Gransnet forums

Chat

People who bleed

(38 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 12:34:22

Tampax celebrating the 'diversity of all people who bleed'.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:36:03

Only people born as female have periods, folk can call themselves what they want but it’s impossible to change one’s chromosomes.

Lolo81 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:50:49

There is IMO a difference between someone’s sex which is assigned at birth and their gender which is effectively a social construct.
Does the fact that Tampax are recognising this publicly really have to cause debate or derision? Does it hurt anyone?
Maybe I’m missing something here, but if you were born female and now identify as male or non binary and this advert makes you feel a bit more included in society I really don’t see the harm.

Ilovecheese Sat 24-Oct-20 12:54:12

Sex is noted at birth, not assigned. Apart from that, no harm done, but a rather bossy tone, get back in your boxes women! We will tell you what you are!

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 12:56:48

It makes me as a biological woman feel excluded. But even more importantly it’s part of the movement of redefining sex and denying the biological reality of sex and how it shapes women’s lives and experiences and make women disappear. Tampax can take their transgender wine ideology and ......cannot be polite enough ......

Lolo81 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:01:03

Ilovecheese - maybe I’m being completely thick here, but I really don’t get how it’s bossy? Or how it’s telling anyone who they are?

NotSpaghetti Sat 24-Oct-20 13:03:25

Didn't we have this same discussion on Gransnet 6 or 8 months ago?

Bluebellwould Sat 24-Oct-20 13:10:57

People who bleed! Everyone bleeds don’t they? If you cut someone they bleed. Surely they mean people who menstruate which is a totally different thing.

Iam64 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:19:27

Good point bluebellwould. I wonder if this ad could be found to breach some advertising legislation

I suspect Tampex has put this out in anticipation of it causing righteous anger amongst many women. Free publicity

MissAdventure Sat 24-Oct-20 13:40:35

Tampax.
'For every bleeder'.

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 13:44:12

The tweet is deliberate ill intentioned woke GFery of the worst kind. All anyone needs to know is that Tampax are for periods ( or sanitary products if we want to be twee).

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:26:36

Merchant of Venice Act 111 scene 1
“Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?“

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 14:27:40

When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was "this is about haemophiliac", then I remembered we have of course, in the western world at least, entered this weird parallel universe, because as sure as eggs more conservative cultures aren't going to go along with such notions. I believe "people who bleed" is a nod to an infinitesimal number of transmen who haven't fully transitioned, or are we supposed to pretend recognise that transwomen could also bleed, as it seems such a state is all part of female privilege. Yeah all great! and the menopause well that's off the Richter Scale in the deep joy it's brought to many women's lives, speaking as a person who has had the privilege of enjoying the whole gamut of temperature surges, restless nights and brain fog hmm

Spinnaker Sat 24-Oct-20 14:31:11

Ah ok then - next time I cut my finger I'll stick a tampon on it confused smile

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 14:31:35

MawB2

Merchant of Venice Act 111 scene 1
“Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?“

But where do we bleed from and why? I don’t think my periods resulted from bring pricked. Neither were they blue btw but that’s another point.

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 14:32:34

Not this bleeding topic again......?

MissAdventure Sat 24-Oct-20 14:42:39

It's a stupid ad. Period. wink

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 14:45:55

MissAdventure

Tampax.
'For every bleeder'.

?
Wonderful!

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:02:20

Totally proving my point Suziewoozie which you seem to have missed.

kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:07:03

Well I won't be buying their woke product again!

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 15:16:22

My bleeds are well on their way out. I like that it's more honest about periods and also a bit more desensitising... We bleed, we are supposed to, no big deal.

The adverts with blue liquid get on my nerves. I'm not making a raspberry slush puppy in there.

maddyone Sat 24-Oct-20 15:30:35

I thought we had this discussion quite recently on Gransnet.
For the record I agree with GrannyGravy. You can call yourself whatever you like but hormones, surgery, in fact nothing at all will change your chromosomes.

paddyanne Sat 24-Oct-20 15:35:09

I have two young friends currently transitioning from female to male .I have no idea if they still bleed at this stage but I'd like to think someone with victim mentality isn't stirring up trouble for them .They just want to live their lives....please give this a rest ,they aren't any threat to you .Its not a decision made lightly ,keep your prejudice to yourself!
I do think the OP is overly obsessed with this subject,the world moves on accept it or be left behind .

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 15:45:38

"Technology has broken down. Organized religion has broken down. Cities have fallen and become ruins. The great plague has run through. The last heroes have disappeared. Evil held sway for a time, but has also since regressed. Time no longer runs on a fixed wheel. Things that once worked no longer do. Things that should no longer work continue to function. Oh Discordia!"

From The Dark Tower

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 16:36:34

Whilst transitioning females to males have the same objective as vice versa, there is nevertheless a difference. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any incidences of transmen presenting a problem or threat to other men in changing rooms/public toilets. Neither I imagine, if a transman were to enter the sporting arena would they make it impossible for a natal men ever to win in that field again.

Whilst the majority of transwomen will be mindful of any potential threat that a cynical minority of transwomen could present to women/girls in vulnerable spaces. Most of us here on GN on such a subject will be aware of the individual who goes by the name of Karen White. Furthermore, there is a very aggressive element in the transwomen lobby who are determined to fight (literally) any woman who goes against their ultimate aims, almost as it were to prove a point that they can trounce the desires of a majority of natal women to feel comfortable in what they have previously found to be safe havens. In some respects the overt aggression such people display, could be deemed as a characteristic more likely to be found in the male of the species.

I may be wrong but it appears that these battles go one way, men transitioning to women rather than the other way round, so yes Paddyanne I doubt whether the two young people. you know will be a threat to anyone. It isn't prejudice for women and girls to want to keep personal spaces such as changing rooms, toilets, women's refuges and prisons places where they may encounter, because it hasn't been unknown, to all intents and purposes a person who presents as a woman but has predatory male tendencies, hence my reference to Karen White.