Gransnet forums

Chat

Covid

(192 Posts)
Nanderin Wed 29-Mar-23 05:59:39

Hi 3yrs avoided covid and yesterday we tested positive for covid. Feeling not well at all.

volver3 Tue 04-Apr-23 09:11:39

Daisymae

volver3

Cases are not the "highest so far. "

Why do you say that?

Missed out the crucial bit - cases are the highest so far this year.

Thank you for coming back to clarify that Daisymae.

maddyone Tue 04-Apr-23 11:26:26

Yes, thanks Daisymae.
The subject of Covid does seem to be being reported on the news rather more lately.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Apr-23 11:28:06

maddyone

Yes, thanks Daisymae.
The subject of Covid does seem to be being reported on the news rather more lately.

It's difficult to be specific about numbers without testing and reporting but I heard from a reputable source in Devon that cases in the Torbay area were about 1 in 14.

MayBee70 Wed 05-Apr-23 23:06:49

DH has just spoken to his son who says he has come down with covid for the second time and has been really sick this time round. Having dropped my guard recently it’s really freaked me out.

Nanderin Thu 06-Apr-23 10:10:49

Yes maybee70 I know what you mean . Really worrying.

maddyone Thu 06-Apr-23 10:27:28

I wonder if it’s because immunity is waning after the autumn boosters. The best immunity is for the first six months after the last booster.

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Apr-23 10:57:18

We're due another vaccine this month.

I did wonder how long immunity from having Covid would last; we had it in the autumn.

Norah Thu 06-Apr-23 11:21:04

Nanderin

Yes maybee70 I know what you mean . Really worrying.

Agreed. Very worrying.

I'm quite happy none of us have had Covid. Booster time.

rosie1959 Thu 06-Apr-23 12:28:27

Wonder why it is you have a flu booster once a year but the Covid one seems to be handed out every 6 months or so to certain age groups.
I do not fall into these age groups so not something I have to consider for myself

Farzanah Thu 06-Apr-23 16:05:31

That’s a really interesting question rosie1958.

As far as I’m aware, flu is seasonal, dependent on certain temperature and humidity, ie in the winter in U.K.

So far coronavirus doesn’t appear to be seasonal in the same way, and may be around permanently, but I don’t think there’s yet definite scientific proof, but I may be wrong?
Present covid vaccine protection appears to wane after around 6 months.

Marydoll Thu 06-Apr-23 16:57:27

I have had three monthly vaccinations, because I'm immunocompromised, not six monthly. For this I am very grateful.

pooohbear2811 Thu 06-Apr-23 18:04:26

so sorry that it has got you after all this time. don't think it is ever going away.

MayBee70 Mon 10-Apr-23 16:02:52

Immunity via the Covid vaccine seems to be very short lived unfortunately. As is immunity from having it. Thank goodness it has become less dangerous or I dread to think where we would be now. DH’s son said he felt ill for a couple of days but is ok now. I thought from how he spoke that he was seriously from it this time so it’s quite a relief.

farview Mon 10-Apr-23 16:45:51

Had covid for 8/9 days...been negative since last Wednesday...have absolutely zilch energy...had covid in March 22 also but wasn't as poorly as I've been this time...also had four jabs...think this time, it was brought back from overseas by daughters in laws....

NanaDana Mon 10-Apr-23 16:57:31

Touch wood, DH and I have avoided it so far, perhaps because we're both classified as vulnerable so have had seven vaccinations each. We've also been careful throughout. However, we have several friends and family members who've caught it recently, and it almost seems that the virus is sweeping up some of those it's missed to date. Hope we stay in the clear, as it's a nasty one, and seems to keep mutating. Are we stuck with it? I do hope not.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Apr-23 20:49:57

Grantanow

When is the next booster due for oldies?

Now in my area, my mum was called the other day