jerseygirl Tue 28-Mar-23 18:44:14

I never change mine. You dont notice it after a bit!!