Gransnet forums

Chat

I had a terrible fall today.

(63 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:21:00

I was standing at the back door at the top of the stairs and I walked down one step to shout into the kitchen window to my parents and when I turned around to go back up to where I had been standing, I fell forwards onto the 'landing', grabbed onto the wall (the stairs have a wall so that you don't fall off the staircase) which then collapsed on top of me. I was lying on the stone landing with a stone wall on top of me when a load of beetles that clearly been living in the wall ran out! I managed to get up and I got into the house as quick as I could. I must have been in shock as I didn't notice my leg was bleeding or I only had one shoe on, all I could think about was that I had left my handbag outside, until my mum removed it from me (I had it cross body). She cleaned me up and then the pain set in. I ended up having to drink hot sweet latte to get a bit of composure. It was so bad, my mother had to help me to shower. I am now worried about what the neighbours will think about the wall collapsing and if any of them seen me scurrying into the house with one shoe on, bleeding. I must have looked like a loony. I must stop rambling, anyway, I hope you are all well. X

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:25:46

I also have pain going from my shoulder up to my neck. It took 3 baby wipes to stop the bleeding from my knee!

SueDonim Mon 25-May-20 23:32:03

Was this before or after the nosebleed you had and before or after the nap you had this afternoon?

mande Mon 25-May-20 23:33:07

God bless you. A shocking experience! Are you sure there’s nothing broken? I think you’ll be battered and sore for a bit. Take care! ?

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:34:19

After both. The fall was around 8:00pm. It's been an eventful day.

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 23:36:37

It’s sweet tea not sweet latte for shock flying brew
Who was the most shocked, you with a wall on top of you or the beetles that you just deprived of a happy home?
I recommend a brandy and a good night’s sleep.

Marydoll Mon 25-May-20 23:36:54

Have you been checked out by a doctor, in case you have hurt yourself?

Sounds like a very bad fall to me.

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:37:27

mande thanks so much. There's nothing broken as far as I can tell, my family was trying to get me to go to A&E but I don't want to put more pressure on the NHS or risk catching the virus. X

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:40:50

lemongrove I know you're supposed to drink tea but I thought the latte would be better because of more sugar. I am so frightened of beetles.
Marydoll my mother checked me over but I didn't want to cause a fuss by going to hospital.

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:42:17

I'm going to try to sleep now. Night night all. I'll answer subsequent replies tomorrow. Sleep well all. God bless x

Marydoll Mon 25-May-20 23:43:56

I hope you don't live alone, FlyingHandbag, just in case there are any consequences from the fall.

FlyingHandbag Mon 25-May-20 23:47:17

I don't Marydoll I live with my parents. X

annodomini Mon 25-May-20 23:51:22

A very nasty tumble FH. You should never be afraid of 'causing a fuss' because you could have injuries that weren't obvious at the time. I know hot sweet tea is the traditional remedy but hot sweet anything would be just as good. When I fell and concussed myself, a friend made me hot chocolate. Definitely more soothing than tea!

Ailsa43 Mon 25-May-20 23:55:59

oh @FlyingHandbag, I don't post much but I had to post to say I hope you'll feel better tomorrow, I had my heart in my mouth reading your story. I'm glad there was no serious injury , but still it would have shaken you up quite badly I suspect
. It's usually the shock afterwards that gets you more than the injury. Get better soon

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-20 00:08:28

Oh blimey, FlyingHandbag, that sounds nasty. If you have any symptoms that could mean a broken bone, don’t put off going for an x-ray. I measured my length in the street a couple of years ago and kept thinking the pain in my hand would ease. I gave in and had it checked out 8 days later and I had a broken bone at the base of my fingers. I was told that if I’d left it a day or two longer it would have started to set in the wrong position and could have caused long-term problems.

Nortsat Tue 26-May-20 00:21:24

Oh poor you.
I hope you get a decent nights sleep, then see how things are in the morning. ?

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 00:25:51

Oh dear, if it continues to hurt perhaps you will need an X ray. Every precaution will be taken to keep you safe from infection, I'm sure.

A&E departments are, in fact, not as pressurised as usual.

flowers

heath480 Tue 26-May-20 00:32:26

I also fell yesterday,out walking my dog,twisted my foot on the way down,it’s swollen painful and going blacker by the minute.

Hope you feel better tomorrow OP.Sounds as if you had a lucky escape as did I.A and E is the last place I want to go at the moment.

newnanny Tue 26-May-20 02:48:55

I hope you feel better soon. You should take it easy for a few days.

welbeck Tue 26-May-20 03:00:43

please go to minor injuries / walk-in centre if not A&E.
clean the wound thoroughly, until it hurts, with plenty of water, and finish with antiseptic if possible.
watch out for any signs of infection, heat, redness, tracking, in which case go at once to A&E.
have you had a tetanus injection recently.
what was the nosebleed about. perhaps a general check-up is in order. good luck.
ps who does the wall belong to. is it covered on house insurance. cannot quite understand the setting. is it a flat up a flight of external stairs. are your parents elderly. take care.

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 10:37:34

Thanks all so so much for your lovely messages. I am still in a lot of pain. The wall is a flat wall up the external stairs. My parents are reasonably old but not extremely elderly. I think I am still slightly shocked but when those beetles came out, it was like a scene from Alien. Oh gawd what will the neighbours think? I live on a cul-de-sac and some of the gardens from the neighbouring streets face into mine. What will they think about me scrambling in with one shoe on bleeding?flowersthanks

Elegran Tue 26-May-20 10:48:49

You seem to be OK, but what is happening about the wall? It is still a danger. The remnants willbe all over the stairs - your elderly parents won't be safe. Have you or they taken steps to get it fixed? Or to report it to the council? Should they investigate similar stairs in the street?

MerylStreep Tue 26-May-20 10:57:58

Had you never held onto that wall before and by doing noticing that it wasn't solid?

FlyingHandbag Tue 26-May-20 11:29:27

My parents are fitter than me. This house is privately owned and rented to my parents. My father just placed the wall back together and is insisting he will cement it. I think we need a stonemason. I was accused of climbing on the wall by my father!! You would think I was about sixhmm

annodomini Tue 26-May-20 11:46:55

If that wall was unsafe - and surely it was - it's the responsibility of the landlord. I hope your parents have a watertight rental agreement.