Gransnet forums

Chat

Phillip Scoffield…

(50 Posts)
JPB123 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:14:56

Why is he still on This Morning? The program discusses news,
values and solving our everyday problems. I am fed up with having the wool pulled over my eyes by these less than open and honest people…I enjoy the prog through the winter months.I dip in and out ,watching the bits I’m interested in.
Should Scoffield be replaced?

Dickens Tue 28-Mar-23 11:16:07

Blossoming

Never been a fan of Schofield but I don’t watch morning TV so not bothered either way!

I'm not a fan either.

I do want a bit of truth, honesty, etc though. If he's been complicit in anything 'dark', then he should be held to account the same as anyone else.

But at the moment from what I can gather, there's rumour and speculation mixed in with facts and we need to extrapolate one from the other.

Too many people have been demonised for things they didn't do - and probably not enough people prosecuted for things they DID do.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:21:36

Just turned on This Morning, no Phillip Schofield today the presenters are Holly Willouby and Alison Hammond.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:23:52

No GG. As I said, he is apparently needed at the trial.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 11:25:09

Neither do I believe in ‘guilt by association’ Doodledog, I absolutely wasn’t suggesting that.

I know diddly squat about his brother, I was just sharing what I knew about PS

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:28:06

Kate1949

No GG. As I said, he is apparently needed at the trial.

Sorry missed that, trying to do far too many things at the same time.

aonk Tue 28-Mar-23 11:30:11

According to today’s article in the Times Phillip Schofield and his brother were not close but he had made a special trip to tell Phillip that he was gay and “obsessed” with a teenage boy. Phillip told him to stop the relationship immediately and subsequently helped to boy to make a report to the police. It sounds like he’s done the right thing. Time will tell. In the meantime leave him to deal with this.

aonk Tue 28-Mar-23 11:30:34

I meant help the boy

Nannashirlz Tue 28-Mar-23 11:33:33

When his runner was going to tell his story do you mean or when him and holly queue jumped then tried to claim their were recording. Mr and mrs fake both should be gone in my opinion. The show is passed it’s sell by date out of touch with the real world. I didn’t know about his bro nor do I care stop watching the show couple of years ago.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:46:33

aonk For my sins, I am a regular viewer of This Morning. PS has said on many occasions that his family, including his brother, are very close. PS took some time off a few years ago as his brother was, in his words, 'very ill'.

HeavenLeigh Tue 28-Mar-23 15:07:52

Not a fan of Scofield at All, far to smug and arrogant!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Mar-23 15:15:34

I bet Eamon Holmes is kicking his heels with glee 😂

aonk Tue 28-Mar-23 15:49:44

Kate1949 I only watch the programme occasionally so I’m not up to date on this. It said in the Times that the 2 brothers were not close growing up but, of course things could easily be different now. That aside I find some of the comments on this thread overly critical. As I said time will tell but he’s innocent until proven guilty.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Mar-23 16:52:15

Yes indeed aonk.

lemsip Tue 28-Mar-23 17:03:48

or even phillip Schofield to spell his name right.

not on 'this morning' this week as his brother is in court.

can't blame anyone for a siblings behavior remember!

sodapop Tue 28-Mar-23 17:29:14

I agree with others Schofield is smug, arrogant and very childish when working with Willoughby.
He shouldn't be held to account for his brother's behaviour though unless he was somehow involved.

Grannyben Tue 28-Mar-23 19:23:42

I believe the Daily Mail reported (I know!) that the brother spoke to Phillip Schofield in September 2021 and, confessed to sexual acts with the boy. PS apparently replied (amongst other things) that it should never happen again. In November 2021, the alleged victim told a therapist who alerted the police. Apparently, when contacted by the Police, PS later gave a statement which forms part of the case against his sibling.

I suppose it will be difficult for PS to explain why, if he knew for at least 2 months, why he didn't report the matter himself.

welbeck Tue 28-Mar-23 19:34:26

we should not be discussing a current criminal case.
many of the comments are prejudicial.

Dickens Tue 28-Mar-23 20:19:58

welbeck

I think you can be 'in contempt of court' if you post comments that might be prejudicial to an upcoming trial if they refer to the details of the charge, but not if you only voice a 'general' opinion of a person in connection with his 'TV persona' unrelated to the court case.

GSM would probably be able to clarify.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 20:22:43

I don't think anyone has said anything other than what's been in the papers, have they?

Grannyben Tue 28-Mar-23 20:48:35

I honestly don't feel anyone has said anything which could be considered prejudicial to the case. Any comments relating to the brother have only stated what has already been disclosed

welbeck Tue 28-Mar-23 23:57:39

there have been several comments which assume, ie pre-judge, the outcome of the trial.
they assume or assert that the defendant is guilty.
i do not understand the comment about tv personality.
the defendant is not such.
there are v strict guidelines for news outlets in
their reporting of criminal cases.
they can only report the facts of the case, without comment.
this forum is equivalent to published material for the purposes of the contempt of court act 1981.
the strict liability rule applies.
i do not want to copy or quote the comments on here which offend, so as not to repeat the contempt.

Dickens Wed 29-Mar-23 08:52:31

welbeck

there have been several comments which assume, ie pre-judge, the outcome of the trial.
they assume or assert that the defendant is guilty.
there are v strict guidelines for news outlets in
their reporting of criminal cases.
they can only report the facts of the case, without comment.
this forum is equivalent to published material for the purposes of the contempt of court act 1981.
the strict liability rule applies.
i do not want to copy or quote the comments on here which offend, so as not to repeat the contempt.

PS is the brother of the defendant. There have been comments about what he may or may not have done or said, or how he's interacted with the defendant. Thus his involvement in the case.
This is entirely separate from the fact that PS appears on a televised show, and for reasons unconnected with the case against his brother he is either liked or disliked because of his 'performance' on that show. Such comments are therefore not prejudicial to the case - because they don't relate to it, but to the way he handles the show itself.

welbeck Wed 29-Mar-23 22:49:04

those are not the comments that bother me, comments about PS.
i will leave the matter now, because it bothers me.

FlorenceN Fri 31-Mar-23 13:38:05

welbeck

It’s been widely reported in the media…as has the Lucy Letby trial which is being discussed in several forums