Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this the end of NT scones as we know them?

(53 Posts)
RosiesMaw Tue 02-Apr-24 05:36:40

It’s always been a moot point in our family whether the point of NT stately home visits was 1) the culture and history, 2) the gift shop or 3) the tea room.
Funnily it was often 3) that was remembered most fondly.
But no more?
From todays DT
THE National Trust has sparked intense debate among visitors over its scones – and it’s not about whether jam or cream comes first. Instead, controversy has arisen over the charity’s decision to make them vegan to accommodate dietary needs and for people with dairy allergies
They are not like traditional ones … they are flatter, drier and have an unappealing texture’” “Some have complained that the scones, served across its 280 cafes, taste like “dry biscuits” said Maude Newby, a 64-year-old long-time National Trust member, from Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk, : “I can’t stand the taste of the new scones. They are not like traditional ones at all – they are flatter, drier and have an unappealing texture .”
Sir Bill Cash, the Conservative MP for Stone, who often has tea and scones in the House of Commons, also told the newspaper: “It makes me wonder what will happen next – will they stop selling Madeira cake because of historical events in Madeira?
There’s far too much wokery going on at the National Trust, this is just the latest example

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Apr-24 18:51:32

Callistemon
Neither can I but I do know someone who can. Someone once told me I must have heavy fingers!

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 18:57:43

PamelaJ1

Callistemon
Neither can I but I do know someone who can. Someone once told me I must have heavy fingers!

😯

Oh! Heavy fingers.
Well, better than being light-fingered, I suppose.

Witzend we called at a farm shop not long ago when we had to take a detour. I had a cheese scone which looked delicious, the size and texture were very good but I'm sure it had been made with a sweet scone mix, then just sprinkled with cheese before baking.
Most odd.

ElaineI Tue 02-Apr-24 19:03:08

Don't like vegan baking. Agree it is dry and not so tasty. I don't agree that all of us should be made to eat vegan products. Surely there can be both? DGS2 is allergic to something in vegan products and came out in itchy uncomfortable urticaria all over 15 minutes after having vegan cookies. He was also irritable and miserable. No idea what the culprit was but we avoid it now.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 19:07:15

I used to use Flora (origina) for sponge cakes and they always seemed fine, not dry at all.
But butter for Christmas cakes etc.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 19:08:55

ElaineI

Don't like vegan baking. Agree it is dry and not so tasty. I don't agree that all of us should be made to eat vegan products. Surely there can be both? DGS2 is allergic to something in vegan products and came out in itchy uncomfortable urticaria all over 15 minutes after having vegan cookies. He was also irritable and miserable. No idea what the culprit was but we avoid it now.

Soy is known to cause allergies, along with other products frequently used in vegan foods.

flappergirl Tue 02-Apr-24 20:07:37

Vegan lemon polenta cake with coconut cream is delish. Never tried vegan scones though.

Role Tue 02-Apr-24 20:54:08

Yet they serve their ‘leaves’ with dressing unless I’ve climbed the mountain of asking for them undressed. And I still get a dump of coleslaw if I’ve forgotten to say I don’t want it. My stomach can’t cope with vinegar but I’ve often thought the NT don’t show much sympathy for those with allergies never mind those who prefer not to have a sweet acid dressing. So, I’ve got to say I think the non-dairy policy is just posturing.

maddyone Tue 02-Apr-24 20:57:35

The best scones are made by my husband. After that, I’ve had lovely scones at various places when enjoying afternoon tea. I very rarely visit NT properties and most likely wouldn’t buy a scone if I did, so I can’t offer much opinion on whether their scones were better before or not.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Apr-24 21:14:36

We live just a few miles from a beautiful Tudor NT property. We often went and had a lovely cooked lunch had a walk then went to the gift shop.
That is all changed no gift shop it's now a second hand book shop. The cafe sells nothing hot just the odd sandwich don't know about scones as we left disgusted.

Joseann Tue 02-Apr-24 21:30:37

So does this mean they're going to have to re-write their cookery book now then? The recipes have butter, eggs and non vegan ingredients.

Claretjan Tue 02-Apr-24 22:23:58

Calistemon my pet hate is cheese scones made with a sweet scone mix. Oh the disappointment of biting into one!

grumppa Tue 02-Apr-24 22:24:11

Since when has cream been a butter substitute Rosie51? The scone should first be buttered, and then cream and jam added according to taste and county loyalty. As long as there is plenty of both to apply to the generous layer of butter, the sequencing is immaterial.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 22:25:49

Claretjan

Calistemon my pet hate is cheese scones made with a sweet scone mix. Oh the disappointment of biting into one!

I'd never eaten one before, it looked so good - but wasn't!

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 22:27:02

grumppa

Since when has cream been a butter substitute Rosie51? The scone should first be buttered, and then cream and jam added according to taste and county loyalty. As long as there is plenty of both to apply to the generous layer of butter, the sequencing is immaterial.

Noooo!

Only fruit scones should be buttered!

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 22:29:01

Rosie51

Callistemon wash your mouth out grin the cream is a butter substitute so of course it goes on first. Devon rules! And as for sandwiching the two halves together as in the book cover. Never! Each half must be enjoyed separately (double the cream and double the jam)

www.devonheaven.co.uk/products/medium-cream-tea?

Well, DH, Devon born and bred, and I (lived there for many years) prefer jam first then cream 😁
Sorry, Devon, I love you but Cornwall has it right.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 22:30:32

But at least that's Langage Farm clotted cream in your link so I'll let you off wink

grumppa Tue 02-Apr-24 23:01:01

All scones should be buttered, Callistemon21, regardless of their ingredients.

Rosie51 Tue 02-Apr-24 23:11:31

Callistemon21

But at least that's Langage Farm clotted cream in your link so I'll let you off wink

Thanks wink I do prefer mine the Devon way, dad would turn in his grave otherwise, but to be honest, as long as there's lashings of both, on each half I don't suppose it much matters grin

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 23:21:11

grumppa

All scones should be buttered, Callistemon21, regardless of their ingredients.

I rarely disagree with you grumppa, in fact it may be the first time ever 😃

But No!!

Redhead56 Wed 03-Apr-24 01:01:37

Butter jam and cream essential for scones no substitutes and in what ever order takes your fancy.

Joseann Wed 03-Apr-24 05:48:41

I go for butter, cream, then jam, the Devon way. If the scones are warm, the butter provides a layer to stop the cream melting into the scone!

Joseann Wed 03-Apr-24 05:50:42

We enjoyed a nice afternoon tea here last week.

AuntyTrouble Wed 03-Apr-24 21:22:03

Why are the vegan scones dry and like biscuits? Because they're poorly made!! I make them for a vegan friend, vegan butter, soy or nut milk (add lemon juice to the milk alternative to make it 'buttermilk') and voila, vegan scones that rise, are fluffy and taste like a scone!!! Use coconut cream or vegan alternative, lush jam and have an afternoon tea you'll love..lush.

Callistemon21 Wed 03-Apr-24 23:29:55

I remember an aunt becoming apologetic when we went for afternoon tea years ago because she had run out of cream of tartar to put in the scones.

Presumably lemon juice would work as well, AuntyTrouble?

Parsley3 Thu 04-Apr-24 09:30:03

Drat this thread. I now have an earworm.
🎶 It's the end of the scone as we know it. 🎶