Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you do this when washing and ironing?

(76 Posts)
Peeteegee Fri 07-Aug-20 13:21:49

Hello everyone. I am thoroughly enjoying Gransnet, although too timid to join any threads just yet! However, when doing my washing and ironing recently, my neighbour pointed out to me that I was doing something unusual. I was doing several loads of bed linen and, as it came out of the washing machine, I ironed it and then hung it on the washing line to finish drying. I do this because I don’t like ironing when things are line dry (although I do have a fancy steam pressure iron), I just find it easier to iron it damp then hang it out to finish drying. Surely I’m not alone in doing this?!! Looking forward to your replies. Not an earth shattering new thread, but thought it might amuse some as it appears to have amused my neighbour! Wishing you all a happy Friday.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 07-Aug-20 13:23:41

That sounds very unusual to me! ?

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 13:25:37

Welcome Peeteegee, does your neighbour always comment on the way you choose to do your housework?
I never iron sheets, just the pillow cases.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 07-Aug-20 13:25:39

I don’t iron sheets at all and only one side of a duvet cover. I can’t imagine struggling ironing a king size wet one!

(Sorry posted too soon!)

Welcome to GN xx

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:26:45

Me too HootyMOf

Illte Fri 07-Aug-20 13:41:30

My OH irons everything wet. Shirts, jeans, whatever.

He thinks my use of the steam iron is silly.

The ironing board is beginning to go rusty ?

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 13:42:14

I don’t iron any bed linen any more - except perhaps pillowcases when guests are due. The new duvet cover I bought for the spare room bed is patterned (blue Wm Morris strawberry thief) and doesn’t show creases anyway, hallelujah! ?

Peeteegee Fri 07-Aug-20 13:42:28

I had a feeling I am quite peculiar - and not just because I appear to be I’m the minority of ironing my bed sheets, including pillow protectors and mattress protectors! I do the ironing in the garden whenever the weather allows, hence my neighbour commenting (he doesn’t do any ironing at all!), that I have the neatest line of washing he had ever seen! (And yes, I am one of those who uses matching pegs on each item.) This is getting worse, isn’t it?! Should admit that all clothes are hung on the line on hangers - can’t bear to have peg marks on them! Enough now, I’m in for a drubbing, I fear!

Peeteegee Fri 07-Aug-20 13:43:45

I’m = in. Sorry, didn’t realise I could preview my message!

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:50:30

Welcome Peeteegee. Each to his own- I make sure I hang everything correctly so that I do not introduce creases because I iron zilch.

Grannybags Fri 07-Aug-20 13:53:07

I hardly iron anything but I do have to have matching pegs when hanging out the washing!

I also hang tops on hangers so that I can get away without ironing them wink

cornergran Fri 07-Aug-20 13:53:24

The clothes go on the line on hangers here too peeteegee. Seems sensible to me smile. Mr C irons the bed clothes, not my responsibility grin.

25Avalon Fri 07-Aug-20 13:56:48

I hate ironing and do as little as possible. How lovely, however to find that I am not the only person to use matching pegs on each item. Not only that but I choose peg colours to go with the garment. I once told someone that and they thought I was very odd!

Rainwashed Fri 07-Aug-20 13:57:14

I once had a neighbour who ironed everything as soon as it came out the machine, putting things on hangers on the line if appropriate..She said it was to stop the ironing building up, which I can understand, but I have never done this.
I don’t iron household items like bedding and t towels Etc (stopped doing it when I had young children and never restarted!)
However I do iron most clothing, but a lot of people these days claim not to iron at all.
I guess we all do what works best for us and long may it continue!

Xander Fri 07-Aug-20 14:10:14

Yes, not always but often, do iron damp bedding and clothes and hang to finish drying process.

MellowYellow Fri 07-Aug-20 14:14:02

Ooh what a lovely thread! I bet it's great ironing wet clothes, all that steam! But not for me, I don't iron anything, ever. However, I try to use same colour pegs for each item on the washing line and assumed I was the only person who did that! This is fun....

Grannybags Fri 07-Aug-20 14:16:13

25Avalon

I hate ironing and do as little as possible. How lovely, however to find that I am not the only person to use matching pegs on each item. Not only that but I choose peg colours to go with the garment. I once told someone that and they thought I was very odd!

My pegs came in three colours, pink, blue and yellow.

Obviously it's pink for my stuff, blue for his and yellow is ok for either. Very sexist but works for me!

crazyH Fri 07-Aug-20 14:17:02

Hate ironing. I dry the sheets on the line, that's it. The duvet covers these days don't really need much ironing. It's surprising how a non ironed duvet cover, looks pretty good when the bed is made ........

OurKid1 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:17:23

I don't iron items before I put them out, but I'll often get an ironing urge (I know, I know) when they're half dry, so I'll get them in, iron them dampish, then return to the line to finish off. Gives me a feeling of having got a job done without really noticing ...

I also use matching pegs, especially for socks.

Does anyone else occasionally feel the need to hide bras, pants etc... behind something else on a rotary clothes line? No? Oh, just me then ...

25Avalon Fri 07-Aug-20 14:17:54

Thank you, thank you Grannybags!

J52 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:25:47

I iron all my bed linen, which is pure cotton, after it’s dried. I love the smell and feel of freshly laundered sheets.
It looks like I’m in the minority!

Urmstongran Fri 07-Aug-20 14:34:40

I don’t iron anything. Wash, pull into shape a bit, dry and fold or back onto hangers. A very occasional white shirt for Himself if we are going to a funeral or a wedding and that’s about it!
?

tanith Fri 07-Aug-20 14:38:21

I don’t iron much and definitely not bedding.

Bluebellwould Fri 07-Aug-20 14:46:29

Can somebody explain what ironing is please. ?

Serendipity22 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:48:56

Blimey ! Hahahaha

Well, from someone who loves ironing (( that in itself is cookoo I suppose)) I can honestly say that it has never crossed my mind to iron when wet.

The only thing I have ironed (( hand on heart )) is a wet tea towel over Wonder Web

But I say this, each to their own, no one can say its right and no one can say its wrong ..... if it is what you do, the it's what you do.... end of

Happpppy wet/dry ironing ...

smilesmilesmile