Gransnet forums

Chat

Ridiculous mistakes !

(60 Posts)
Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 09:03:00

I’ve just spent ten minutes trying to get a wood louse to safety after finding it on my hall carpet. I’ve got cataracts and bending down is difficult so I was trying to encourage it to move onto a tissue so I could put it somewhere it wouldn’t be trodden on. Only to realise it wasn’t a wood louse but a piece of dark fluff !
It reminded me of last Christmas when driving home at night I saw in the headlights a poor little black cat lying dead at the side of the road. I was upset and sent up a prayer to St Francis of Assisi. The next night I saw it again as no one had moved it. We went home and got a shovel and a bin bag and went back.
To find I’d been praying for a very sodden small black fleecy jumper bunched up in the gutter !

LilyoftheValley Sat 16-Mar-24 09:31:55

Bless you or being so caring! I always rescue (with a twig or some such) worms when I see they have arrived in a puddle. Bumble bees can be helped when exhausted by giving them a tiny bit of sugar water and letting them rest.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 09:35:57

I applaud your humanity - but maybe you should get an eye test if driving - I say this kindly, as a short-sighted person.
Take care!

Juliet27 Sat 16-Mar-24 09:41:10

I’m so pleased to see that others rescue even the smallest creature.

sassysaysso Sat 16-Mar-24 09:52:10

This reminds me of something that happened to me but the other way round. I nudged with a bare big toe something I took to be a bit of fluff from the vacuum cleaner. It jumped 2 foot in the air! Heart beating rapidly, I saw it was a frog one of my cats had brought in.

sparkly1000 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:31:47

I had a large distinctive looking spider that had lived peacefully and happily for about two years behind my vegetable rack. One morning I found him in my sink unable to get out, I carefully picked him up and gently dropped him just behind me knowing he would safely scuttle back to his corner.
However what I didn’t know was that my Labrador had softly padded in and sat behind me.
There was a great smacking of lips and my spider was no more!

I felt absolutely awful

crazyH Sat 16-Mar-24 11:37:41

What lovely stories of kind people x

Witzend Sat 16-Mar-24 11:47:39

I often pick up earthworms that for some reason are lying on the pavement - I suspect dropped by birds. I need to find a twig or something though - don’t like using fingers!

Dd1 evidently started the way she meant to go on - at 2 after I’d left her with MiL for a while, she came and showed me a very dried up worm in her hand. ‘Just look at this poor ickle worm Mummy - isn’t it sad?’

Much later, in her 20s, she had an Italian boyfriend who would get exasperated by her need to rescue wasps and other insects from swimming pools.
‘Maybe he want to suicide himself!’ 😂

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Mar-24 11:54:03

I picked off what looked like a piece of black fluff from the shower door and it felt hard. Turned out to be a tiny black ladybird. Then I found two more in the windowsill.
They must be waking up.

Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 12:52:20

NotSpaghetti never fear, I can’t drive never have, it was my husband at the wheel !

midgey Sat 16-Mar-24 13:08:47

My neighbour was cursing her dog for having relieved himself in the porch when suddenly it hopped off!

Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 13:09:54

What on earth was it ? The mind boggles !

midgey Sat 16-Mar-24 13:11:07

It was a toad!

AskAlice Sat 16-Mar-24 13:50:58

Not an animal one, but my DH once spent ages scrubbing at a stain on a new carpet, only to realise eventually that it was the shadow of a vase on the windowsill!

AreWeThereYet Sat 16-Mar-24 15:10:21

When young my niece loved slugs - she had a glass tank that she kept some in. She used to pull her gran around the streets looking for them in walls and cracks, put them in her tank and take them home to let them live in gran's garden. Every night gran used to go out looking for slugs in the garden and disposing of the, else where.

Fair2good Sat 16-Mar-24 16:19:32

AskAlice My husband and I have just been laughing ourselves silly over that stain !
AreWeThereYet I once heard a woman in our local shop telling the assistant how her husband dealt with slugs by throwing them over their back garden wall. Yes you’ve guessed it. I recognised her as her house was/is right behind ours !

Serendipity22 Sat 16-Mar-24 16:41:18

Awwwwww ....

You're not on your own hahahaha.

I used to clean for a lady who lived on a farm. I went into her kitchen and thought there was a dead mouse on the floor in the corner, I have to add at this point that I didn't have my glasses on, so there I am thinking ohhhh no, a dead mouse, i will have to pick it up, ughhhhh

I grabbed loads of kitchen roll and bent down to scoop up the dead mouse only to discover it was a flippin used TEA BAG 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

DanniRae Sat 16-Mar-24 17:29:57

In a bit of a state one day, many years ago, I dashed upstairs to see our cat asleep were he wasn't supposed to be asleep. "What are you doing there?" I yelled only to realise that I was shouting at my black suede boots, abandoned on the floor!!

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 16-Mar-24 18:46:48

grin.
Years ago, I saw a hedgehog in the garden, at night. I went out with some cat food, which I left beside it. The next morning, I saw the hedgehog was still there - it was an upturned flowerpot!

Oreo Sat 16-Mar-24 18:56:17

😂😂😂

Beechnut Sat 16-Mar-24 19:00:07

Fair2good

AskAlice My husband and I have just been laughing ourselves silly over that stain !
AreWeThereYet I once heard a woman in our local shop telling the assistant how her husband dealt with slugs by throwing them over their back garden wall. Yes you’ve guessed it. I recognised her as her house was/is right behind ours !

I hope you stood waiting with a tennis racquet to bat them back over the wall 🤣

Serendipity22 Sat 16-Mar-24 19:52:31

Some of us are silly Billy's aren't we laugh 😆 🤣 😂 😅

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Mar-24 19:55:06

DD's friend stared across their farm and said "I've been watching those sheep for ages and they haven't moved at all".
DD said "They're hay bales".

Greenfinch Sat 16-Mar-24 20:00:09

Serendipity your experience reminds me of when I went to pick up a teabag from the sink only to discover that it was a bat.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Mar-24 20:04:14

Greenfinch

Serendipity your experience reminds me of when I went to pick up a teabag from the sink only to discover that it was a bat.

😯