Gransnet forums

Chat

Oliver Dowden advises us to "stock up" but is anyone listening?

(54 Posts)
Margs Tue 05-Dec-23 12:57:07

It may well be sage, commonsense advice but after the "advice" shambles during Covid I'm afraid anything a government minister says these days just makes me roll my eyes. OK, mini-rant over. Thank you.

Freya5 Thu 07-Dec-23 12:46:14

vampirequeen

Well this will certainly lead to panic buying and profiteering. It will be toilet rolls all over again. I wonder if he has shares in torch and candle manufactures.

My sister in law stocks up all the time, veritable warehouse. The panick buying during Covid was due to greedy people, not giving a damn about anyone else. Nothing to do with a Government directive , and what is wrong with advice from the Gov.honestly some people getting knickers ina twist, about nothing.

ExaltedWombat Thu 07-Dec-23 13:24:57

Urmstongran

Oliver Dowden was visiting Porton Down when he said this. It wasn’t a weather wearing. It was about precautionary measures in case of an attack. Batteries for analogue transistor radios to keep citizens abreast of the news in case of electricity outages.
😱

Digital portable radios are also available!

MaggsMcG Thu 07-Dec-23 13:31:53

Well if I have no electricity I'm stuck. I don't have any other form of heating food or my home. I have gas central heating which won't work without electricity. So once my hot water tank is empty that's it. I'd have to go to one of my daughters. One has a gas fire in her living room but electric cooker. One has a gas cooker so we could sit on the kitchen and have hot good. The other has an open fire in living room.and camping gear. 🤣

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 07-Dec-23 13:54:38

We are all electric too. We have a small calor gas camping stove with two rings and two calor gas heaters which we can get out in the event of a power cut.

annodomini Thu 07-Dec-23 14:03:27

Oh dear! All my family are all-electric and so am I. I have a torch and a candle. Perhaps today I'll head for the shops with a survival list.

Dickens Thu 07-Dec-23 14:07:16

Another reason not to become a 'cashless' society.

In a cyber attack - or simply when power cuts out - your card won't work in the supermarket. As some have already discovered.

If it's only for a few hours that's one thing, but if we are without electricity for a few days, that's a whole other scenario.

We're so reliant on technology. And when it doesn't work, it affects so many aspects of the nation's and people's lives. We should keep the belt as well as the braces.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 07-Dec-23 14:19:18

How would you withdraw cash without a card though? Unless of course you have a bank branch (none round here now) where you can present a cheque made out to Cash.

DrWatson Thu 07-Dec-23 14:28:00

For Urmston, calling a politician a "shirt button" is an error. Shirt buttons are useful . . .

Stansgran Thu 07-Dec-23 14:41:09

I still have the candles from the crisis over the Millennium which didn’t happen. I do remember power cuts in Liverpool about 1970 and I had a gas fire and cooker so I had a lot of friends! I still like to be able to make a meal from the cupboard of tins if needed and I do always have dried soup mix in for slow soups.

Lyndie Thu 07-Dec-23 14:47:21

Also living in rural Wiltshire. In the past the electricity has been off for 8 hours. So last year we bought a generator. Last month we were without power for a few hours and it was great.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Dec-23 14:56:30

We've got candles, petrol coupons from the 1970s, a very old Christmas pudding in the cupboard, together with a tin of custard and the chocolate I bought for the DGC.
smile

Dickens Thu 07-Dec-23 15:04:16

Germanshepherdsmum

How would you withdraw cash without a card though? Unless of course you have a bank branch (none round here now) where you can present a cheque made out to Cash.

I was thinking more in terms of always having a few notes and coins in your purse, as we used to do at one time.

Not huge amounts - but enough to buy bread and some tins of food, etc.

I keep about £40 or maybe a bit less in my wallet - after a small local supermarket had some kind of problem whilst I was shopping a while back. I'd already loaded up. I thought the tills wouldn't work without electricity but apparently they have a spring-loaded mechanism which allows them to be opened manually. Anyway, I was able to buy the essentials.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 07-Dec-23 15:20:15

We also make sure we have plenty of cash always - and full tanks in the cars.

Casdon Thu 07-Dec-23 15:48:54

Stocking up on dog food is one thing I hadn’t done, but as I was lying in bed last night thinking about being prepared I realised our lives would be hell if we run out - unlike us, I can’t just give the dog anything we’ve got in the freezer or cupboards. Rectified this morning when I went shopping.

Tergly Thu 07-Dec-23 16:10:28

Urmstongran

Would shirt button have meant "unimaginatively conventional"? That was the only reference I could find.

Bella23 Thu 07-Dec-23 16:28:42

We have an oiled fired AGA,so as long as we can get oil were are alright but Hutti rebels in the Red Sea! We have a log burner in the lounge which at a push you could put a non-electric kettle on though burn smokeless fuel to save the environment.
Sellafield is just on the other side of the mountains. They are meant to be vulnerable to AI attacks from Russia and China. I think we are finished.
I can remember my father saying this when my mother had come in from some meeting when I was small.
We've been without water for days when some pipes broke and had to go to a collection centre for it and we're still waiting for the trees near power lines to be felled.
The bliss of living in the British countryside, yet nothing to what they are having to deal with in the Gaza Strip.

MerylStreep Thu 07-Dec-23 17:13:17

We will ever de- camp to the motohome where we have central heating and satellite tv. As long as the sun shines we’ll be ok for power with the solar panels.
If it doesn’t we’ll de-camp to a friends boat, all mod cons off grid.

karmalady Thu 07-Dec-23 17:20:59

I have enough of everything but wrt the russian cyber attacks, I suppose the reservoirs would be an easy target as everything is computerised now. I already have water purifying tabs so I will connect up one of my big water butts as they are empty down to the taps. I can be completely self-sufficient when I have done that.

nanaK54 Thu 07-Dec-23 17:23:09

Callistemon21

We've got candles, petrol coupons from the 1970s, a very old Christmas pudding in the cupboard, together with a tin of custard and the chocolate I bought for the DGC.
smile

Ah you'll be fine then grin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Dec-23 17:24:50

Best put an order in to Laithwaites, cannot be left without wine or champagne 🍾🍷

Livey Thu 07-Dec-23 17:31:56

Shirt button. Brilliant

Sweetsnbooksnradio4 Thu 07-Dec-23 17:42:02

Me too - I looked it up online but nothing in the slang dictionary…

Sweetsnbooksnradio4 Thu 07-Dec-23 17:43:33

Regarding ‘shirt button!’

Esmay Thu 07-Dec-23 18:49:14

I have the seige mentality !
I always keep supplies of candles and tinned goods even if it has made my kitchen cluttered .
I've been ill on and off since early August and now , for over a month so I'm glad to have emergency milk powder and tinned food .

Lucyd Thu 07-Dec-23 19:31:11

I always have torches, candles, firewood, and plenty of tinned foods in the house. Also have a wee calor gas cooker (but would struggle to get it working!) Also always have some cash. Live in a rural area and think it could easily be cut off in bad weather (in fact last week my son turned up in the landrover to take me to work as am up a steep hill and there is no way my car could have made it). In the last house we were cut off on a few occasions - drifts several feet deep which we just couldn't get through even though main road two miles away was fine. Ran out of chocolate and was forced to have the cooking chocolate on one occasion! This has reminded me to pick up a couple of cartons of uht milk tomorrow.