Gransnet forums

Chat

Having a lovely time but missing home.

(51 Posts)
Sago Fri 19-May-23 07:19:20

As you know we are staying at our daughters to look after our grandchildren, we are on day 6, it is so lovely being with them, they are very good and my daughter has established a brilliant routine so they are in bed at 6.30 and 7.30, neither woke until 8.20 am yesterday!

However I miss, drinking tea in bed for an hour before getting up, a neat and ordered house, homemade bread, my own bed, being able to walk to a shop, super fast broadband, my vast array of lotions, potions and creams and finally my lovely friend and next door neighbour.

Things I love about being here are the grandchildren, Aga, a huge utility room, dog, Bella the lovely gentle pony, watching the buzzards, mistle thrushes and hearing the owl.

What do you miss when away from home?

CanadianGran Fri 19-May-23 21:12:40

I think it's mainly the routine when I get home. As much as I love having grandchildren and grand-dog jump up on the bed to wake us, it's a bit more chaotic than our usual slow get-up!

Also, I don't mind living out of a suitcase, but don't like living with just a tiny toiletries and make up bag!

hollysteers Sat 20-May-23 08:15:34

I enjoy being away, but after being widowed, find it hard sharing a bedroom with anyone as I could snore for England as well as getting up a couple of times in the night for a pit stop.
I miss the cat and my recliner and being in control of the controls😁
Also feeling I should look ‘human’ and not like a bag lady around the house dressed in the first thing that comes to hand and no make up.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-May-23 08:29:48

I never miss home, as much as I love it, when travelling. But I absolutely love coming home afterwards.

TerriBull Sat 20-May-23 09:10:27

Away in Dorset at the moment, not missing home too much probably because we are enjoying a spate of fairly good weather instead of weeks of sogginess.

Yes I do usually miss home though it's the familiar and routines I guess and I think that's something that resonates more as we all get older maybe.

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 10:04:49

I love my dd’s big, sunny extended kitchen, with bifolds making a picture frame for a lovely garden, but I still love home with my ancient, much smaller kitchen. Overall our house is bigger though, and I know dd would love the extra space and plentiful cupboards.

I always miss my own bed when staying away anywhere - and much as I love the Gdcs (8, 6 and 3) I do relish the P and Q once I’m back home. Not to mention everything relatively tidy - dd’s house is usually ‘carnage’ as she cheerfully puts it, but I suspect it’d be the same even in a house 3 times the size. Even when not working she always has better things to do than tidying.

Ktsmum Tue 23-May-23 11:29:45

My own loo😅😅😅, strangely enough my sister is the same🤣

MillieBoris Tue 23-May-23 13:17:44

Made the mistake of going for an early package deal to Spain ….. dire. Rain, ghastly loud people, etc etc. I miss my garden which is now probably a desert with dry weather, miss my bed and I’m fed up with eating in restaurants and trying to find a quiet place in the rain to read my book - am I getting old??!! Sounds rather spoilt I know. The hotel is meant to be 4 star - 2 would have been applicable - only doing breakfast but that’s a challenge. Can’t wait to get home

knspol Tue 23-May-23 13:30:55

Likewise Greyduster, since losing DH I haven't been away at all and don't know how I would manage away from home without him by my side. Never missed home while being away before except an occasional longing for a really good cuppa and a very plain sandwich when in far off climes. Set in my ways now I suppose and nervous of any change whereas I used to actively embrace change.

Summerfly Tue 23-May-23 13:54:30

Pretty much the same for me really. We’re away in our caravan for a few days. Lovely site and a 10min walk into town. The weather’s been extremely kind this last couple of days, but I do get homesick.
I’ll be going abroad to stay with DD and her family very soon. Much as I love them all to bits, I’m always ready for home, and I hate all the chaos at the airport too. Am I getting set in my ways? Yes, absolutely……and that’s okay.

nexus63 Tue 23-May-23 13:58:06

i visit my dad once a year usually for about 3 weeks, for me it is a 4 hour train journey with a change of trains. he stays in an ex sheltered housing home, no wi-fi, i miss my laptop, my quiet time, my radio, having to take a bus to the shops, my freezer, not being able to hang my clothes up, my washing machine.
i love my dad but he had been out of my life since i was 3 and i only found him 7 years ago, he is scared of any kind of tech, like my laptop or smart phone, basically so set in his ways that there is a lot of complaining, last year i got a tesco delivery and he could not cope with the amount of food i bought. . i miss him when i leave, but on the train home after 3 hours and i cross the border into scotland i finally can relax knowing i am nearly home and we can go back to our hourly sunday phone calls and i can catch up on the several hundred emails i will have on my lonely laptop...lol

SueDonim Tue 23-May-23 14:15:21

Nexus you can use your mobile phone as a hot spot if you want internet access. I did that when we were in temp accommodation last year. Buy a Bolt On package from your provider so you know what the up front costs are.

madeleine45 Tue 23-May-23 14:16:30

I miss my old garden which I loved very much. As I was in a house I could go out if I could not sleep and wander around with secateurs enjoying the peace and quiet. Here one of the things is that in your own place, on your own, if you want you can just shut the door on something half done or make the most of an early sunny walk and leave the clearing up until later. I am a great radio 3 listener and in particular love Bach and never make any noise while it is playing. At home I can get up at 5am if I want or need to. However lovely someone elses home is you are aware of them, and not disturbing people. My pleasure is sitting with my fresh coffee listening to Bach before 7 is missed greatly. Other peoples meal times dont tend to match in with the routine you have got for yourself do they? Singing along with some arias and walzing to Strauss in the middle of the room dont quite transfer across!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 23-May-23 14:20:07

I spent last week in Kew looking after my granddaughter. I loved being five minutes from the Tube - I didn’t use my car until I drove home. I miss my bed, kitchen and bathroom. Son and his partner have the most uncomfortable sofa in the world! I miss my cats. I talk to OH once or twice every day. He worked abroad for most of his working life so we are used to being apart. I am in Kew again this weekend and will spend two weeks in Australia in August for niece number 3’s wedding.

Gundy Tue 23-May-23 14:32:08

Relish every moment with your dear grandchildren (I think you are! 🥰 ) because as you know, at our age sh!+ happens and it could be cut short. So you’re sacrificing a few days, but I know exactly what you mean. I’d miss my bed and routine in general. You’ll need a vacation when you get home!
Cheers!
USA Gundy

NanaDana Tue 23-May-23 14:57:29

Now I'm pushing 80 and my exciting, globetrotting days are most certainly behind me, I'm taking an increasing delight in just wallowing in the comfortable familiarity of my own home and its surroundings. Even in my world-traveller days, I always looked forward to coming home, where I would once again be surrounded by all those little things that signalled "comfort and normality" to me, and where familiar faces would welcome me back... although sadly these days, many of those faces live on only in our precious memories. So for me, there truly is no place like home.

Lyndie Tue 23-May-23 17:24:15

I am away at my daughter’s. She has just had an operation, so in hospital. I am alone. I am not used to it. Her lovely cat is scared of me! I think we set our homes up, how we like things and it becomes our comfort zone and of course it’s so different in someone’s else’s home.

Poppyred Tue 23-May-23 17:28:48

I always miss being away from home but looking after grandchildren or going away on holiday is a nice diversion- and makes me appreciate my home all the more.

missdeke Tue 23-May-23 18:48:59

I only miss my bed, it's an electric one so I can adjust it to suit my back. I usually end up using pillows to try and make a slope. I don;t miss my pillow though as it always goes with me!

seadragon Tue 23-May-23 20:01:30

Last time we were away staying with family in self catering I took the dog out last thing on the last night to cool off after yet another spat with the 18 year old DGS, "J". I came back to all the fire alarms squawking and general pandemonium. Went into fire safety officer mode shouting "Fire! Fire! Everybody Out'. Seeing everyone rushing in the general direction of the exit, except 18 year old DGS shrieked "where is "J"?," who came thundering down the stairs demanding "why do you always blame me?" Meanwhile 11 year old DGD came hurtling out of the downstairs loo screaming and crying hysterically as the remainder of the 10 strong company filed in disorderly fashion past her to the exit. The dog was barking its head off as well....... Of course everyone was shouting as well. Eventually I made out that aforementioned DGS was pointing out that the alarm had been triggered by steam billowing out of the shower room where DGD had gone for a calming shower, having got dog poo all over the new trainers she'd spent her holiday money on. DD had set the temperature of the water for her then left her to it, gone to the kitchen to fill the kettle and the temperature of the shower had zoomed up to near scalding causing all the chaos when DGD opened the loo door to escape.....!! At that point I very much missed the tranquil existence DH and I have on our remote Northern Isle...... We're having another gathering at the end of August. Can't wait!!

red1 Tue 23-May-23 21:30:53

i am envious of you folk who love coming home,sadly i miss my grandchildren too much,it is a terrible wrench leaving them and i do not like like where i live and the house i live in ,something has to change! thanks for this post ,it has made me realise that i have to make a change very soon.

Wyllow3 Tue 23-May-23 21:52:17

I'm just a home bird. Even when I was young. More now. I could specify this or that I suppose but its the comfort and - I dont know is this is common

a sort of almost "identification" of my home with my own self lIke part of me is in my home and I miss it.... My "stuff.", rhythm, routine.

On a holiday of say 2 weeks by day 9 I had utterly had enough. In a weeks holiday I wanted to be back on day 6.....

Wyllow3 Tue 23-May-23 21:53:54

red1 go for it. You can live nearer grandchildren?

I have to move, but will carry those familiar things like a tortoise carries its shell.

Juicylucy Wed 24-May-23 08:52:32

I’m with primrose53 on this apart from the pony which I unfortunately don’t have. Especially light bright houses.

JPB123 Wed 24-May-23 21:09:53

I miss the horses ,my dogs and the garden..I also miss my bedroom and dressing room, but adore the grandchildren getting into bed with me in the mornings, being with the rest of our family.

overthehill Wed 24-May-23 23:37:04

I find as I have aged I don't have the endurance for lots of things anymore. A couple of hours in the company of friends and relatives is nice but once it starts to stretch I get the urge to leave and get home.