Gransnet forums

Chat

Pattie Boyd selling her love letters.

(150 Posts)
Sago Tue 27-Feb-24 14:16:20

Pattie Boyd, now 79 is selling her love letters from Eric Clapton.

I feel it’s so sad to have something so personal and once so precious up for auction.

Obviously their relationship was over a long time ago but whilst Eric Clapton is still alive it seems wrong.

Am I too sentimental or do you feel the same?

Georgesgran Tue 27-Feb-24 14:19:46

Maybe Eric will buy them?

It does seem a bit wrong.
When I found letters sent between my parents, just before and after their wedding - I burned them, as I felt they weren’t mine and meant for no other eyes, but theirs.

JamesandJon33 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:20:42

No I agree with you*Sago*. Best kept to herself. Perhaps she needs the money. I can think of no other reason

Urmstongran Tue 27-Feb-24 14:23:32

I think it’s tacky but apparently she contacted Clapton and he doesn’t mind the auction of his letters and of course Harrison is dead.

To be such a beautiful woman eh? Enough to inspire Harrison to write ‘Something’ and Clapton the angst ridden (powerful) ‘Layla’ - “you’ve got me on my knees” 🎵 just Wow!

kittylester Tue 27-Feb-24 14:24:30

I was horrified and slightly bemused to see that she hadn't changed her look since her hey day. I felt quite sad for her and for George's wife and son.

kazz94 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:24:58

It’s very bad taste to profit from something so personal. If they had all passed then maybe it becomes a nostalgic history but with Eric still alive too I don’t think it’s right. And what type of person would buy them??

kittylester Tue 27-Feb-24 14:28:23

I do think that Beautiful Tonight is one of the most beautiful love songs ever written.

Georgesgran Tue 27-Feb-24 14:30:06

Wonderful tonight kitty?

MayBee70 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:31:04

I’ve never really understood why she was such a muse to both Harrison and Clapton. If it’s down to looks I always thought her sister was much prettier.In my youth I always wanted to look like Jean Shrimpton. ( I know this is both very bitchy and shallow of me…)

NotAGran55 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:45:06

I have met Patti Maybee and she has the ‘it’ factor. Very sexy, vivacious and she lit up the room with her smile. Prettiness isn’t always attractive if the personality doesn’t match.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 14:45:47

I think it’s in poor taste.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Feb-24 14:48:17

I had to have a nosey at the 79 year old Pattie Boyd so I Googled her.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Feb-24 14:50:45

And at a Beatles convention in Liverpool in 2018 where she looked a bit more ‘weathered’ in my opinion.

Kate1949 Tue 27-Feb-24 14:55:57

I always felt that George should have married me. grin He was a big part of my life. I still love him. My family refer to him as 'your George.' I could never figure out why he chose a beautiful top model and not a poor girl from the back streets of Birmingham! And yes I did meet him once (sort of). Seriously though, Beatles fans always hated the wives. I think Pattie has had a fabulous but sad life. Neither of those men treated her well, especially Clapton. I don't think badly of her for selling the items. I'm sure she has hundreds more. You can view the items online if you are interested, which I was.

pascal30 Tue 27-Feb-24 15:00:17

I saw her speaking recently at a festival, and subsequently bought the book she had written. She is now very charming and quite funny, but it is clear from the book that she was incredibly naiive and innocent when she met George and that she didn't have a happy or easy time with either man and wasn't respected by them.. I imagine she needs the money which is why she is selling, I doubt she has a sentimental attachment to the letters..

Kate1949 Tue 27-Feb-24 15:05:42

I wouldn't imagine she needs the money. Her net worth is said to be $20 million and she is married to a property developer.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 15:16:48

I think the first photo was airbrushed?

TinSoldier Tue 27-Feb-24 15:19:25

I undertsand she is selling letters from George Harrison and Eric Clapton.

The letters are still subject to copyright. The author of the letter is normally the first owner of copyright in their literary work. Copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.

The recipient is the owner of the physical object.

Where the owner of the letter is not the copyright owner, they must first seek permission from the copyright owner before reproducing the letter. However, copyright does not prevent the recipient of a letter from showing the original letter to another third party as this does not involve reproduction.

This would prevent Christie's reproducing any of the content in its sales catalogue or any buyer from, say, reproducing, the content of the letters in a book without the express permission of (presumably) Olivia Harrison or Eric Clapton.

kittylester Tue 27-Feb-24 15:19:28

Georgesgran

Wonderful tonight kitty?

Yep - that's the one - Should concentrate!!

Calendargirl Tue 27-Feb-24 15:31:57

The words of ‘Wonderful Tonight’- the thought that you were the inspiration! What a feeling!

I thought Eric was the most gorgeous, sexy man until I went to see him at the Royal Albert Hall, must be nearly 30 years ago.

He came across as not really wanting to be there, just ‘another’ gig to be got through.

Very disappointing.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 27-Feb-24 15:34:11

The owner of the object is entitled to sell it, and Clapton has apparently agreed which would amount to a waiver of any intellectual property rights he may have in the letters he wrote. He is the author of almost every piece of writing Christie’s are auctioning. They will know the law around intellectual property rights.

Kate1949 Tue 27-Feb-24 15:35:30

I could never take to Eric Clapton. I bet he would be devastated to hear that!

Urmstongran Tue 27-Feb-24 15:36:19

Watch Clapton though on YouTube on stage performing ‘Layla’. The clip where he’s with another guitarist who gives Clapton a wide grin as he ‘riffs’ about - aware that ‘Layla’ chords are about to explode. Gives me goose bumps every time I watch it! Imagine being Pattie!

TinSoldier Tue 27-Feb-24 15:42:05

Does agreement to the sale amount to a waiver of copyright? Ownership and copyright are two different things. That’s what I was saying. Of course, Christie’s will know what the score is and hopefully make it clear to prospective buyers what they can and can’t do with the letters.

rafichagran Tue 27-Feb-24 15:49:22

Good luck to her, I would not do it but she may have her reasons.
Why so judgemental?