Gransnet forums

Chat

Rolf Harris is dead

(117 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 23-May-23 14:51:37

"Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred". Ironic really

Some would say "good", although at 93 he's had a good run. I'm a wee bit conflicted about Rolf. Yes, he was a bastard, so it turned out, and somehow I knew that for a long time. When they were all being rounded up in the aftermath of the Savile revelations I'm on record as saying "they'll be coming for Rolf Harris next". Jimmy Savile always gave me the creeps and I never cared at all for Gary Glitter but Rolf was an important part of my childhood, in an entirely innocent way. He was a sublimely talented children's entertainer and I know some say that you can't hear Sun Arise or Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport or Jake the Peg without them now being tainted by a whole new subtext but I can still enjoy singing them, including to children who don't know the truth.

(I love the music of Richard Wagner too and he was a completely nasty piece of work in so many ways. Antisemitism wasn't the half of it)

Allsorts Fri 26-May-23 13:47:07

Why do people like him live a long life, die surrounded by family and friends . I just hope there is a hereafter and he’s held to account. Just wonder how his victims family life has worked out. Abuse stays with most people and changes them. His victims a lot of them so very young. He was despicable.

biglouis Fri 26-May-23 14:01:59

The most profound implication of the Savile scandal, and one rarely commented on, is that it has been used as a means for shifting policy to belief in all allegations of abuse and turning a blind eye to false allegations. Consider some of the public and prominent figures who were accused in the wake of the Saville scandal - and were subsequently found to be innocent. (Sir Cliff Richard, Paul Gambaccini and Neil Fox). Its easy for so-called victims to come oozing out of the woodwork when they think there is some money to be made.

All too often these allegations of so called historical abuse can neither be conclusively proved nor disproved.

CrazyMazy Fri 26-May-23 14:47:26

Over 40 years ago I had a neighbour who was the ‘pillar of the community’ the local fire chief, school governor and helped with the children’s swimming classes at the infants and junior schools. He always appeared friendly and jolly. He came to my house early one evening after my children had gone to bed and my husband was out for the evening, asking to talk about something to do with the school. When I went to make us coffee he attacked me and raped me. I never reported it to anyone. Who would have believed me? No witnesses. He had 3 children and his wife was a really lovely teacher at a local private school. All I did was to avoid all further contact with him and his family. But I do wonder what else he did and who else he may have attacked. I never even told my husband because I was so scared.

Iam64 Fri 26-May-23 14:57:19

I have always been uneasy about many light entertainers. I may have been more aware after age 16 my next door neighbour age 18 was trusted by my parents to take me a (non alcohol) club in Manchester. She warned me to keep away from the dj, jimmy saville because he likes girls young. I was tall and she thought too old for him.
I always fiubd him weird as well as creepily threatening. Felt the same about Harris
It’s im[octant to remember, prosecution of sex offenders is rare. Not being prosecuted should t always be seen as ‘proof the were found innocent’

icanhandthemback Fri 26-May-23 14:58:36

GrannyGravy13

icanhandthemback

I can't find it in myself to wish that he rests in peace but I do hope that the non-complicit members of his family are now left to live their lives more peacefully.

I agree, but have doubts as to whether his wife was totally unaware of his sexual tendencies.

So do I which is why I said non-complicit members of his family.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-May-23 15:37:17

icanhandthemback

GrannyGravy13

icanhandthemback

I can't find it in myself to wish that he rests in peace but I do hope that the non-complicit members of his family are now left to live their lives more peacefully.

I agree, but have doubts as to whether his wife was totally unaware of his sexual tendencies.

So do I which is why I said non-complicit members of his family.

👍

Ning Sat 27-May-23 06:08:51

A paedophile is a paedophile. How odd that some comments indicate that there is some kind of league table. Doesn't matter how talented the person is all that pales into insignificance once sexual abuse of children comes to light. That terrible crime exposes the guilty person's true character. He is someone I choose to wholeheartedly forget.

jocork Sat 27-May-23 08:48:32

When I was a teenager I sang in my school choir. We went to London to record as part of Cliff Richard's Sunday evening show. On the day of the recording I was chatted up by Rolf in the BBC canteen who asked me to sit with him and sing to him, but being quite shy I declined. One of my friends did sit with him for lunch. When the news about him broke I wondered if I'd had a narrow escape, though I doubt he could have behaved too inappropriately in the BBC canteen!

MerylStreep Sat 27-May-23 09:06:24

jocork
He abused Vanessa Feltz in full view of his wife and a camera crew. And nobody said a word because he was so powerful, ie, he knew what lots in the industry were up to.

Galaxy Sat 27-May-23 15:21:37

Its reassuring that that couldnt happen nowadays isnt it Meryl.
Glances at breaking news, oh.

Iam64 Sat 27-May-23 18:18:48

Jo cork, sex offenders are skilled at perpetrating abuse in -lain sight. I know a headteacher who indecently assaulted the vulnerable children in front of the class. No one saw

NanKate Sat 27-May-23 21:14:44

GOOD - pity he hung on for so long.

He abused his daughter’s friend but they still stuck by him.

Doodledog Sat 27-May-23 21:34:21

Galaxy

Its reassuring that that couldnt happen nowadays isnt it Meryl.
Glances at breaking news, oh.

Nodding and tapping nose

JaneJudge Sun 28-May-23 13:12:22

The thing is, it has been common knowledge and gossiped about for ages but everyone turned a blind eye. I think it was only RL who had spoken out about how wrong it was/is

GrannyRose15 Sun 28-May-23 21:01:10

I regret not being able to sing”Two Little Boys” which I love. All these revelations about abuse has had a serious affect on my and I’m sure others’ recollections of their childhoods. Don’t feel I can say “Jim’ll fix it” or “Clunk click every trip” any more even though they are useful idioms that should have been retained in the language.

Clawdy Mon 29-May-23 22:52:37

At least "Two Little Boys" was a very old song from way before the Harris version, so not one of his original ones.