Gransnet forums

Chat

Honesty - How honest are you?!

(55 Posts)
SeaWoozle Mon 18-Mar-24 22:01:11

I know there was another thread before about this, but I can't find it. Just wanted to share something which happened today......

My DD is away in the Netherlands for a few days with her BF. They flew to Amsterdam, caught a bus and then were waiting for a train to their onward destination, around an hour away. She suddenly realised that her small bag was missing, containing passports & purse. She group-called myself and her sister in a panic, not knowing what to do. We advised her to return to the station over the road. Her BF was already calling the emergency number. I left the sisters to it as I was surplus to requirement in the conversation and big sister had it covered đŸ„° Anyway, it turns out that her bag was found by someone unknown, handed in and was picked up by my daughter in The Hague, an hour away, contents untouched. Secretly I thought she would never see it again. But my faith in humanity has been restored and she can enjoy her trip away (for her BF's birthday) and be able to get home, hassle free.

One happy Mumma!

MarinaL Tue 19-Mar-24 00:02:21

Lovely story Sea Woozle, glad your daughter got her bag back. There are lots of good honest people around fortunately!

crazyH Tue 19-Mar-24 00:37:21

There are lots of honest people, actually, most people are honest. Glad your daughter’s got her bag back. Yes, we mums are always surplus to requirement. I find that on the family group, my comments are always ignored. They don’t ‘get ‘ my SOH or my POV ..

BlueBelle Tue 19-Mar-24 05:36:33

Two of my grandkids (grown and flown) went through a spate of losing phones, wallets, expensive coats ( I think they ve grown up a bit more now and I m sure it had nothing to do with nights out hahaha) but each time they got everything back,
. everything, it amazed me
Even an Uber driver brought my grandaughters purse to her house They are either the luckiest ever or (young) people are a LOT more honest than we give them credit for andi m pretty sure it s the later
I always try and find owners

foxie48 Tue 19-Mar-24 09:24:56

I think most people are honest unfortunately we hear about the dishonest ones. I also find people are very kind and helpful. We live in a much nicer world than is sometimes shown in the media.

Katie59 Tue 19-Mar-24 09:34:48

I’m totally honest, although I did sneak into a museum saying I was a pensioner a year early, sorry about that.

Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 10:56:56

I would ALWAYS hand in anything I find, and have done so in the past a few times.

I like to think the majority of us are decent, honest people.

So glad for your daughter.

Cossy Tue 19-Mar-24 10:57:18

foxie48

I think most people are honest unfortunately we hear about the dishonest ones. I also find people are very kind and helpful. We live in a much nicer world than is sometimes shown in the media.

I completely agree

nanna8 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:19:54

I also think most people are decent and honest round here. If they are not I think you sense it in some way. Thinking about someone we know who you wouldn’t trust as far as you could throw him. He doesn’t realise that he’s been sussed out but everyone else knows it.

pably15 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:27:11

yes there are a lot of honest people about, I would always hand it in or try to find who it belonged to, I think how I would feel if I lost something ...

M0nica Tue 19-Mar-24 13:17:37

I think we all have our own, small petty dishonesties. No, I am not going to admit any, but on all serious issues of honesty. I would always hand in anything I found - and have and i always query someone in a shop if I think they have undercharged.

HeavenLeigh Tue 19-Mar-24 13:25:25

So pleased she got her bag back. Myself I would always hand a bag in. I’ve found a few things on my travels I always think how I would feel if I lost something.I’ve misplaced things over the years and felt really sick about it it’s an awful feeling. And that’s in my own home but to lose something outside is far worse

Daddima Fri 22-Mar-24 11:16:19

M0nica

I think we all have our own, small petty dishonesties. No, I am not going to admit any, but on all serious issues of honesty. I would always hand in anything I found - and have and i always query someone in a shop if I think they have undercharged.

I think this is very true. I know, for example, that I would never hand in a pound coin I found lying in the street, but it might be a child’s pocket money, and I’m sure there are other petty dishonesties I just can’t think of offhand.
( Just remembered I was using my son’s Netflix until they got wise to it and forced me to buy my own, so I suppose that was dishonest)

Kfimbs Fri 22-Mar-24 11:19:27

In the days of phones with less security my husband found 2 or 3 phones left on public transport, dialled “ mum” in the contacts and explained he had the phone and to get in touch re return. Several happy people - and probably some exasperated mums!

schnackie Fri 22-Mar-24 11:23:36

I was in Canterbury about ten years ago, very tired after a night (nursing) shift. I went to the ATM and took out ÂŁ200. After retrieving my card I started to walk away, when a teenage boy came after me with the wad of cash in his hand!! I was so grateful!

sandra13 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:23:58

When my first marriage was ending we went to see a marriage counsellor. He asked my OH if there was one particular thing about me that really bothered him. He answered “Yes. It’s her honesty”. When pressed he explained that “on a score of 1-10 for honesty, most people were about a 7. She’s a 14”. The therapist nailed my OH by replying “So, in order for you to feel comfortable with your wife, she needs to learn how to lie?”!!! I will never forget the look on OH’s face when that sank in.

Jess20 Fri 22-Mar-24 11:26:04

Years ago, backpacking in Greece, I lent a few hundred pounds to a couple of Aussie backpackers who'd run out of money. A few weeks after I got home they returned it all with a huge bunch of flowers. Loads of good honest people in the world.

lizzypopbottle Fri 22-Mar-24 11:29:55

I'm no paragon but I did what I see as "the right thing" last weekend. I was raking out some drawers and came across several watches that had stopped working years ago. I took three, including one that was my favourite back then, to a local jeweller's shop to have the batteries replaced. On calling to collect them, two were working and one (my favourite) was not. There was no charge for that one.

Subsequently, I was chatting with a friend and showed her the defunct watch. I put it on my wrist and left it there while we chatted. You guessed it! The watch started working. It just needed some body heat to get going.

Next day I went in to the shop and paid for the fitting of the battery. They were astonished! They said very few people would have done that. They had done the job for me and had a right to be paid. Would you agree?

biglouis Fri 22-Mar-24 11:32:56

My next door neighbour is a thief. She stole a small parcel which was mis-delivered to her door in the run up to christmas. She made no attempt to inform me it was there and could easily have left it on my doorstep or thrown it over the gate. Instead she kept and opened it.

It was a spring loaded glitter bomb I had bought for a young friend to take to a party. I know she opened it because her bin had red glitter in it the following week.

It would have made quite a mess of her house.

hahahahaha

karma can be a bitch.

Claennis Fri 22-Mar-24 11:35:16

This is a lovely tale... and I agree, most people are pretty honest. I have had my handbag & purse, full of money, cards, and other official things lost/left four times since 1978. That was the first one - I left my bag in a telephone box in Auckland NZ, when over there from Australia, for our infant son to have open heart surgery - I was a bit distracted! It was returned to me - delivered by a taxi driver, whose customer found it in the phone box. I have done this now four times - about once a decade! Each time so fortunate that my moments of stress, distress, illness, and even absent-mindedness (once) have been met with the utmost kindness and help from strangers.

Candelle Fri 22-Mar-24 11:52:05

I am pleased that your daughter was reunited with her bag. There are many honest people around, even if we sometimes doubt it.

I once found a purse bulging with notes in a car park and immediately handed it in.

Quid pro quo: in Canada, my husband and I sat on a bench and chatted to a lovely local lady. We stood up, said goodbye and it was only half an hour later that I realised I had left my handbag (containing everything holiday related, passport, tickets, money, credit cards, etc.) by the bench.

We rushed back and the lady was still there, she looked up and said 'hello dear, I thought you'd be back'! The relief was overwhelming and I am still grateful to her to this day.

I loved the story regarding a stolen parcel and the glitter bomb. Karma indeed!

Desiree1153 Fri 22-Mar-24 12:14:08

Being from the Netherlands I’m glad to hear that she had such a positive experience in my country. My mum years ago, lost her handbag in the airport in Eindhoven and caused a massive security alert as this was not that long after 9/11. She had to go and collect her bag from the military police but she got her bag back unharmed

Shantygirly Fri 22-Mar-24 12:20:12

I once found a solitaire diamond ring in a kiddies playground by the swings, I assumed it had been lost by someone pushing a swing. I took it to the police station and a few months later a policewoman arrived at my front door to give it back to me as nobody has claimed it. I thought that was very sad for someone to have probably lost their engagement ring. This was pre internet days, now my local fb page is full of cards, keys and phones that have been lost or found.

Meme60 Fri 22-Mar-24 12:24:40

We use to have a clothing shop and a woman ordered three hoodies online. I happened to take the parcel to the post office and the man on the counter was very fussy and always put the actual weight of the parcel into the system which also appears on the proof postage slip.
The woman phoned up and said there were only two hoodies in the package. It seemed strange as I had remembered packing it up but she was insistent that there were only two. While on the phone I was able to find the proof of postage slip. The weight was equal to three hoodies which she then replied “oh here it is, it slipped off the bed”.
Me thinks she was trying it on. Needless to say her name was red flagged!

Galaxy Fri 22-Mar-24 12:27:50

I am completely honest in terms of returning something I have found, I wouldnt dream of doing anything other, I do tell quite a few white lies though, so not completely honest.