Gransnet forums

Chat

Shows you would recommend

(83 Posts)
kittylester Wed 25-Oct-17 07:52:21

On the 'Good Morning' thread Mick often gives us reviews of shows he has seen - especially musicals.

I thought it might be good to have a thread for recommendations.

So, what have you seen that was good....or bad?

downtoearth Wed 25-Oct-17 07:55:40

Am going to see Lady Boys of Bangkok next week kitty will let you know smile

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 08:00:44

I’m not terribly keen on musicals, although will go if offered!

I love the theatre and go a lot. The next booking is at the end of November “How the other half Loves” Rattagan -a happy pre-christmas treat. We often go up to the RAH pre Christmas as well.
We have a booking in January for “The play that went Wrong” in Chichester Festival. I have my eye on a number of others. We would have gone next week to Stoppard’s “The real Thing” but are away on holiday.

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 08:01:27

down they play in Brighton every year.

downtoearth Wed 25-Oct-17 08:02:56

Am looking forward to seeing them ww...

suzied Wed 25-Oct-17 08:06:24

There’s so many good ones in London
Matilda, Wicked, American in Paris, the Lion King ...... and a lot more.

Riverwalk Wed 25-Oct-17 08:15:04

My Name is Rachel Corrie at the Young Vic.

Unfortunately I've just realised it finishes tomorrow so three performances left. At £15 a ticket and a riveting performance by the young actress - highly recommended

Rachel Corrie

tanith Wed 25-Oct-17 08:15:40

The Jersey Boys is great I plan on going again next year.

kittylester Wed 25-Oct-17 08:23:07

Maybe 'shows' wasn't quite the word to use but it was early. grin

We love musicals but also plays, comedians and dh enjoys modern jazz and jazz fusion.

Any Rattigan is a joy ww! envy

Riverwalk Wed 25-Oct-17 08:25:26

The Lie at the Menier Chocolate Factory.

A tragi-comedy, which is on until November, about fidelity and emotions (translated from the French). It's a companion piece to The Truth which I also saw - it later transferred to the West End.

The Lie

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 08:35:09

kit we saw a Rattagan last year at Chichester just before Christmas - can’t remember title (senior moment) which was so funny

KatyK Wed 25-Oct-17 10:36:06

Blood Brothers is fantastic (I am sad enough to have seen it 5 times) as is Miss Saigon (take plenty of tissues for both). I also love Jersey Boys. DH is a fan of Buddy Holly, I never was (silly me) so I booked tickets for Buddy some years ago, it was absolutely great. I hated Les Miserables but I think that's just me as everyone seems to love it. I didn't enjoy Cats either.

MissAdventure Wed 25-Oct-17 10:38:59

I was just going to recommend Blood Brothers. I'm not a fan of musicals at all really, but I absolutely loved it.

NanKate Wed 25-Oct-17 10:59:25

I’ve seen Blood Brothers 3 times KatyK and I am with you on Les Mis ?

Wouldn’t it be good if they made a musical or stage play of ‘Some Like It Hot’ ?

We like to see tribute artists The Counterfeit Stones are excellent and very amusing. Also Ben Portsmouth is fab as Elvis.

MissAdventure Wed 25-Oct-17 11:00:31

I'd love to see Blood Brothers again. I feel I'd enjoy it even more a second time.

Lindylo Wed 25-Oct-17 11:01:22

Sunny Afternoon is terrific especially if you were a fan of The Kinks

NonnaW Wed 25-Oct-17 12:07:38

We’ve recently seen a few things at our local theatre, a good production of Private Lives, All or Nothing (based on the music and story of the Small Faces). Last year a family group went to London to see The Bodyguard (the musical). I must admit, I didn’t fancy it much beforehand but it was very good. We’ve also seen Blood Brothers, We Will Rock You, The Rat Pack ( enlivened by a female member of the audience constantly wailing “Frank, I love you,” till she was removed), Jersey Boys and numerous others. Love the theatre.

grannysyb Wed 25-Oct-17 12:41:37

42nd Street, DH doesn't like musicals, but came humming tunes! Fantastic sets and costumes as well.

Imperfect27 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:55:18

Blood Brothers ... War Horse ... Matilda ... Jane Eyre ... to name but a few. We enjoy theatre and never seem to be disappointed.

Alima Wed 25-Oct-17 14:41:40

Seen loads of musicals over the years, we all enjoy them. A fairly recent one was Beautiful, the Carol King story. That was wonderful, have an idea it is no longer in the West End but maybe touring. Our favourite one is The Blues Brothers closely followed by Buddy, Billy Elliot, the Queen one, could go on and on.

BBbevan Wed 25-Oct-17 15:08:16

Les Miz
Billy Elliot ( lots of the F word though)
Swan Lake ( with all the men, if you ever come across it by Matthew Bourne, brilliant)
Buddy

kittylester Wed 25-Oct-17 18:25:16

We disliked Les Mis and Cats too!!

BlueBelle Wed 25-Oct-17 18:46:09

Blood brothers my favourite too booked to see The Kite runner in March looking forward to that a lot
KatyK I love Les Amis but was bored out of my head with Cats
I be seen the Ladyboys a couple of times downtoEarth they put on a good show

Kittye Wed 25-Oct-17 18:47:34

Would recommend Blood brothers, War Horse but favourite is Les Mis.

Kittye Wed 25-Oct-17 18:49:39

We did see Sweeney Todd with the gorgeous Michael Ball ? and the fabulous Imelda Staunton. Now that was brilliant .!