Gransnet forums

Chat

Phillip Scoffield…

(49 Posts)
JPB123 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:14:56

Why is he still on This Morning? The program discusses news,
values and solving our everyday problems. I am fed up with having the wool pulled over my eyes by these less than open and honest people…I enjoy the prog through the winter months.I dip in and out ,watching the bits I’m interested in.
Should Scoffield be replaced?

Smileless2012 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:21:33

I don't watch it. Has he done/said something he shouldn't have?

Ailidh Tue 28-Mar-23 09:23:13

I don't watch but back in the day I preferred the gopher.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:29:51

What has he done, apart from keep his sex life to himself? I'd rather not know about presenter's personal lives, and don't think they are under any obligation to tell the world about their sexuality. It seems that his wife is accepting of what happened (and it's hard to believe she had no idea after so long) so it's not for others to be outraged on her behalf either, IMO.

If he's pulled the wool over viewers' eyes in another way, I may feel differently, but as it is, he seems to be the ideal sort of presenter for a magazine show that doesn't need a Laura Keunssberg or Jeremy Paxman. I don't watch it, but just because it's not my cup of tea, not because of Schofield himself.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:30:28

presenters' 😡. Bloody autocorrect.

NanaDana Tue 28-Mar-23 09:46:10

Why is he "pulling the wool over our eyes?" as a presenter of this fairly lightweight programme? Examples? If you're referring to his finally coming out as gay, good for him. A brave move. His private and family life is his own business, and he hasn't broken any laws, so why so judgemental? P.S. It's Schofield. Scoff? Freudian slip?

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:51:40

This is probably about his brother. Apparently Schofield knew and didn't report it (allegedly). Schofield has always come across to me as smug and entitled. Just my opinion obviously.

Dickens Tue 28-Mar-23 09:51:49

JPB123

Why is he still on This Morning? The program discusses news,
values and solving our everyday problems. I am fed up with having the wool pulled over my eyes by these less than open and honest people…I enjoy the prog through the winter months.I dip in and out ,watching the bits I’m interested in.
Should Scoffield be replaced?

Why is he still on This Morning?

... don't know - but is there a reason why he shouldn't be?

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:54:40

What's happened to his brother?

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:55:55

He is on trial for sexually abusing a teenage boy for over three years. Horrible details coming out.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:57:14

Oh. How awful.

No need for Philip to be taken off This Morning though? He's not his brother's keeper.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:57:52

He may be needed at the trial.

Happygirl79 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:58:18

OP, what has happened to make you start this thread? I don't understand.

JPB123 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:04:02

I started the thread to get the view of others about PS. Can’t make my mind up..

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:08:09

They put themselves out there and we are perfectly entitled to have an opinion on them. We may be totally wrong about but it's called show business, they show us what they want us to see.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 10:13:20

Kate1949

They put themselves out there and we are perfectly entitled to have an opinion on them. We may be totally wrong about but it's called show business, they show us what they want us to see.

I don't understand what you're getting at? Are you suggesting that PS should be sacked because his brother is on trial?

If he (PS) was complicit he should, of course, be charged in his own right, but is that being suggested? The accused is innocent until proved guilty, and surely that apples to his brother too?

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 10:34:16

Can’t stand Philip Schofield and avoid any program he is on..

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:48:07

No that's not what I'm saying at all Doodledog. What I mean is that the OP is entitled to feel that PS has pulled the wool over people's eyes. It's her opinion. I don't believe he should be taken off air because of his brother. Of course not. I believe he is off this week as he may be needed to give evidence as his brother told him what he had done.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 10:50:27

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying smile.

I hadn't heard anything about the story, but it sounds dreadful.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:53:23

It does indeed.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 10:57:20

Doodledog

Oh. How awful.

No need for Philip to be taken off This Morning though? He's not his brother's keeper.

Philip Schofield only ‘came out’ because there was a scandal about him possibly grooming a youngster.

The young man became a runner at TM thanks to Schofield, and they also had an affair.
(It’s murky when they became lovers.)
Schofield met him when the lad was a young boy at a youth acting group that he was the patron of.

Schofield panicked as he thought he was going to be outed by the papers.
It’s also the reason for the ‘frostiness’ towards Schofield from Ruth and Eamon.

This is all quite common knowledge.
The lads name will come to me in a moment

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 11:00:29

Matthew McGreevy his name is. I’ll leave you to Google the story, and decide what you think.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:01:57

Yes Fanny. The young man has now come off all social media etc. The suggestion is that he's been 'paid off'. Of course we don't know that to be the case.

Blossoming Tue 28-Mar-23 11:05:09

Never been a fan of Schofield but I don’t watch morning TV so not bothered either way!

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 11:09:12

FannyCornforth

Matthew McGreevy his name is. I’ll leave you to Google the story, and decide what you think.

Yes, I remember that, but I don't know what it has to do with his brother?

I'm not making a case for or against PS, by the way. I just think that guilt by association is unjust.