Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 3rd April 2024

(55 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 03-Apr-24 05:48:53

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry outside at the moment in brackley .
A busy day awaits , i will do a shorten trip on bus to Bicester , returning earlier as i have to attend my surgery for a blood test which the ontological nursing team require , this is the first of 2 for this year and at some point will have a CT scan , this is so I do not have to have chemo as an alternative method.
Otherwise get back into my routine later and will drink loads o water to help?the blood test .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Wed 03-Apr-24 05:50:11

Good morning from a dry but breezy Torbay.

Yesterday I saw the Stroke Consultant who told me I mustn't drive. Another ophthalmology appointment has been arranged for Wednesday, 10th April but it's unlikely my field of vision (according to the test) will have improved. I’ve been awake since 2.30 a.m. trying to deal with the implications, not least for my social life which is mainly centred on The Little Theatre which is not served by buses and situated on a steep hill. Likewise my holiday home will have to be sold and trips to France severely curtailed. I love driving and my trusty Fiesta, which I’ve owned from new, has seen me through many adventures including overcoming a journey when the Beast from the East failed to defeat it!!

I know local friends will help where possible but I hate to be dependent. Sorry to moan when I know others have far more serious issues affecting their lives.

Despite having the hump (!) I wish you a happy hump day. 🦩💐🦩🥰🦩

Pantglas2 Wed 03-Apr-24 06:01:42

Good morning Mick and all who follow - I’m enjoying the chamberpot of tea whilst checking the weather 🌦️ promised for north wales today.

I managed to sail through first few nights of clock forwarding by going to bed an hour later and lying in til eight but something amok this morning as I’ve only had six hours 😴 - methinks I’m not as clever as I make out sometimes 😂

We’re off on the bus to Conwy this morning with Library books to be returned, a script collected and a coffee and 🍰 to be tested - so many lovely independents to support there!

Hope all test results and appointments go well and those with ailments find relief 💐. And some 🌞 from the weatherbarn for all x

karmalady Wed 03-Apr-24 06:06:30

Good morning from a s somerset, dull and dry

Ash, you are a strong woman and I can see you already working out how to adapt. `How do I deal with it?` is the way forward for you and I see that you will grasp that challenge in both hands.

I have just upped my boiler pressure and increased the flow temperature by one this morning. I feel very much back to my normal me and today will be a mix of pottering and a walk. I think I will walk to buy some more blood oranges today, they were the reddest and best I have ever eaten

Have a good day

Mizuna Wed 03-Apr-24 06:16:28

Good morning from a very wet Cornwall. I couldn't resist adding the painting of Penzance called The Rain It Raineth Every Day, as that's how it feels.

Signed off by the asthma nurse yesterday who was a mine of information about my lung condition and who did a fancy test which showed that it's not much of a problem at the moment. Good enough for me, as I'll cross any future breathing issue bridges when I get there. It won't in any case affect my knee replacement in June, hooray.

Ash, what can I say? Such a lot to process for you and your husband. Thinking of you. 🕊

My granddaughter is here for the day from 9o'clock, so it will be a baking/painting/slime-making sort of day no doubt.

RosesandLilac Wed 03-Apr-24 06:16:46

Good morning, it’s a dryish start to Wednesday here in south Glos. I haven’t slept well because of a very sore arm after my shingles jab yesterday.
Oh dear Ashcombe, I’m sorry to hear this. If I couldn’t drive I would have to move, we don’t have an even vaguely reliable bus service and we’re 2 miles from the village, 8 miles from a supermarket, so I can imagine how you feel 🤗
Do you really have to sell your holiday home? Is there no other way of getting there? Or to France?
Fingers crossed that there will be a solution 🤞🏻🌹

Bellasnana Wed 03-Apr-24 06:27:12

Good morning from Malta where it is fine and the high is expected to be 22°C.

Dear Ashcombe, you must be feeling very vulnerable after receiving your unwelcome news yesterday. I’m wondering if you have a reasonable taxi service where you live? We have several here like Uber which are not too expensive and turn up within minutes. I know it’s not the same as having your own independence and no good for long journeys, but it might work for local outings. I’m so sorry.😞

I wasted yesterday really, pottered about doing odd jobs around the house but felt so weary I spent most of the afternoon on the sofa wondering why I felt so tired.

Today I’m meeting a lovely friend for coffee. It’s always good to get together for a catch up.

Hope your blood test goes ok Mick,

Wishing you all the best day possible.☀️

grandMattie Wed 03-Apr-24 07:07:43

My fourth attempts post…
Good morning from Athens. Last morning here, I’m home very late tonight. I’m anxious because a) I’m travel alone, by metro to the airport, b) because the plane lands at 0200 and vs I have an eye hospital appointment at 0915. 🤨
Yesterday, after hustling on the balcony got breakfast for the best “Acropolyptic” view 🤣 we went to the actual acropolis and saw everything from temples and caryatids, odeons and amphitheaters, etc. we then went on to the Ancient Greek agora at Iris’s request. She wanted to see the tokens for ostracism in the museum . There was one poor chap, Thermistocles, who seems to have received a great number of bites. We also saw a very sophisticated system of selection of jurist on any particular day. There also was a temple at which DD told us St. Paul harangued the Athenians! Iris did really well as we were on our feet for some 8 hours! My legs are very tired today.
Dinner at a delicious meze place.
Hope all goes well with everyone. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩🦩

NannyJan53 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:07:59

Good morning from another dull and rainy Black Country.

Lovely sunny walk to the park yesterday with my friend. We had lunch at a Turkish Restaurant on the way home. Very tasty with a complimentary Turkish Coffee, which I had never had before. It was very strong. Rained later in afternoon, luckily when home.

Today I am over to Mums as someone is coming to upgrade her smart meter, sometime between 1pm and 5 pm! She didn't even know she had one smile

So sorry about your news Ashcombe, of course you should have a little moan, it's a big thing to happen in your life after many years of driving. and will take some adjusting to.

Wishing you all a good day

grandMattie Wed 03-Apr-24 07:15:40

Thermistocles received many VOTES 😡

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 03-Apr-24 07:20:44

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. I can’t hear rain so that must be good. I’m off to the hairdresser this morning to have my roots done. I’m not ready to go grey yet! WI committee meeting this evening.
What a pain Ash! I would be having a moan too.
Safe journey home GM. I’ve travelled solo a lot - to and from Australia last August - and I enjoy it.
Have a good day.

kittylester Wed 03-Apr-24 07:25:38

Good morning from a damp North Leicestershire.

Our visitors will go midmorning - we will miss them but enjoy the normal peace and quiet.

Enjoy your days everyone.

Georgesgran Wed 03-Apr-24 07:28:01

Good morning from Durham. It’s absolutely chucking it down.
What devastating news Ash. You must be struggling to get your head around it and all the implications. Like R&L I’d have to move or become a hermit. I’m shocked for you.
Yesterday’s ‘secret’ trip went well, but I have no plans for today.
Best wishes to all.X

cornergran Wed 03-Apr-24 07:28:21

Morning Mick, morning All from a cloudy corner of Somerset.

Yesterday went well enough other than horrendous rain on the return trip. Hard to see with motorists still zooming along the motorway.

A beef and beer casserole to get going in the slow cooker, a meeting to attend and two large bags to drop at a charity shop central donation point. That’s it for today I think

Totally understand what a blow that news must have been ash. Give it time to settle, there will be ways, different of course but a way will be found. Much harder as your husband isn’t with you at the moment. I’m so sorry, a hug winging it’s way.

What a fabulous day grandmattie. Safe journey home.

Must press on, look after yourselves everyone.

hollysteers Wed 03-Apr-24 07:28:24

Good morning Mick and all from a damp northwest coast.
Thinking of you Ashcombe and your disrupting news. Hopefully you will be able to sort transport out to the theatre etc. I know what the theatre means to me!

Music club yesterday was fun, a nice assortment of music. The song I worried about went well, but the one I know like that back of my hand (or thought so) not so well…
I have booked to see The Motive from the NT at our local cinema, hard to believe the flicks cost nearly £20 these days.
My sister saw it on stage in London so of course that was more.

Last night I dreamt my late DH returned and we stood together looking at a beautiful house. I felt quite upset when I woke up😢
Anyhoo, I hope you have a good Wednesday, or hump day as Ash calls it🌺

Sar53 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:30:51

Good morning from a damp, dull Essex coast.
I'm sorry to hear your news Ash, thinking of you x.
No plans today, the cupboards are pretty bare but until we get the car back we cannot go shopping. Hopefully later this afternoon.
I have plenty of admin to get on with, not sure about DH, he is not used to being confined.
Have the best day you can everyone xx

baubles Wed 03-Apr-24 07:39:33

Good morning from slightly foggy South Lanarkshire.

I’m sorry Ash, that was a blow. I’m sure you will work things out.

No yoga for me today, my back is feeling easier but I don’t want to risk it.

I’m preparing the spare room in tiny stages as my sister is coming for a short visit next week. Everything I do is done slowly just now if I’m truthful.

Have the best day possible everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:41:48

Morning all from a cloudy S E Essex, I am off to Lakeside with DD and the boys who has an extraordinary long list for the 9yr olds two days away with the school. What with three lots of dressing up costumes last term and the astronomical cost of the trip I am beginning to wonder if the Governors and Head Teacher live in a different economic reality than the majority of their pupils families.

Oh dear Ashcombe what a shock and an about turn to your lifestyle 😘

Safe journey grandMattie

Have a good day 🙋‍♀️

brook2704 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:42:19

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s another grey and miserable damp start to the day.
So sorry to hear that news Ash it must be really upsetting for you. I hope you can work something out with a combination of lifts, taxis and public transport to help you continue the things you enjoy. Take care, I’ll be thinking of you
I’ve got a volunteering session this morning and then over to the gym for the aqua aerobics. After that we’ll pick up DGD who’s coming for a sleepover tonight
Hollysteers ❤️
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care or whatever the day brings 💐

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:47:23

Good morning from a wet Oxfordshire.

So sorry that you can’t drive anymore Ash I too think that taxis might be the way to go, with the savings on Insurance, Maintenance, Road tax and fuel, from running a car, but it must have been a shock and I sympathise.

GM I wondered why Thermistocles was bitten! Safe travels home.

Dog day today so yet another wet walk, then out tonight for cards and a chilli with friends of MrOops mate. He might have to go on his own as I’m still a bit wobbly.

Have as good a day as you can everyone, I doubt we will see any sun.

Greyduster Wed 03-Apr-24 07:49:03

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a very wet South Yorkshire. GS did a very good job of wielding a paint roller in my walk in airing cupboard yesterday. I just did the fiddly bits with a brush! It looks very clean and tidy. He stayed overnight and I will take him out to lunch and then home later as he has a driving lesson this afternoon.
Ash what a blow for you - I do hope you manage to find a solution💐.
Have the best day you can folks.

Pittcity Wed 03-Apr-24 07:49:04

Good morning from a grey, mild Colchester. 7 year old DGS and I are eating toast. DH and 13 year old DGS have gone fly fishing. DS will be home from his night out with his GF later. So I'll be in a tiny 3 bed semi with 4 men tonight....help!!!
DGS and I will walk into the City centre for a few bits this morning. He has Easter money and vouchers to spend.
Love to all 🦩 x

Pittcity Wed 03-Apr-24 07:51:30

Ash, I have never driven. I work out the annual cost of running a car and it's comparable with using a taxi when needed.

monk08 Wed 03-Apr-24 07:51:58

Good morning all from a dull Black country, managed an hour in the garden yesterday before the rain set in.
Ash so sorry to read of your news here a virtual hug.
grandMattie safe travels home.
Enjoy your day everyone whatever your plans and may you all find some ☀️.

Liberty Wed 03-Apr-24 07:53:39

Good morning from a grey damp Suffolk.

So sorry Ash to hear your news which must have both been upsetting to hear but also shocking and hard to get your head around. As others have said,I hope with time,you are able to work out solutions which work for you in different scenarios.

We had a very pleasant lunch yesterday with DS and family in a riverside pub close to their caravan park. Their puppy and our dog were well behaved and enjoyed the treats that the waitress bought them every time she came to the table.

I’m off to my keep fit class shortly and apart from DH going to the surgery for a blood test,the rest of the day is ours to do as we please.