Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone else hate the sound of lawnmowers?

(35 Posts)
polomint Sun 16-May-21 17:23:37

I'm sitting out in thexgarden and the peace is disturbed by these awful whiney lawnmowers. As soon as someone stops, another one starts up.
Gone are the days when to hear an old fashioned roller type mower was a calming, summery sound. The lovely wee clip clip noise, I found quite soothing. Don't get me started on the petrol driven ones as those are even worse.
Am I alone in being annoyed at the sound or do others not notice?

Puzzler61 Sun 16-May-21 17:28:11

I’m not annoyed Polomint.
We all like to mow our lawns and our area is neat because of that. It doesn’t go on for hours as our gardens are relatively small.

AGAA4 Sun 16-May-21 17:28:17

I don't particularly like the sound of mowers but people have to do their work in the garden.

Redhead56 Sun 16-May-21 17:33:46

My DH only said to me earlier why do our neighbours spend so long mowing when they only have a patch of lawn about four square meters!

Kate54 Sun 16-May-21 17:36:12

Don’t mind lawnmowers. Strimmers, on the other hand...

Spinnaker Sun 16-May-21 17:36:21

It's not the sound of the mowers but more the sound of the clanging, banging and smashing you can hear as they blithely mow over anything and everything in the garden ! grin

NotAGran55 Sun 16-May-21 17:37:10

I don’t mind mowers in the slightest , but dogs barking in gardens is another thing altogether!

kathsue Sun 16-May-21 17:39:14

My next door neighbour had a very noisy petrol mower but he used to apologise for the noise if I was around. He has a new one now which is much quieter.
I wouldn't complain about someone using a mower though. Live and let live.

polomint Sun 16-May-21 17:42:22

Oh no, I would never complain about someone mowingvtheir lawn. We all try to keep our gardens neat and tidy and a cut lawn makes such a difference. I just mean that I preferred the older lawnmowers to the new ones. The noise was gentler

Jaxjacky Sun 16-May-21 17:59:40

Not bothered, other neighbour noises are far more intrusive.

Kali2 Sun 16-May-21 18:03:50

Kate54

Don’t mind lawnmowers. Strimmers, on the other hand...

and the worst are leaf blowers!

timetogo2016 Sun 16-May-21 18:08:52

Give me a lawn mowers any day they are preferable to screaming out of control children.

Sara1954 Sun 16-May-21 19:26:30

My friend has just bought a cordless mower, he says it’s very quiet.

Puzzler61 Sun 16-May-21 19:28:29

I agree about the leaf blowers - ours roars like a lion. Unnecessarily loud - something for manufacturers to get to grips with.

Lucca Sun 16-May-21 19:29:00

Do you also hAte being called love or dear by shop assistants ?

Lollin Sun 16-May-21 19:55:15

Prefer sound made by lawn mowers to other intrusive noises. However, like redhead56 DH, I too am surprised by how long my neighbour takes mowing their patch. I can start after them and always finish before they do, but for me it’s always a job to hurry up and tick off grin

25Avalon Sun 16-May-21 20:35:47

Hand mowers aren’t always quiet either. I remember being woken at 7 on a Saturday morning by the sound of Dad mowing the the grass. Idk what the neighbours thought.

M0nica Sun 16-May-21 20:36:22

I find the sound quite soothing, bringing as it does, the sound of people outdoors, pottering around the gareden, going in for a cup of tea when finished. All the sounds of a summer day.

FlexibleFriend Sun 16-May-21 21:48:16

No I'm clearly quite a tolerant person, nothing much bothers me.

Gannygangan Sun 16-May-21 21:50:16

I've only been bothered by one lawn mower.

My lovely elderly neighbour would be up at 6.30 am, mowing his lawn, every Saturday for months/years.

He's since passed so I manage a lie-in after 25 years of bright and breezy Saturdays!

Callistemon Sun 16-May-21 22:08:55

I just think - oh good, here comes the lovely man who mows our weeds and strims the edges, making everything look tidy again even if the rest of the garden needs a good weeding.

overthehill Sun 16-May-21 23:12:57

Doesn't bother me, but someone we know who used to join us on camping trips hated it when the site stewards mowed the grass. She use to say "I'm on holiday I don't want to hear the mower" I pointed out that there was always someone on holiday at the site and she'd moan if the grass was long.

GrannyRose15 Mon 17-May-21 01:57:30

Wish everyone on my estate would get together and decide a time to mow their lawns. That way all the noise would be over at once and we could enjoy the peace and quiet of the garden.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-May-21 05:20:01

Given the chance I would love to be able to sit or work in the garden, but this bloomin’ year is so cold that I haven’t been able to do either, well certainly not sit, and only gardening on less windy and wet days.

But being retired I have 7 days a week to sit in peace in the garden, so don’t resent my neighbours cutting their lawn on their days off. But must say the contrast between noisy machines and peace and tranquility is huge.

nanna8 Mon 17-May-21 06:35:46

We hardly ever hear a lawnmower but there are mostly bush blocks here. We have a very small bit of a one at the front but it is only about 30'x10' and doesn't get mowed that often. About 6 inches high . I was thinking I hardly ever sit outside except when we are eating in the evening, just got out of the habit and then there's the mossies..