Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Thu 28-May-20 06:09:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another bright blue sky over Brackley this morning.
Yesterday , received hair trimmer in the post ,and will attempt to shorten my hair a little.
I noticed via an email from someone in Northampton I know, that bus services will start to operate a normal service with restrictions with 2m seating max 11 on a single deck and 20 on a double decker .
I only hope the X5 Oxford -Cambridge extends beyond MK towards Oxford soon there again I suppose restrictions as to passenger numbers will apply .
Take Care
Mick

Beechnut Thu 28-May-20 06:17:56

Good Morning everyone from a sunny Severnside.

I’ve a small shop to do today and then cleaning upstairs.
Sit and read in the sunshine for a while and do the last clap tonight.

Good luck with the haircut Mick. If you take off a big chunk you can always give yourself a bald haircut. ?

Good wishes to all ?

grandMattie Thu 28-May-20 06:23:35

Good morning from a sunny if chilly E Kent.
Nothing today except check on the few stalls in our market during our walk this morning. I usually but flowers.
DH is delighted that I have learned to poach eggs in the microwave. I have refused to poach them until now and he loves eggs.
Mick only use the trimmer with the longest comb to start with, and reduce the size to suit, that way you don’t end up with chunks removed!
Hope today brings you all only good things.
Stay well, stay safe

Sar53 Thu 28-May-20 06:26:12

Good morning everyone from a sunny but very windy Essex by the sea.
I've been awake since 5 so decided to get up and read for a bit.
We had a three way quiz with my daughters yesterday evening, really good fun and we won for a change !!!
DH will do our weekly supermarket shop later and then probably a walk by the sea.
Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone xx

Brunette10 Thu 28-May-20 06:58:25

Good Morning to all and to those who follow. It's nice here in Fife at the moment but waiting for the sun to appear to have another bright and warm day. Off out shopping in a few minutes to re-stock. Quite like going at this time, it's quiet and I am also getting used to just shopping once a week. Will be out pottering in the garden later on once I return, shopping put away and household chores all done. Looks as if we are all going to have good weather so hopefully everyone will be able to at least put our woes behind for a time and enjoy what we have for the moment. Looking forward to NS's update today and hope it puts a big smile on our faces here in Scotland. Take care everyone and keep your chin up.

Puzzler61 Thu 28-May-20 07:10:29

Good Morning All. Mick another point to remember re: clippers:
all the time I’m doing DH’s hair he says”use scooping action” so then you’re not driving the teeth of them into your head but going in and along for the cut, then away again in an upward scoop movement. (unfortunately it seems easy to nick your skin and fetch blood - not a good thing). You’ll soon be a pro. at it ??‍♂️
Sunny with a breeze in Worcs. again. We had our water sprinkler on in the evening as well as watering, so the border plants and lawn look refreshed this morning.
We need a new toilet seat in the Puzzler household so I’ll be looking at online possibilities. I want one that fits, not moves when you sit down or pinches your bum (if you know what I mean).
Looked at John Lewis as we can click and collect easily from a nearby Waitrose without paying a delivery charge - and their small range is all sold out. Are folks stockpiling loo seats??

Other things planned today are a bit of sewing, a bit of ironing, a bit of paperwork and a bit of reading. A ‘ Bit Of’ day then ?

All stay safe, and Feel Better Soon if you’re feeling worried or poorly. ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 28-May-20 07:16:05

Good morning Mick and all x

Another warm day here in S E Essex, clear blue sky.

Sun lounger and kind,e for me today.

Keep safe and well folks ?

NfkDumpling Thu 28-May-20 07:17:07

Morning All

Another lovely sunny day in prospect here in the north of Norfolk - although the garden is in dire need of a nice steady rain (preferably overnight). The grass is looking a bit parched in places.

High point for today is changing the sheets and doing the washing.

NfkDumpling Thu 28-May-20 07:18:22

(I bet your promised letter comes second class Gilly - just to add to the tension. But fingers crossed anyway.)

brook2704 Thu 28-May-20 07:21:14

Good morning everyone from Inverness. It’s a bit cloudy just now but yesterday started off like this and ended up a lovely warm sunny day.

Hope your haircut goes well mick

I’m with you Brunette - hopefully we’ll get the go ahead to go out a bit more from tomorrow - will definitely put a big smile on my face !

Nothing different much planned for today, a couple of online exercise classes and maybe a bit of baking ?

Ooh you’ve just reminded me nfk I need to change the sheets today too - thanks ! ?

Hope everyone has the best day they can and thinking especially of those with extra struggles and worries

Take care ?

Nanabanana1 Thu 28-May-20 07:23:22

Good morning everyone lovely bright blue sky across Torbay this morning, nothing much planned, delivery from butcher and supermarket today. Maybe some sewing.
Hope everyone has a good trouble free day.

Gingster Thu 28-May-20 07:27:52

Good morning all. Another lovely day ahead ☀️.

We visited our local, very small nursery yesterday. Not much there but we got a few geraniums, bizzy Lizzies, big orange daisy plants (don’t know their name) and popped them into our empty tubs for a bit of colour. ???. Hardly any customers there so we were in and out in a trice.

Popped round to DS1 In the evening and had a glass of fizz in the garden. First time we’ve seen them in 10 weeks. The GD s had grown - 11 and 13. Quite the young ladies. Lovely to see them but hard not to have a squeeze. ((( ))).

Our neighbour is very poorly and has been since December. He’s lost 2 stone and looks grey. The hospital don’t know what’s wrong. They say Corona test was negative. I think there’s something not adding up. He’s usually very fit , always out and about and doing. Poor man.

Last evening clap tonight. It’s right to stop now but I think most people will miss it.

Have a gentle day. ?

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 28-May-20 07:38:45

Good morning from east London, cloudy here, mild and I have to get moving as it’s foodbank day. Last week there were 3 people waiting when I got there with an hour to go before we opened. No choir tonight as it’s half term and we’ll see what the last clap brings. Last week, I had my tambourine. DS made the pizza he promised me last night/early hours of today; as it was after I’d gone to bed it’ll do for lunch today. I’d share it if I could. Have a good day.

cornergran Thu 28-May-20 07:45:12

Morning Mick, morning All. Blue sky over our corner of Somerset. Off for an early beach walk before it’s busy. Still a lot of people coming, can understand while preferring to avoid them. Food shop due later. Apparently nothing missing or substituted. How lucky are we? Be gentle with yourselves everyone.

BlueSapphire Thu 28-May-20 07:50:36

Good morning, very dull and overcast here in Northampton today, and I have just put the sheets in the washing machine! Have decided to change to my summer duvet with the current warm weather.

The Shark is ready and waiting upstairs to attack the huge amount of fur that my long- haired cats have been shedding. The cats are white, so every clump really shows!

Had quite a good day yesterday, cut the grass, did some washing, watered the garden, had my expedition to the end of the road and back. Sat out in the sun watching the cats and practising my breathing exercises. Read a lot of my book. The Greek meatballs were delicious, but could not find the recipe for the sauce, so made it up, using sauted onions, cumin, cinnamon and a half tin of tomatoes. Did some rice to go with it. Wished I could have had a nice glass of red wine with it, but not allowed with my tablets! Must ring the GP today to see if they will prescribe another pack.

Oh, and I think my brain might be frying in this warm weather! Went out for my little walk in Tuesday, came back, sat in the garden, put my hand up to straighten my hair, and discovered I still had my rollers in from the morning! Had been trying to do something to give my hair a bit of shape, so out came the rollers from the back of the bathroom cupboard. Thank goodness I didn't see anyone, though if the neighbours had been looking out of their windows, they might have thought I had well and truly lost it!

Hope everyone's day goes well.

dragonfly46 Thu 28-May-20 07:51:30

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Did lots around the garden and house yesterday and thought I would suffer today but ?I feel okay.

Changing beds today and must contact a friend who is suffering from extreme anxiety. The problem is the ignores any suggestions which might help so very frustrating.

Zoom meeting with NWR this afternoon which is always fun. Then the last clap tonight.

Take care everyone. Hope you had a good night Mary and Gilly.

Marydoll Thu 28-May-20 07:56:04

Good morning all, it's cloudy here in Glasgow, but it promises to be a lovely day.
I have been up since before 6am, been downstairs, had some tea and painkillers and watched QVC for ten minutes, now lying in bed for an hour.
I was nearly seduced by Today's special value, a rotating hot air brush! I managed to stop myself. ? My hair takes forever to dry, especially as it hasn't been cut in weeks. Holding a hairdryer is painful, but I'm so vain, despite no- one seeing me!
I thought I had made a reasonable job of my thinning my hair, but I noticed a thick tuft yesterday. I will try and sort it today, but I have to remind myself, I'm only a trainee after all!.?

No early morning walk round the block for us for us, I don't think I could manage it today . DH is delighted, as he overdid it yesterday in the garden. The garden is looking good, but we definitely need more bedding plants and everywhere is closed☹️
It takes ages for DH to get round to doing jobs once I have planted the idea, but when he does, he doesn't stop. I always have to have a long term plan! ?

Mick, there are lots of videos on You Tube on how to use your trimmers.
DS1 complemented me on DH's haircut yesterday.
What he didn't realise is that, the other night, when DH was sleeping, I noticed that I may have been over enthusiastic, he had a strange bald patch on the side of his head! ?

I too am looking forward to hearing what Nicola Sturgeon has to say at her lunchtime briefing today.
DH, ever Mr Cheerful , said he didn't think there would be any good news for those of us shielding! ?
I live in hope!

Have the best day you can everyone.

Urmstongran Thu 28-May-20 07:56:08

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s hazy. The Med is more grey than blue right now! It’ll doubtless burn off in a while.

Yesterday I had to laugh at a workman’s ingenuity. We walked up into Arroyo for coffee and to buy a birthday card. Workmen were drilling to cut into some paving stones in the Plaza Austria. One had put a hat on his head then cut a hole in a huge piece of thick cardboard and had tied it to his hat with string! It made a sturdy sombrero and considering he was working in 33°C it was brilliant as it kept his neck and shoulders in the shade!

Hope gillybob gets her letter from Barclays today and that Thursday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Urmstongran Thu 28-May-20 07:57:13

Ha! X posts again Marydoll
??‍♀️

Pantglas2 Thu 28-May-20 08:00:11

Good morning all from a bright and sunny north Wales where I’m psyching myself up for the shop trot!

DH is insisting on ‘helping’ me so I shall be a bag of nerves by the time we get back.....oh dear, he’s worse than a houseful of kids because he doesn’t ‘get’ the new etiquette in shops!

Blue sapphire put a picture in my head with her rollers still in situ, of Nora Batty - hilarious!

Stay safe everyone x

Marydoll Thu 28-May-20 08:00:21

Urmstongran, we are definitely sympatico!

Glad to hear you are getting out and about again! ???
Enjoy!

ninathenana Thu 28-May-20 08:03:41

Good morning, another glorious morning in Kent.
I'm going on an adventure today. I'm venturing to the out of town shopping site to shop at Iceland. I've not been in a shop for about 6 wks. Hope the queue isn't too long.
Stay safe.

harrigran Thu 28-May-20 08:06:17

Good morning from a bright NE.
Morrison's delivery this morning, there are always lots of substitutes and the packing leaves a lot to be desired, squashed produce. Sadly it is usually the basics that are missing like bread and eggs.
BIL remains in isolation in hospital in Germany with further tests being carried out, my sister not allowed to visit him but had to travel across the city in a taxi to take clean clothes to him. She is suffering badly from shingles on her face and is feeling pretty wretched.

I think we will manage some time in the garden this afternoon, I am getting through a lot of books.
Thinking of you gilly and hope you get sorted with the bank.
Take care everyone.

brook2704 Thu 28-May-20 08:07:20

I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed for you marydoll and everyone else shielding. I hope there’s some good news and something to look forward to announced today.

Nortsat Thu 28-May-20 08:15:35

Good morning Mick and the GM team. Glad you have information about the resumption of your bus services Mick.
grandMattie do share your microwave technique for poaching eggs. I love poached eggs but seldom make them. I like Eggs Benedict too, but only if (when) we are eating breakfast/brunch out (sigh).

The side effects of my meds are settling down a bit (hurrah) and I am waiting to learn whether I will be taken off the shielding list!

I have been buying Ch****mas presents in the on-line sales. I found a lovely site selling fair trade items made in Vietnam and SE Asia and wooden pens made from old, recycled whisky barrels! (www.auraque.com).

The garden, my new book and my tapestry are the order of the day, today.
Hope we all have a pleasant day and special good thoughts to those who need them. ?