Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomnia - What works, what doesn't, for you ?

(104 Posts)
AnnieGurt Mon 27-Mar-23 00:59:18

The Curse of Insomnia will be familiar to so many ladies after menopause.
I've been tracking foods and activities to see what promotes sleep for me, and what aggravates the insomnia.

I'm an easy-to-sleep, waking at 1-2 and unable to get back to sleep, type of insomniac.
However, too much alcohol, any white potatoes, tomatoes and various other foods, can prevent ANY sleep.
Beefsteak, on the other hand, and cooked vegetables, can help me get a few hours.

What's your observation and experience ?

NanKate Tue 25-Apr-23 17:54:21

Recently my DS downloaded on my iPhone the Insight Timer app. It is free, but you can buy add ons. I now listen to some great nighttime meditations that get me off to sleep. Andrew Johnson has a particularly soft soporific Scottish accent which lulls me to sleep. When I wake in the night I listen to his 15 minute Back to Sleep meditation which works most of the time. Do give it a go.

joycerousselot123 Mon 01-May-23 14:42:34

You obviously have the patience of a saint. One thing you mentioned at the beginning or your posts was about moods and depression. Is it possible your Dad has bipolar disorder. Doctors often misdiagnose as depression or insomnia. Maybe check this out :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qir8-ncvBA

joycerousselot123 Mon 01-May-23 14:45:57

I don't know if it's OK to post links but here goes : www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene/healthy-sleep-tips?
www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-aids/natural-sleep-aids
Coziest bedroom
www.healthline.com/health/healthy-sleep/ultimate-guide-for-turning-your-bedroom-into-a-sleep-sanctuary
And finally, if nothing works, this might : Sleep deprivation www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/sleep-deprivation-stages#timeline