Gransnet forums

Chat

The return of David Cameron

(140 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Mon 13-Nov-23 15:09:00

What a very clever move indeed to bring David Cameron back into the Cabinet. Tories all must be shaking in their boots with a General Election nigh and the shambolic government at present.

David Cameron was respected by a great many people and his return must give a much needed boost to Tory morale. The chap has a backbone.

MerylStreep Mon 13-Nov-23 16:42:50

The fraud office are still investigating Greensill Capitol.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 16:47:34

Germanshepherdsmum

So who else would you suggest who has the experience and diplomatic skills to deal with what’s happening in the world?

Surely they’ve got someone else! It not then what on earth does it say about the quality of the MPs?

Theresa May? At least she has no scandal attached to her. (As far as we know- although nothing would surprise me these days)

Siope Mon 13-Nov-23 16:49:25

Don’t you think that given what is happening in Ukraine…

That’d be Cameron who appeared happy with Russia’s 2014 invasion of Ukraine and annexation of the Crimea? Can’t imagine Zelenskyy is overly chuffed to see him back.

and the Middle East.

which is still paying the price for his disastrous intervention in Libya, and where he is widely known as pro-Saudi, which will alienate many in the region (and in Parliament).

I think it’s a divisive move; it signals clearly that Sunak is valuing ‘blue wall’ seats over those in the ‘red wall’; Cameron is despised by the right wing of the Parliamentary party; he had - and may still have - a much more pro-China viewpoint than many Tory MPs; and he still has Greensill hanging over him (see: relationship with Saudi Arabia).

And that’s without his poor track record of working with Europe and the USA.

Cadenza123 Mon 13-Nov-23 16:50:37

No wonder Cameron's looking like the cat has got the cream. Life peerage and another bite at the cherry. GE can't come soon enough.

MaizieD Mon 13-Nov-23 16:51:34

I think, too, that Theresa May would have been fine.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Nov-23 16:52:22

Just because someone is elected an MP by their constituents, it doesn’t follow that they are suited for one of the great Offices of State, especially in times such as we have now. MPs are elected to serve their constituents.

Theresa May has imho a good Home Secretary but at the risk of sounding sexist I don’t think a woman is best suited to dealing with the Ukraine, Putin, Hamas and Netanyahu.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 16:53:47

I don’t think it will make a blind bit of difference to the polls.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 16:54:17

Germanshepherdsmum

Just because someone is elected an MP by their constituents, it doesn’t follow that they are suited for one of the great Offices of State, especially in times such as we have now. MPs are elected to serve their constituents.

Theresa May has imho a good Home Secretary but at the risk of sounding sexist I don’t think a woman is best suited to dealing with the Ukraine, Putin, Hamas and Netanyahu.

Blimey

Forlornhope Mon 13-Nov-23 17:00:12

LilyoftheValley

What a very clever move indeed to bring David Cameron back into the Cabinet. Tories all must be shaking in their boots with a General Election nigh and the shambolic government at present.

David Cameron was respected by a great many people and his return must give a much needed boost to Tory morale. The chap has a backbone.

Really?! All those women in their mid fifties made redundant in 2010 & 2011 may well think differently. Their occupational pensions not accessible until 60 or 65 and the state pension even further away. And that’s not even touching on the shambles of his later years as PM.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Nov-23 17:00:56

Let’s not forget that Cameron presided over austerity, the effects of which are still being felt. Supposedly he didn’t make as many millions out of Greensill as he was expected to. His involvement with that isn’t going away, is it. They’re already questioning him about it. Speaker isn’t happy, either.

Primrose53 Mon 13-Nov-23 17:15:50

Germanshepherdsmum

So who else would you suggest who has the experience and diplomatic skills to deal with what’s happening in the world?

I think whitewavemark2 would only welcome anybody with a red rosette. 🤣

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 17:17:11

Primrose53

Germanshepherdsmum

I think whitewavemark2 would only welcome anybody with a red rosette. 🤣

Of course!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Nov-23 17:20:25

Absolutely right Primrose. But for the time being (and I hope for a long time to come) blue will have to suffice. I actually can’t think of anyone in the shadow cabinet who could do the job, especially in the current climate. What experience do they have to offer?

Casdon Mon 13-Nov-23 17:24:06

They might bring back David Milliband GermanShepherdsmum. I mean, he won’t have to secure a seat and be re-elected, they could just make him a Lord, it’s easy.

Casdon Mon 13-Nov-23 17:27:47

And out of interest, there have been eight Tory Foreign Secreraies since Milliband, and the only one who has served longer than he did was William Hague.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Nov-23 17:30:12

So basically you’re admitting that the shadow cabinet doesn’t have what it takes. Just how much experience of government do they have? And I think David Milliband has made his position very well known. I very much doubt he’s for hire.

Casdon Mon 13-Nov-23 17:42:33

Did I say that? I think that’s the case with the current government though, having been through eight in the last 13 years they are now scraping the barrel.
I do think David Milliband was very good in the role, and I’d love to see him return to frontline politics, but he isn’t the only one who could do it at all from the Labour shadow cabinet. There are five with previous ministerial experience in fact, which is probably more than in the current government who were in ministerial roles in 2010. We could revisit this when the Tories have been out of office for 13 years and see how many of them are experienced if you like.

Pittcity Mon 13-Nov-23 17:43:26

I like the Mumsnet comment that having Cameron back is like turning yesterday's knickers inside out and putting them back on. Does the job but only if there's no alternative.

eazybee Mon 13-Nov-23 17:47:56

If Cameron comes, can Blair be far behind?

Casdon Mon 13-Nov-23 17:48:30

When last he commented by the way, David Milliband hinted he hadn’t ruled out a return.
www.newstatesman.com/politics/labour/2022/11/david-miliband-rejoin-labour-comeback

MayBee70 Mon 13-Nov-23 18:46:25

Did anyone hear Cameron refer to himself as the future PM which he swiftly amended to previous PM? Freudian slip? Wishful thinking?? Cunning plan…..? I guess he can’t now unless he un Lords himself.

Galaxy Mon 13-Nov-23 19:21:20

Never mind Cameron, my MP has been made chair of the conservative party. To be fair this is probably good news for Labour, he really isnt very good.

Oreo Mon 13-Nov-23 21:36:13

It sure was a surprise I must say, to see Cameron returning to government. 😲

Cold Mon 13-Nov-23 22:05:57

So the government has to rush through a Baronetcy for Cameron in order to get him into the House of Lords because he is no longer an MP

... it all sounds pretty desperate

Pumpkinpie Mon 13-Nov-23 22:15:15

Cameron was an incompetent twit whose Brexit mess has brought the UK to the brink. How anyone could ignore his arrogant incompetence is beyond me