Gransnet forums

Chat

Rolf Harris is dead

(116 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 23-May-23 14:51:37

"Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred". Ironic really

Some would say "good", although at 93 he's had a good run. I'm a wee bit conflicted about Rolf. Yes, he was a bastard, so it turned out, and somehow I knew that for a long time. When they were all being rounded up in the aftermath of the Savile revelations I'm on record as saying "they'll be coming for Rolf Harris next". Jimmy Savile always gave me the creeps and I never cared at all for Gary Glitter but Rolf was an important part of my childhood, in an entirely innocent way. He was a sublimely talented children's entertainer and I know some say that you can't hear Sun Arise or Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport or Jake the Peg without them now being tainted by a whole new subtext but I can still enjoy singing them, including to children who don't know the truth.

(I love the music of Richard Wagner too and he was a completely nasty piece of work in so many ways. Antisemitism wasn't the half of it)

Septimia Tue 23-May-23 15:02:22

Rolf was a good entertainer but not a nice person. Lots of people have both good and bad in them. There's no reason why we shouldn't acknowledge that. Let's face it, most of us have a public face and a private life - it's just that the latter isn't usually illegal.

As Shakespeare put it in Julius Caesar "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones".

sodapop Tue 23-May-23 15:10:44

I was taken aback when the news about Rolf Harris broke. I had no inkling at all of his proclivities. Unfortunately his family have to live with this knowledge now it must be hard to bear. I agree with Septimia's last paragraph.

dogsmother Tue 23-May-23 15:14:28

I just said good when I heard.
No time for anything to do with paedophiles surprised at myself for responding here even. Yeuk.

Blossoming Tue 23-May-23 15:20:26

Same here Dogsmother

MrsThatcher Tue 23-May-23 15:22:50

Good riddance 🤮

Esmay Tue 23-May-23 15:27:47

I used to love to watch Rolf Harris doing his artwork on TV .
I thought that it was
marvellous .

I was so shocked and disappointed to hear that he was a paedophile .

eazybee Tue 23-May-23 15:39:07

I agree with you , Lady Dedlock; I remember him as a talented artist and entertainer; my daughter said, like you, he was part of her childhood and I don't believe he came anywhere near Savile or G.Glitter as a paedophile.

lixy Tue 23-May-23 15:40:29

Agree with you Esmay.

We enjoyed watching Rolf as a family when we were little, he was so unstuffy.
Shocked and profoundly disappointed when the later revelations were made.
I never did have any time for Jimmy Savile or Gary Glitter - far too showy for my taste even then.

Galaxy Tue 23-May-23 15:43:49

I am not conflicted as I thought he was a dreadful entertainer too.

silverlining48 Tue 23-May-23 15:49:41

We were all let down by this paedophile who managed to pull the wool over everyone’s eyes.
This is why when politicians accused of similar have colleagues saying what nice chaps they are, for heavens sake, they have no idea of what can go on behind closed doors.

karmalady Tue 23-May-23 15:52:44

Good riddance

Blondiescot Tue 23-May-23 15:59:41

My immediate reaction was also good riddance. There's a special place in hell for paedophiles. And not as bad as Savile or Glitter? I didn't know there was a league table for paedophilia.

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 16:07:42

I’m another who was so disappointed I liked the Rolf we saw I admired his artistic talents and I saw him in person at a music festival and he seemed such a personable guy but I certainly didn’t admire his other side and felt very disappointed in him

Gary Glitter Saville and others I didn’t like they all gave me the creeps Rolf Harris didn’t before I knew so I was very surprised and let down by him

VioletSky Tue 23-May-23 16:08:11

Nope

Won't be singing his silly songs or remembering anything he did fondly

Because everything he did was to enable his access to children

His memory can die along with him

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 23-May-23 16:08:24

Not a league table as such, but Saville had offended for nearly fifty years, mainly in plain sight. A lot of people knew. Although why he managed to get so close to Charles, who knows. Harris though, does not seem to have been so rampant.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 23-May-23 16:10:03

Blondiescot

My immediate reaction was also good riddance. There's a special place in hell for paedophiles. And not as bad as Savile or Glitter? I didn't know there was a league table for paedophilia.

I meant that I could always see something not right about Savile and Gary Glitter but Rolf Harris was harder to read.

silverlining48 Tue 23-May-23 16:17:11

Rolf Harris could and probably was doing this fir 50 years too, paedophiles don’t just do these awful things once or twice, it’s lifelong.

MeowWow Tue 23-May-23 16:20:08

Good riddance. I hope he’s rotting in hell.

Theexwife Tue 23-May-23 16:22:31

eazybee

I agree with you , Lady Dedlock; I remember him as a talented artist and entertainer; my daughter said, like you, he was part of her childhood and I don't believe he came anywhere near Savile or G.Glitter as a paedophile.

What an odd thing to say, he came near to Savile and Glitter in that he was a paedophile, there are not good and bad ones.

Blossoming Tue 23-May-23 16:23:47

As a small child I found ‘Jake the Peg’ hilarious and I loved watching him do those enormous paintings.

When his criminal activities were discovered I actually felt let down in some way. Savile was creepy, Harris didn’t have the same vibe.

LadyGaGa Tue 23-May-23 16:36:09

Yes, he was part of my childhood and a part of my children’s with Animal Hospital. Would I ever hum his tunes? No. He was a paedophile - end of. I am very surprised by some of the comments about him being a paedophile at the bottom of the scale! What!? I agree with VS - his jobs were all to enable him to get near children.

HeavenLeigh Tue 23-May-23 16:37:13

Hoorah! Another one gone, no more to say

HousePlantQueen Tue 23-May-23 16:40:32

I understand what you mean, LHD, I too always found Savile and Glitter repellent, and there are a couple of performers around at the moment who give me the same creepy revulsion, but Rolf Harris was a happy part of my childhood, and he was a talented artist. I am not excusing him, nor do I think there is a 'league table' of paedophiles, but I was sad when the truth came out about him.

Grandmagrewit Tue 23-May-23 16:41:19

I agree with Septimia - there are undoubtedly many people in the world of entertainment and the arts whose public profile and work we like (or have liked) but whose private life we would disagree with or hate. Like Septimia and her love of Wagner's music, I have a dilemma with Eric Gill's sculpture and paintings. Nowadays, however, it is less easy to hide illegal behaviour whereas, in the past, the exploits of Savile, Harris and Glitter were largely covered up - by the BBC, amongst others - who either didn't believe the victims or didn't want to lose their hugely popular entertainer. I have no particular fond memories of either Jim'll Fix It or the Rolf Harris TV shows but I'm sad that, 50 years on from my clubbing days, I can't just include "Rock and Roll" on my playlist without thinking about the connoitations.