Gransnet forums

Chat

Soops Kitchen, a place of refuge, reflection and revelry.

(466 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Aug-26 10:09:55

Popped in to see if we had a new ā€˜kitchen’ couldn’t find one so have opened this.

Hope all is well, will catch up next week šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

brook2704 Wed 23-Sept-26 22:35:42

Oh redcar your poor DGD, I hope she’s much better today and she’s over it soon, what a worry these grandchildren are

Yep corner the puppy slept well, very settled and not a peep out of her all night. She sleeps in the kitchen and seems to know when to settle down. I’ve no experience of dogs at all but she seems very good. She’s quiet too, I’ve not heard her bark once, a few little whines now and again but that’s it. She’ll be delivered home tomorrow with a glowing report. Hoping you got your very clean sparkling car back ok today!
I’m having to use mobile data as the internet is down here, someone’s car ran into a junction box at the top of the road and the outage is affecting all our estate. Openreach are onsite and have made it safe but no idea when it will actually be fixed šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Good news about your brother Blossoming so pleased for him and all the family, hope you’re ok too.
I too hope Yia and her DH are doing ok Jax

Hoping everyone has a good night, take care all x

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Sept-26 20:25:37

Hi all, great news on your brother Blossoming and good you’ll be warm Charleygirl
Glad the puppy behaved brook it could have been so different.
After our clear out, no longer used jackets/coats and shoes went to the charity shop first thing.
My brother and sister in law came for lunch, what a delightful few hours, about 6 my daughter called in, grandson football training at our local school.
We’ll watch Ludwig later.
A wave to the quiet corner šŸ‘‹šŸ‘‹.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:35:16

Hi kitchen friends šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

The Imp is upstairs asleep, I am collapsed on the sofa. My energy levels are rather low, no idea why.

Good news *Blossoming^

Hope your GD is ok Redcar

Night night šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

Redcar Thu 24-Sept-26 20:40:49

Hi everyone. brook I haven’t heard from DD2 today, so I assume that littlest DGD is sufficiently recovered to go to preschool today. Her dad was working from home while DD2 was in the office, so fingers crossed! DD2 doesn’t work on Fridays but has to take littlest to the gp for a follow up appointment.

I had a walk this morning and met the daughter of our former neighbours, she’s over from Australia to celebrate her mum and dad’s 60th wedding anniversary. Good to catch up with her, I used to bring her home from after school club when she was 11 and she’s going to be a (young) granny next March!
Then I cleaned the kitchen and cut the front grass! Pushing my luck I think, but I feel ok.

brook I hope you get your internet back soon.

jaxjacky I’m sure the charity shop welcomed your jackets and coats. Pleased you had a good time with your brother and sister in law today.

I’m pleased you’ll be warm now charleygirl I’m still under the 4.5 tog duvet but thinking of putting the 7.0;tog on soon.

Thinking of those sheltering in the quiet corner.

Night night everyone, sleep well.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:03:15

Glad to report some of the tests arranged by the GP have come back normal. Steps in the right direction thankfully so I will sleep a bit easier tonight. Bloods on Monday so my anxiety isn’t fully gone. He is being very thorough and was kind and understanding of my anxiety. I hate how worried I get - it affects all aspects of my life while I wait for results.

Im hoping to be back to my usual sunny self this time next week. šŸ¤ž

Good to hear you’re cosy Charleygirl.

I’m under a 4.5 tog duvet still and the bedroom window is open it’s mild enough here yet, but I’m sat in my bed with a large mug of delicious Horlicks.

Redcar Thu 24-Sept-26 22:42:34

So far so good fgt. Fingers crossed that the bloods don’t show anything untoward. Still under my 4.5 tog duvet, but the window is shut! Sleep tight.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:56:57

OMG I would suffer from hypothermia if I had a 7.5 tog duvet. When I first go to bed with my 13.5 tog one, I feel cold even with a hwb. How I survived in Scotland until my mid 20's is beyond me.

I only open a window during the day to air a room, hypothermia would set in here!

I haven't needed to switch on the heating yet but it is almost October.

* brook* I am sure the internet will be working soon because the company can't afford to lose customers.

I am a hoarder and have enough tops to open a shop. A charity shop rarely sees clothes from here. They do well with books but now without a car it is very difficult to get them there but I have a plan.

Please look after yourselves.

brook2704 Fri 25-Sept-26 13:38:53

Hi kitchen pals, hope everyone is doing ok
I've been at the gym this morning and just now I'm waiting for my volunteering session to start, so I've jumped on the Wi-Fi here. It's still off at home, probably until Monday they've said

I put the heating on last night for the first time charley, I couldn't last out any longer, although if feels a bit warmer today

Hoping for good results from the bloods too fgt and then hopefully no more worries

I've still got to go through the jackets and coats Jax see what I want and what's seen better days!

Thinking of our friends in the quiet corner, take care all x

Grandmabatty Fri 25-Sept-26 18:01:10

That's very annoying for you brook.
Today is nipped to aldi for bread, then did 2 lots of washing and some housework. It's been a quiet day but I'm happy. Ds has announced he's bought a car. Not before time! Dinner will be out of the freezer tonight. Enjoy your evening kitchen folk

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 18:05:27

I have had a good day, circuit training and dodge ball at the gym. Then DH and I went to a local garden centre for a mooch and then into their farm shop for veggies.

I came home and sorted out the freezer (again) along with the kitchen fridge.

As neither of us could decide where we wanted to go for dinner, we have ordered a Chinese takeaway to be delivered later.

How frustrating Brook

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Sept-26 19:13:51

I go to the local town by bus and there is a small Lidl opposite the bus stop. I couldn't find a can of tomatoes but toothpaste was under £1. Everywhere else it is well over £2.

When I entered there was a child around 3 on a scooter about to career out the open door. I stopped him, found his mother but she wasn't bothered!

My dishwasher is having a holiday, there is always something.

I live in London and one would expect decent Chinese takeaways but no, not around here.I do envy you, GrannyGravy Mine will be more healthy, a prawn salad.

It was a warm, sunny day here, still no downpour for months. Still a hosepipe ban.

Please look after yourselves.

Redcar Fri 25-Sept-26 19:42:17

Hi everyone. A beautiful warm sunny day until about 4 when the cloud came over. No rain though, so I’m still watering the newly planted plants. Fingers crossed it may rain next week.

I had my hair cut and coloured this afternoon, so it looks lovely now - until I have to wash and dry it myself!

The littlest DGD has been referred to a paediatric physiotherapist, who will hopefully be able to determine why her knees and ankles hurt at times. It’s odd because most of the time she’s absolutely fine, but then at times she’s crying in pain. X-rays are clear, hopefully the physio may be able to determine the problem.

Thinking of those in the quiet corner and also those who aren’t posting for any reason.

Enjoy the Chinese grannygravy and enjoy your healthy prawn salad charleygirl. Have a good evening everyone.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 25-Sept-26 20:46:35

ā€˜Evening All’

My stepfather had his BCC under his eye removed today with local anaesthetic at the Manchester Eye Hospital. We set off at 10:30am and got home at 5:30pm (rush our traffic through the city took ages).

Anyway he’s all done. Sutures will dissolve. He has after care instructions to follow. The staff were amazed that at his great age he’s self caring and living independently.

It’s good it’s done, he did well and was tired when the taxi dropped him off although I did go in with him for a few minutes to set him up before leaving to continue home myself.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 25-Sept-26 22:58:08

Hello kitchen people. So glad your stepfather did well today, FGT2. He sounds amazing.

I listened to a very good talk at the Arts Society today on Jazz until the Second World War. OH didn’t come as he doesn’t enjoy Jazz.

I spent a couple of hours sewing my quilt and did my ironing.

We are concerned about Ripley our cat. She disappeared early in the evening and didn’t come in for her dinner. She and Milo are 16 and love their food. We looked around the garden - neither of them go very far now, but there was no sign of her. It was dark though and the torch was rather weak. Milo appeared concerned and was trotting hither and thither - if a cat can ever look concerned!

Sleep šŸ’¤ tight.

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Sept-26 23:18:19

Lllf I do hope Ripley came home later. Can he use a cat flap? It is so worrying.

It feels cooler tonight, it will be shower and bedtime soon. I am trying not to switch on the heating until next month but as the price will rise sharply, it will stay off as long as possible! I may live in England, but I am still Scottish! The nuns taught me well as the radiators were barely tepid, warm enough to keep pipes from freezing.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Sept-26 00:20:40

The cats have a cat flap which they’re used to using - only they can use it as its operated by some sort of chip in the back of their necks!

cornergran Sat 26-Sept-26 07:18:58

Another hope Ripley is home safe ladylfl.

šŸ¤ž for diagnosis and help for your granddaughter redcar. She sounds a brave soul.

Mornings and evenings are definitely cool here, not needed heating yet but up the thermostat will go up if necessary.

A rant if I may. I’m almost - but not quite - speechless at the impossibility of securing a cardiac follow up appointment for 83 year old Mr C. He’s had one checkup since open heart surgery for a mitral valve repair and artery bypass in 2023, what then should have been annual checks were moved to two yearly.

Last year we were told there was an 143 week delay in the clinic . Now? 200 weeks. This is a well respected centre of excellence, surgery came quickly and efficiently enough. So many people will be impacted. It’s not an exaggeration to say some will die. As the ever pragmatic Mr C said if everyone on the clinic list were his sort of age the wait would drop quickly enough. I’ve finally persuaded Mr C to make a GP appointment. Thank goodness for a GP who cares and if she thinks it necessary will fight his corner. It all adds to pressure on GPs though. I just hope changes I observe are simply age not cardiac related.

It’s been a frustrating week all round really. Some post holiday blues to contend with and our new to us car developing a fault (apparently common in this model - now they tell us!) which was permanently sorted in less than two hours thanks to the understanding and efficiency of a member of the Service team. He went above and beyond, restoring faith in both the car and the dealership. A good outcome for sure.

Good news about your stepfather fgt. We have three neighbours in their 90’s who live alone and are self sufficient. One drives daily and yes, safely. Isn’t it heartening to see?

I must check on a granddaughter, five minutes after she had bought her train ticket to travel to her dad for the weekend the train was cancelled. It seems an issue at her local station. She couldn’t easily get to the alternative station. I know she’s coming up 18 and very competent but I’d just like to know she arrived safely.

Other than all that we’re fine šŸ˜‚. It’s just what we call life’s custard pies, this time we didn’t duck quickly enough.

With luck we’ll get out for a couple of hours this morning for some sea air, the plan is to come back via a garden centre for cyclamen for the troughs. I’ll plant them in the hope of benefit from the rain we’re promised tomorrow. There may even be lunch on our travels, always a good plan.

Hope it’s a good enough weekend for everyone. Take care.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 07:29:27

I don't normally post on this thread, but cornergran I did laugh at life's custard pies. That puts a sort of smile at my life at the moment.

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Sept-26 09:35:45

llfl I'm hoping Ripley turned up

Nannytopsy Sat 26-Sept-26 16:33:10

What a worry for you with cardiology Cornergran. And Ripley causing concern too! So horrible when a cat is missing.
We have just come home from a few days in North Norfolk. Lovely weather, good birdwatching and fine food. Nice to be a long way from the ironing pile and the church admin!
It must be winter - watching the first rugby of the season!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:12:03

I hope Ripley has returned.

That’s rather concerning for you both cornergran

I haven’t done very little today other than pop into two local shops and clear the laundry basket šŸ‘šŸ»

I am reading the latest Dan Brown an actual book not on my kindle, I am halfway through and trying not to get distracted.

I found some lovely big figs in the farm shop, they will be stuffed with goat’s cheese and wrapped in Parma ham for starters tonight, followed by piri piri chicken (not sure what veggies)

(((hugs))) to all šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø

Redcar Sat 26-Sept-26 17:19:22

cornergran the wait for your DH’s cardiology appointment is appalling, I hope your GP can get him an appointment for his checkup. I hope your granddaughter has arrived safely at her destination. I hope you had a pleasant morning at the coast and found plenty of cyclamen at the garden centre.

I hoed and raked up several buckets of weed seedlings from the end of the garden this morning. That was about half of what’s there, I’ll do more tomorrow if my back isn’t too achy.

fgt I hope your stepfather is recovering well from his procedure yesterday.

Another dry and sunny day today, but not as warm as yesterday, but it’s still very mild for the end of September!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Sept-26 17:43:31

Hello kitchen people.

Ripley is safe and well. She was fast asleep under her favourite bush in the back garden this morning. She’s back out there again now.

cornergran Sat 26-Sept-26 18:19:18

Good news about Ripley ladylfl. You must be relieved

Yes, redcar, our granddaughter arrived an hour late and definitely in one piece. She’d kept contact with her dad by phone so he wasn’t worried.

We had a super morning. Went to a marina and sat outside a tiny cafe in warm sunshine drinking coffee while watching the world go by. Cyclamen secured they are now planted. Just hope a passing squirrel doesn’t dig them up in the perennial search for bulbs to destroy.

Off to watch Strictly now. We’re not convinced the new format is for us and agreed to give it three weeks, guess I’d best concentrate.

Wishing you all a good evening.

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sept-26 18:23:37

Good news llfl.
Not good in your news corner let’s hope the GP rattles some cages.
Sunny day, but it has that edge of autumn, that smell, I quite like it.
MrJ played a bowls competition, I tidied and wiped down the kitchen, then made a sausage casserole for later, we’ve a lot of veg to use up.
Weed/flower seedlings to sort here too Redcar I think they might be nigella, I’ll ask my gardening lady to sort them, think she’s coming next week.
Have a pleasant evening everyone.