Gransnet forums

Chat

Moaning thread

(544 Posts)
Lessismore Wed 31-Jul-19 22:22:15

The weather is awful, it's not even August and the nights are drawing in. My husband has an irritating cough and the cat has disappeared.

annsixty Wed 21-Aug-19 09:25:48

You will scream and shout very loudly indeed when you see it for sale on e-bay for the Australian equivalent of £50?

EllanVannin Wed 21-Aug-19 09:47:21

Nearly choked on me crumpet. I'd stay in bed if I were you----just to have one accident-free day.

annodomini Wed 21-Aug-19 10:17:38

You are what we Scots would call 'thrawn'. It's what we have in common with Yorkshire folk. Stubbornness - at all costs grin

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 10:34:01

I have just given away loads of stuff on Freecycle . My son said something similar annsixty .

I don’t really care if they sell it all on eBay to be honest, good for them I say .

Namsnanny Wed 21-Aug-19 12:46:01

Who mentioned eBay????
Still in sofa saga sadness as they are still holding on to my money! Grrrr!!
How about you MissAdventure...sofa/settee/couch problems on going?

Barmeyoldbat....scissor situation has taken a new turn. As he has ruined any sharp ones I had, I’ve turned a ‘blind eye’ his growing flowing locks (as I usually notice when he needs a hair cut and do it myself as he hates hairdressers! Yet another story for another time!).

To the extent that he is looking like a cross between a yeti and a orangutan - yes he’s ginger-ish! ( I’ll tell you about our escapades in hot countries another time if you have the patience: heat rashes sunstroke etc)

So him not being daft (or so he said) let his beard grow to take attention away from his hair getting more and more rumplestilskin like.
‘Don’t want people mistaking me for Nicole Kidman do I?’ In what universe thought I, but Heyho

So we have now reached HairGate.
A stand off....he darn’t mention hair Cut without expecting a well deserved mouthful on chickens coming home to roost, actions having consequences etc., but I have to put up with this lumberjack, mountain man frightening everyone when we’re out shopping.

It’s reaching a tipping point, one of us has to give, and he’s just upped his game by putting on a check shirt.....with a ripped pocket!!!

I’m holding firm..for now.

Resurgam123 Fri 23-Aug-19 07:14:47

Oh I was putting my stiff aching back on the moan thread instead of the weather one. I can at least it moves a bit more now.

DanniRae Fri 23-Aug-19 08:10:05

Namsnanny - I feel a little confused by your story. Who is 'he'? At first I thought he was your little grandson but then 'he' had a beard! So big grandson/husband? Please let us know.
Bradfordlass - I am sorry but I am going to tick you off for moving that table on your own! Yes you managed it but the story could have been very different. You could have really injured yourself. What was the hurry? You were only putting it out on the street. Please think before you take on another task like this. It's really not worth it and proves what? Ticking off over!! Take care because we need you to come on here and amuse us with your (safe) stories. I thought your muddy story was hilarious grin

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:35:31

annodomini My Mum used to say, "Eee, you're as thrawn as Throp's wife."
No idea who she was though.

Two quiet, uneventful days. Still hobbling. grin

annsixty I wouldn't mind if they sold it.
I'm actually giving away a whole load of goods in much better condition which would bring in $$$ if I chose to sell them. But I'm a lucky person shamrock and there are families out there who don't have my good fortune.

annsixty Fri 23-Aug-19 11:45:34

Well all respect to you, that is a good thing you are doing.

Anniebach Fri 23-Aug-19 13:57:34

Just had a leaflet through the door.

At church hall - be slim for life with Slimming World

I am 5’7”, size 8. Long to be size 10.

More paper recycling

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Aug-19 14:07:54

In the third week of a horrendous hacking cough, pelvic floor has given up fighting it, looking forward to an interesting walk into town. I got as far as our local pub yesterday before doubling up in a paroxysm of coughing. The young couple over the road were obviously debating whether to run over and put me in the recovery position. grin

MissAdventure Fri 23-Aug-19 14:18:00

Oh that's an awful part about hacking coughs, when you have to worry about the other end, too!

You've been poorly for a while haven't you, Marydoll?

Namsnanny Fri 23-Aug-19 15:49:40

Dannirae....Sorry I got too carried away and just referred back to my other post without explanation!!!! He is He Who Must Be Obeyed - my ever loving husband.

DanniRae Fri 23-Aug-19 16:36:31

OK thanks Namsnanny for explanation smile

MissAdventure Fri 23-Aug-19 20:18:25

Hoping 2 more new sofas don't turn up!
Every time I hear anything bigger than a bike outside I convince myself it's a lorry, one that contains them. Scared!

Marydoll Fri 23-Aug-19 20:28:00

I need to have a really good moan. Sorry this is going to be a very long post, (practically a novel) but I need to vent! angry. Please don't feel obliged to read my rant. grin.

For the first time in ages I had a free afternoon. (No childminding, nursery pick ups, doctor's, hospitals, daughter visiting to raid the fridge etc. etc.) I was so looking forward to it.

I went into the garage for something, (Bear in mind, I have RA, osteporosis, heart problems and I'm only 5ft tall!) when the door fell off. ? I was screaming for help, trying to hold it up, just like Atlas holding up the earth!
Yes, I really look like that!

No-one came. I screamed and screamed and screamed.
I eventually heard an exasperated voice calling from the house, asking what was wrong. Still DH didn't come. I screamed even louder, with a few expletives thrown in.
His first words: What did you do to it? ?

My neighbour came rushing across to help. Outcome, the door was knackered and I had to arrange the repair, as DH was flapping. [ Visualise frustrated emoj, I can't find one]

I have been having problems with painful teeth, very sore mouth, full of mouth ulcers, over the last few days. I know this can be a side effect of my RA medication, so while waiting for the garage man, I decided to phone my GP for advice, as I couldn't get a hold of my consultant.
This anxiety was caused by the fact that I spent some time in Coronary Care in April, after the last drug allergy episode and was warned to phone as soon as anything untoward happened. (Well I got a BIG row the last time for being stoic and not seeking help sooner. blush )

Triage GP phoned back and all hell let loose, after I explained my symptoms!
Get to your dentist immediately, we are afraid you have jaw necrosis caused by your osteoporosis infusion , then phone the hospital again.
Dentist was closed due to Bank holiday. Phoned consultant's secretary, she went looking for a doctor, any doctor, but they were all in clinics.

Phoned back GP, she asked me to come down immediately. DH couldn't drive me, as he was waiting for garage door man. ( In fact, he was guarding his recent delivery of beer, bought at a bargain price, I can confirm)

I braved the Friday rush hour traffic and then nearly got killed on a Zebra crossing, by someone who didn't see me in the middle of the crossing. I know I'm small, but not that small. confused. Could this be another example of ageism,? I am in fact invisible, just haven't realised it.

GP decided I have sinusitis into the bargain, as my temp is up, so precribed an antibiotic. I didn't even know I was unwell!
This will affect my newly, reinstated travel ins again! sad
GP also said I have not to wait until Tuesday for my regular bloods, they need to be done on Monday first thing. (That's Monday gone!)

Off I toddled and my phone rang as I struggled to get into my car. It was my every cheery, eccentric (think Catweazle) RA consultant. He was not prepared to stop the medication, as he thinks it's my heart pills to blame for the ulcers, bruising and unhealed cuts.

He also wanted bloods done ASAP to check my thyroid function into the bargain. (Travel ins implications again). Said a cheery goodbye and wished me a good weekend. Then added , I think you should wear gloves whenever you go out. This will protect your hands, as the slightest knock is bursting your skin. I'm (hopefully) going to Rome in ten days, the temp will be 38 degrees. grin I will look so chic and elegant, NOT!

Phoned GP surgery from my car, as I couldn't face the trek back to the surgery.
Twenty minutes later, I was still trying to explain to Mrs Jobsworth that my consultant had just phoned and has asked me to pass a message onto my GP about a change in the management of my RA medication.
The conversation went something like this:
No, I don't have a letter, it was a phone call. No, I don't have a letter, it was a phone call. No, I don't have a letter, it was a phone call .........

I arrived home, my DH excitedly told me he had a surprise for me. This would cheer me up. The new, sunset yellow kettle, (to ENHANCE my new kitchen,) which he purchased from a famous online retailer, (think of a very long river) had arrived. It had only taken four weeks to be delivered.

It had a Chinese power cable!!! ?

Now normally, I would have a glass of wine to relax, no more alcohol ever for me. My other addiction, Pepsi Max is also banned.

I now think I may have burned the dinner, writing this novelette! Burnt cheese souffle, anyone?

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.grin

annsixty Fri 23-Aug-19 20:35:43

Oh Marydoll how I feel for you.
It seems everything that could happen, has.
I so hope you can manage your holiday and that things turn a corner for you.
No more wine would be the end for me but that is being flippant.
I wish you all the luck in the world.

Marydoll Fri 23-Aug-19 20:48:14

Ann, it was the last straw for me too! I don't mind flippant

When in Rome, I don't need to tell any of the waiters in our favourite restaurant our order.
They plonk a bottle of chilled vino toscano bianco on the table, as soon as they see us coming! sad.
Oh and two glasses of Prosecco on a silver tray to welcome us.
This is indeed the straw that has broken this poor camel's back. grin

At a wedding last week, the groom's mother had kindly organised a bottle of non-alcoholic Prosecco (sacrilege) for me.
I wonder if they sell it in Rome. grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 23-Aug-19 21:55:19

Oh, Marydoll, no! Your woes have certainly eclipsed my pathetic coughing and subsequent unwanted piddling. What a day! And what a b*gger when you can't even have any wine!

I shall be keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you over the next 10 days. No more dramas, please! flowers

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 08:04:02

Oh Marydoll the usual solution to situations like this is to get pleasantly p*ss*d and sod it all, but you can’t even do that. You poor lady.

I sincerely hope you will still get to Rome . Maybe these were all “trials” that you have to get through to reach the prize at the end ......Rome !

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Aug-19 08:12:35

Oh Marydoll what a dreadful day. I do hope you get to Rome and you got your door fixed!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 24-Aug-19 08:13:34

Oh Marydoll what a complete and utterly rotten time of it you're having.

I shall never moan about my silly little trivialities ever again.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 24-Aug-19 08:24:50

We ordered a new kitchen worktop online, oak made from 90mm staves. Lovely to look at when it arrived but DP noticed the staves were different sizes, 2 wider ones at either end, one 150mm, other about 120mm ones in between being 60-70mm. The moan is, as he pointed out to the company, is not the quality of the worktop but that it is not as described. Their response was to refer to the T&C which mentions approximation depending on materials and they feel what was provided delivers this, ie about a third of the size difference is approximate. Now we could have ordered a cheaper worktop with 40mm staves but based on their approach, we could have ended up with a load of kindling. We will be proving a comment on their review site.

Brunette10 Sat 24-Aug-19 08:29:43

Marydoll, good heavens! You do live an interesting and active life however I think I shall stick to my rather quieter, boring life. Joking of course wink. I fully read your post I can't imagine how you felt yesterday as if you've not been through enough. I certainly hope you slept well last night and you are feeling more relaxed today and hopefully have a more relaxed and enjoyable day. flowers

Marydoll Sat 24-Aug-19 08:33:11

My dear friends, worry not about me! I'm a tough, old
bird and episodes like this are normal for me.
There is always some disaster lurking round the corner.
As usual, I will meet the disasters head on, keep smiling and get on with it!
(I'm a typical Taurus, although I don't believe in all that nonsense!) wink smile

The door was eventually fixed last night. Apparently we needed a left hand part, when only right hand parts were available. confused

All is well again, DH's world is back in equilibrium, no-one has stolen his craft beer, nor my consignment of Italian wine , that I'm no longer allowed to drink, sad, (complete with free dinner set and Italian delicacies) so that is all that matters. smile.
I have to say he was absolutely useless!!! DH is hopeless in a crisis, but so supportive of my ill health, so I shall let him off this time.

Thanks for all your kind words, I just feel cr**p this morning (physically, not mentally) , but hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon.

On a positive note, I'm so grateful for all the support I get from the NHS and my GN friends, I'm a very fortunate lady.

Enjoy your Saturday and hopefully the sunshine!