Gransnet forums

Chat

How much do you spend on your pets?

(57 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:25:23

An acquaintance told me that last year she spent over
£6 000 on vets bills for her cats. I think she has two or three.
I was stunned, my jaw dropped.
I just thought about people who have nothing or very little to live on, those who are homeless, or the Ukrainian people.
I said nothing as it is not my business how she spends her money, but I can't get it out of my mind.
Now I wonder how much other people spend on their pets.

Delila Wed 29-Mar-23 23:39:48

So sorry, LucyW, I feel for you. We lost our beloved little dog this evening. The house feels empty, doesn’t it?

No, we never begrudged anything spent on her - she was worth it. She was a constant companion, night and day, for fourteen years & made us laugh every day. What more could you ask?

Anniel Wed 29-Mar-23 23:49:42

My little Marcus is my life’s companion. We are inseparable and what I spend on his food and any vet bill and on his grooming is my business. I adore my dog. We are always together and he sleeps in my bedroom. If I go out he greets my return as though I have been gone 6 months. I also am a dog advocate and spend as much as I can to donate to Rescues who take dogs dumped by rotten owners. Dogs are our best friend and we should remember that.

FannyCornforth Thu 30-Mar-23 05:41:50

Maya, Lucy and Delila so sorry thanks

I’ve just worked out that I spend about £2,500 a year on my dog and cat.
Insurance (PetPlan), food and grooming

Lauren59 Thu 30-Mar-23 06:20:03

I spend at least £325 a month on my dog and cats. That includes insurance for the dog. In addition, I give to animal rescue charities. I love animals and they are worth everything I spend and more. People who think they’re not worth time, effort or money are the kind of people who abandon them. All of my pets were adopted as adults when they were no longer wanted.

Shel69 Thu 30-Mar-23 07:39:51

I have pet insurance for my dog, he was bought for my autistic grandson, we lost our beloved dog after 16 years we we heartbroken, this type of dog could have health problems which we didn't know about, didn't research unfortunately though he is a perfect companion for ds that's what we researched, so he's insured, and worth every penny of anything we pay out for him, he's a blessing to us

Delila Thu 30-Mar-23 11:11:44

Thank you Fanny.