Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 30th September 2026

(57 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 30-Sept-26 04:56:05

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley .
The usual routine with a bus trip into Bicester to shop and maybe have chat with people I know.
Come back have Lunch and relax this afternoon .
Health OK ,
As to the buses very few users so operators can withdraw services if poor use.
Take Care,
Mick

ginny Wed 30-Sept-26 07:55:36

Good morning from a dull but dry N. Bucks.
Will come to back to read all the news as I have to try to contact the GP surgery in 7 minutes time. My foot is still very painful.
Otherwise today I’ll see how things pan out. Can’t walk very far so a good excuse to do some artwork.
Wishing all a good day.

Georgesgran Wed 30-Sept-26 07:58:21

Good Morning from a very wet, Durham. This is the weather I hate having little dog – the dirty floors and the wet walks. I’m meeting my poorly friend today. I haven’t seen her for weeks because of her failing health, when she prefers to withdraw completely, although we do text daily. When I leave her, I’m taking little dog home and going to plant some pansies in an empty trough at DD2’s to brighten up her paved frontage.
Later, I’m dropping my car at the garage for service tomorrow. It’s not really due until January but my high mileage has brought it forward.

Best wishes to all X

madeleine45 Wed 30-Sept-26 07:58:58

Good morning Michael and all GN's from a slowly lightening, still grey morning in North Yorkshire. Well physically I feel as though I have just done 10 rounds with Muhammed Ali, but mentally Boudicca is in fine form and ready for more battles!!

I had a tough day yesterday, despite doing the least possible, as I felt so shattered and wiped out from the saga of the previous day. However I was determined to get a few things done. So once I had very slowly got myself up and out (ignoring the tortoises rushing past me!) I set off on the beloved yellow peril, which I now appreciate even more, to the railway station. It was quite busy, and I politely let everyone needing tickets go before me , and then went in for the attack! I was perfectly polite of course, and commended the man I spoke to as he was the one who helped me the previous day. However, besides asking for a refund for my ticket, I then raised the point that there was no toilet on that platform and that I had not seen him come over as he said he would. He maintained that he did come over but had not seen me. Well I let that go but whilst accepting it was not the railways fault due to the theft of the wire, suggested that he might put in the idea of perhaps being able to change the make up slightly of the wire, as they were no doubt a big customer, so that when any was found, being able to analyse the make up of the wire would then put off thieves, and give them a way of identifying it. To which he replied it wasnt up to him to make any suggestions!!! I have resolved to contact them myself anyway.

However I did triumph in getting my money back. Well I will check on that, as I paid for it with a card and they will return the money to that account!! So at least that was something of a triumph, added to which the man had to come out of his cubby to me personally, because I was in such pain, I could only stay on the buggy, and as it was down to the railways, I did not see why I should put myself in more pain, and so he had to come round to get me to sign something etc. That was at least a successful start, and you may depend on me to continue and not give up just because I have received a refund. He said that I could try and get the taxi fare back , but I havent decided on whether to go on with that, as I have no proof to show them, at the time not thinking to ask for a receipt.

Well I then made my way along the wretched bumpy pavements and road into town. They had closed one road for something or other, so there was quite a lot of disruption and of course the diverted traffic was long, with very few courteous or polite drivers, who were obviously annoyed at their delays, and who were not prepared to stop to allow me to cross the street easily, where I only had a couple of places with dropped kerb that I could use. However I carried on and had decided that I should reward myself and get a bit of a rest by , of course, a visit to Cafe Nero. Arriving there with a keen appetite for a decent coffee, I was dismayed to see it closed with a notice up to say it would be reopening a bit later. Quelle disaster!!

However I spied the young woman nearby who is a new barista there, and found out that they were so short staffed that they had had to ask a manager to come from elsewhere and were waiting for him to arrive by train to allow them to open up. That it would be at least half an hour before they were open and set up, so that was a bit of a blow. However I decided that I would wait around, and went up to a charity shop to have a hobble round there - no great bargains but oh dear they have already started the C... displays. We havent even had bonfire night yet so I am not interested in too early displays! Then went along to have a look at another cafe that I had been told about, but only planned to just see what it looked like. Good job as that was also closed!!

I returned to Neros and thankfully it was open at last and busy, so I was quite happy to negotiate getting in and ensconced in a decent seat and let the queue die down before attempting to stand in the queue at the counter. Oh medal medal, I was just speaking to a very interesting lady I had met, when the lovely trainee arrived with my usual order , all set up and ready for me, and she knows that I will pay when I get up to go. Oh medal medal, as Dastardly and Muttley would have said. So that was lovely and improved the morning no end.

I eventually meandered my way home having got one or two bits, so as you can see I have been following your instructions to the letter. In the afternoon I was doing very little and still in quite a lot of pain. I had just made a coffee and decided to watch an old Antiques Road Show when there was a knock at my door. It was a neighbour, who was going to the tip with some rubbish in his trailer and I had said previously that there were still old radiators in the garage that I couldnt move myself. He had said that he had a mate who could take those, and so he was offering to take them for me and some cardboard boxes to the tip etc. I was very grateful for the offer, but was hobbling so much that I had to just get him to unlock the doors and get the stuff out. It certainly made me feel an old crock as he humped all the stuff around but he was fine and so hurrah, another bit of space freed up and I know that he will be dealing with things responsibly. I had thought of getting someone to come, but was unsure who I could trust as was in no way prepared to let someone dump my rubbish in the countryside. So yes a really rubbish day physically and followed by an equally rubbish night, but who cares?? I count it as a very good day mentally, dont know how much I can continue with today, but am already thinking of my next moves in various situations. Think of me as one of those chess maestros , who walk along playing several games at once making a move here and a move there whilst the mere mortals playing them struggle with their responses!

Game 1 . the railways - compose an email re ideas to improve situation re stolen metal
Game 2. the hospital - stir up their ludicrous appointments situation where people are receiving letters that sometimes dont even arrive until past the date of the appointment.

Game 3. I am determined to sharpen my swords up and at the same time have the image of that drip drip drip where things get petrified. Remember your Jerusalem - I shall not rest from mortal fight!! Well I am absolutely sick of nothing being done about the appalling roads and pavements and so I shall be not just making the odd contact, but am planning a campaign where in the end they will do something to get rid of me if nothing else. I shall be devising methods, letters to local papers, appearing at any occasion where they are perhaps opening something or having a photo opportunity with the paper and whatever it is about I shall be adding my nuiscance contribution. I had previously suggested to others that they took photos of the potholes near their homes. Well I think that I shall have to revive that idea and get a map of the town and then we can put red crosses to mark the spot for every problem area. Methinks there will be a sea of red crosses and we shall run out of red ink!!

Well it is time that I tried to hobble about and get myself at the ready for the day. I didnt even get to the games night last night as I felt in such pain and so exhausted that I dont think I would have done very well anyway. So today I am looking forward to my whist evening at a little village nearby. There are one or two things I need to set off on the yellow peril for, and then this afternoon it will be settling down to a start on the ironing with a play or radio 3 to keep me company, so no other great plans and hopefully I might feel a bit better tomorrow.

I hope they dont alter your buses Mick. It is a pity that the transport is not looked at in a different way, rather than the cost of individual routes etc. Good reliable public transport would then mean that people would be able to choose to use it so long a they could get to where they needed to. Many years ago Ken Livingstone put up the idea in london that buses and tubes should be free so that people would use them and not cause congestion with cars etc. I am sure that a good and reliable transport system that didnt stop at 3pm and allowed everyone to go to places at any time of the day, would pay dividends overall. The ability to get out and about reliably would mean less depression and anxiety - about getting to hospital appointments too! - opportunity to join things, lessen spending on fuel. That broader look at things and looking at the long term rather than the very short term,could improve travel and be a more sustainable method and ecologically much better. GrandMattie good news if someone will be able to give you a lift to your spanish lessons. It is a long time since I made any chutney, and am now reduced to offering up my good clean jam jars to other people for their efforts. I hope your meeting with Teflon man goes well! Late december you will see from above my success with the railfare.Hope you managed another little snooze

Time to get that kettle on and start the day. we are now getting a little rain, and I think more is promised for later, so hopefully the ground will get a bit of a soaking. Have seen the squirrel raising along the fence but no sign of any birds. Hope everyone has a good day, and more power to GN's arms sorting out miscreants such as Teflon man etc Grannypower to the fore today!!

Marzipan22 Wed 30-Sept-26 08:03:53

Good morning from my very wet patio in Cornwall. Fortunately I can sit out here because my Dry Robe is completely waterproof. A squirrel has been rampaging and broken a few bits of plants but they'll recover. My latest echium has been infiltrated by leaf miners, the effects of which don't look pretty but as they're moth caterpillars I'll let them do their thing. The plant will survive.

My doctor's visit resulted in a two-week referral to the cancer clinic for something mysterious growing on my neck, ooh. I met a reclusive eccentric friend while I was there - he sat outside instead of in the waiting room, and we had a good long chat and catch up. I wasn't sure if he was still alive.

After that I bussed to Waitrose to buy Corn Thins. It is the most awkward place to reach without a car but I managed it and bought enough of the thins to last me several months. Then found a pair of palazzo trousers very cheaply reduced in M&S, which I'll remake as they're a boring beige but a lovely shape.

Today another doctor's appointment and then to my church home group where we have lunch, chat and do a Bible study. Most of them are younger than me which I enjoy.

They exploded the WWII bomb yesterday but everyone was surprised it didn't make more noise! 😲

EkwaNimitee Wed 30-Sept-26 08:06:44

Good morning Mick and everyone from wet Carlisle, it's mild though.
Yesterday morning...a good clean in the kitchen and downstairs toilet and that was it. A bit of tedious admin and, after lunch, out in the garden to get in the last bag of naturalising crocuses.
It was warm! I came in and stripped down to a t-shirt and had the french windows open while I had coffee. Just reading and brain training the rest of the day.
There was an interesting article in my science magazine on the maximum age humans could live. The latest theory is that if cells could be re-programmed, we might last to be 500! No thank you! Whilst I think the world is too interesting a place to depart from, I only want to achieve a modest 100 or so in a healthy fashion. I'm going to run out of my book pile after that....
Today, into town. I've been through my wardrobe and discovered needs plus need some toiletries from Boots and a visit to the Post Office. Ironing beckons on return. The afternoon is free for whatever but it won't be housework.

Have a good day everyone.

Grandmabatty Wed 30-Sept-26 08:10:45

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 18° and wet. Lots of surface water.
Madeleine I hope you are having a slow start today. Redcar warm here too! Bellasnana I look forward to seeing your new nails.
Yesterday the boys were good. We had a discussion in the car about planets and I was surprised how much dgs2 knew. Apparently he learned it from Bluey, his favourite cartoon. Who said tv wasnt educational? 😂. On the way to school I told them the story of Ali Baba and the 40 thieves which they both enjoyed. Back home, I made a steak and sausage casserole in the slow cooker. Later I added dumplings. When I took the boys home, dgs1 said he wasnt feeling well. Dd knew exactly what was wrong-it was parents night last night! He had nothing to be worried about. Both boys received excellent reports.
Today I'm swithering about going to the school library. I have a number of deliveries coming. I started Christmas shopping yesterday, slightly earlier than usual, but I want to be well organised. Dinner will be a portion of the steak and sausage casserole. If I'm housebound I shall definitely (maybe) wash the windows. Have a good day all.

poppysmum Wed 30-Sept-26 08:11:05

good morning from a dark damp Herefordshire. Been raining over night not pleasant at all. busy with my support officer today and hopefully privacy film being put on my windows by housing.
after my success yesterday of stripping and cleaning my washer and drier i am hoping to tackle my freezer. i go mad with the cleaning spray so at least the kitchen smells nice! blame not sleeping and watching Youtube videos on people cleaning their laundry appliances! now my washer is sparkling inside and out plus my drier totally fluff free!
the freezer /fridge thingy is fairly new but its got sticky marks on from me putting stuff especially yogurt inside and out of the fridge etc. i do not know if its me or not but i do keep putting stuff on top of the fridge / freezer as its quite low. dog biscuit tin, dog pads, dog food i will have to find a better place!

hollysteers Wed 30-Sept-26 08:17:15

Good morning from a wet northwest coast. I went along to the music club yesterday planning to take a back seat as still not completely over my virus, which maybe had been covid.

Numbers were down however, and I was pressed to be on the desk in charge. I didn’t sing, which could have been a Louis Armstrong impression, but it went well enough.

DD cooked one of her signature dishes in the evening and DS came over. A nice time and it’s DS’s birthday soon so presents were given. He’s a bookworm like me and I was also able to offload some books on to him. I have to tear myself away from him and go to bed as he’s very good company and a night bird.

Opera co. rehearsal tonight. Will go reluctantly as still feel like nursing myself. Thankfully the sore jaw is improving too.
Thoughts to all.

Marydoll Wed 30-Sept-26 08:18:20

My post disappeared However, I am smart. I copied as I went along.
Unfortunately, I also copied everything on the page.🤭

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 13°C.

Today is our 49th wedding anniversary, but we have decided to have a quiet day and takeaway tonight.
I am not well enough to go out.

I was very unwell on my wedding day, (no-one knew what was wrong with me at that point)) but I was determined to go ahead.
Into the bargain, I had two cracked ribs from constant coughing.

We are hoping to get out tomorrow, if I feel better.
My plan today, is to potter about and do some sewing alterations.

I had told the P.P, I wouldn't be about until Saturday. He messaged to say, he was offering up the early morning Mass for DH and I.😭

I wish you all a pleasant day.

I hope we hear from Stilllearning, one of the Glasgow grans.💐

Grandmabatty Wed 30-Sept-26 08:26:24

Marydoll happy anniversary to you both.

BlueSapphire Wed 30-Sept-26 08:26:58

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton, showers expected later, but very mild.

Another quiet day at home yesterday, but I think my cough is easing. I phoned my holiday insurance company to check that my recent cataract surgery would not make any difference to my insurance, and was relieved to find that it would not, and I would be fully covered. One worry off my mind.

Kitchen cleaning and tidying this morning, then out to the hairdresser late morning - I have to get the timing right for my eyedrops, need to fit seven in every day! Am desperate to get my hair cut, it has got too long and try as I can, impossible to style.

Easy dinner tonight of leftover pea and ham soup.

Wishing all a pleasant Wednesday.

cornergran Wed 30-Sept-26 08:46:45

Good morning all .

A very happy anniversary to you both marydoll. A takeaway sounds just right.

All quiet here. Sun is out after heavy rain and I need to move.

Have the best day you can everyone

Grammaretto Wed 30-Sept-26 08:53:07

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it's dry but after heavy rain.

The skip is still sitting outside almost empty. I hope the neighbour who ordered it will be over later today to begin to fill it. Since fridges and mattresses are forbidden I am at pains to know what to chuck in it.😂😕

I am proud of you Madeleine. for your persistence, patience and tenacity while in such pain. Thankyou for doing what you do. flowers

I also have a headache after my language class GM in my case Gaelic. I'd spent hours on the wrong homework. 😟
I still enjoy my class. The teacher and the other pupils are good fun.

Chiropractor appointment this morning and then escape to yarn group.

I accepted the new quote for removals and cancelled the other one. There was very little difference between them really with all the add ons for insurance and key waiver surcharge - just in case.

I hate paying for insurance. But my GF famously never insured anything and their house burned down! But he was also a gambler and won enough money at the races to buy a farm.

I hear that our dear friend Stilllearning is in hospital for a few more days so sending her
flowers

Hope everyone has some joy today.

Marydoll Wed 30-Sept-26 08:55:28

We have just received a video message from Babydoll.

She was trying to say; Happy anniversary, but struggled. She wished us a happy nursery day instead. 🤣

Spening a day in a nursery would be my worst nightmare. 😱 My forte was working with older, challenging pupils.

monk08 Wed 30-Sept-26 08:57:46

Happy Anniversary to you both Marydoll enjoy your quiet day and takeaway.🍾🥂

Susan56 Wed 30-Sept-26 08:59:01

Good morning from Shropshire.Dry now after overnight rain.

A successful day in town.I had to go to two banks and the staff were kind and helpful at both.I also successfully got some T-shirts requested by my son in law.

A slow start to the day today then later collecting DGS2 from school to take him to Smyths toys and then for something to eat.He got a drum kit for his 7th birthday at the weekend and is excited to demonstrate!

Happy wedding anniversary to the Marydoll’s🍾🥂I hope you manage to get out tomorrow🙏🏻

I am sorry things are so tough for you physically madeleine but glad you have your fighting spirit back💪

Hoping that Stilllearning is home and feeling better.

Wishing everyone the best day possible🌻🦩

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:23:26

“Happy nursery day” sounds so cute Marydoll 😁

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:24:43

Happy Anniversary Marydoll and Mr. Marydoll 🥂🍾🎉

Georgesgran Wed 30-Sept-26 09:26:03

🥂 Happy Anniversary to The Dolls. Hopefully, better days ahead for both of you. X

Grammaretto Wed 30-Sept-26 09:36:16

Wishing you a very happy Nanniversary Marydoll and Mr Doll that's not nursery day
With 🍾🥂 and 🍰

Marydoll Wed 30-Sept-26 09:40:55

We looked so carefree.
If only we knew what was ahead of us.!!

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 30-Sept-26 09:41:40

Morning all from a bright and blustery West Oxfordshire.

Happy anniversary to the Dolls! It was our 50th this year.

Not sure about today. OH wants to visit our nearby NT property a final time before it closes until next year.

There’s always ironing and quilting.

Have a good day.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 30-Sept-26 09:42:23

What a beautiful photo MaryD!

GrandmaC47 Wed 30-Sept-26 10:24:05

Happy Anniversary to the Marydoll’s 🥂🍾

madeleine45 Wed 30-Sept-26 11:21:29

fgt Just a thought. When I was involved with taking blind and partially sighted to a clinic, they had a rather good catalogue I think from the RNIB, and amongst other things they had a very good larger size pack of cards in clear colours. I have bought these for various people and the one great success was for a lovely gentleman who went to our whist group, but whose sight was getting worse. So he got a pack of these cards, and carries them round with him so that whatever table he is sat at uses these cards. Result he is still enjoying playing and socializing with the group and says that he also now quite enjoys a few games of patience at home. I think there were other things that might be worth looking at. I have found various useful things that help with my bad back that is officially meant for some specific users, and if you go to any hospital for anything I think you will find that some of the clinics might either have these catalogues or be able to tell you were you could find one. With that C date coming it might be a help!