Gransnet forums

Chat

Tactless remarks.

(163 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:15:39

One of my sons inherited the handsome gene and always had a string of girlfriends. An unmarried older cousin was visiting and asked his brother 'what's it like to have such a good looking brother ?
Not finished there she then asked the other one 'what's it like to have such a clever brother?
Have you had any tactless incidents?

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 10:30:47

My friend at school asked me how I managed to have two such good looking brothers and I wasn't!

Coastpath Wed 08-Dec-21 10:34:17

When I showed my uncle my engagement ring he said, 'Well at least I suppose it didn't cost much'.

Or the time my dad said, 'You're not fat Coastpath, you're just dumpy.'

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:36:38

Too many to mention, the one I remember was when my boss was bemoaning her legs, I said that she wasn’t to worry as she had sturdy legs, she wasn’t impressed. ( but I was right!) however I emerged unscathed when I said that at least they reached the floor!

Sago Wed 08-Dec-21 10:36:53

My late mother…. Unbelievable!
Here’s the best!
I took my mother to see her GP, she was 88, he told her she was fine and not to worry, I said “I told you it was nothing you will probably outlive me.”
“I do hope so” was her reply?

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 10:40:29

Oh, so many!
An elderly man in a care home buzzed for help, and when I went in his room said "Oh, thank god it's you! I was worried it was going to be a dollybird".

Hellogirl1 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:44:50

Many years ago, the day after I met hubby at a dance, another girl asked about him. I said we were meeting that evening, she said "What on earth does he see in you?"

Blinko Wed 08-Dec-21 10:56:54

We had visited my brother and sis in law with my in-laws. B and SiL had just moved into a new home. On the way home MiL asked my OH and I, ‘Don’t you wish you could have a house like theirs?’ Tact just wasn’t her forte.

kircubbin2000 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:03:27

When my dad was in the nursing home with dementia a very large woman was brought in. As she approached the day room he said in a very loud voice, ' goodness they are going to have to take the door off to get this one in!'

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 11:04:51

When my ex and me went to his friends house so I could meet him for the first time (my ex was registered blind, and I had longish blonde hair)

He looked up and said "F* me! Its Peters and Lee!" grin

Kate1949 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:28:11

When I was in my 20s, I introduced a friend to my husband. Next time I saw her. She said 'Your husband's really handsome. I was surprised'.

kittylester Wed 08-Dec-21 11:38:35

An old family friend of my grandmother who I hadn't seen for a while - Oh, you look like your mother at your age - though not half a pretty.

Poppyred Wed 08-Dec-21 11:38:58

In my wedding reception when I had changed into my ‘going away outfit’ a friend of my mother said “oh you look lovely in that dress, why didn’t you wear that to get married in?” ???

Grandmadinosaur Wed 08-Dec-21 11:39:56

When we moved into our 3rd home and my mum came to see it she commented “Oh this is the best house you’ve had” obviously implying she didn’t really like the other two.

eazybee Wed 08-Dec-21 11:41:15

My first meal for friends after I was married: Best Man's wife: 'However did you manage to produce such a meal from such a tiny kitchen', followed by: 'what lovely glasses, who did you borrow them from'?

BlueSky Wed 08-Dec-21 11:41:15

Not me but a colleague who had two very pretty daughters: “Do they take after their dad?” shock

jaylucy Wed 08-Dec-21 11:47:00

I asked my ex husband, just after we got back from honeymoon how he thought I looked on our wedding day - did he think I had looked pretty? or even beautiful?
His reply ? "No, but your dress was nice!!"
Any surprise he's my ex????

fiorentina51 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:49:19

Collecting my 5 year old daughter from school one afternoon, another mum looked at her and said, "so she's YOUR daughter! But, she's so pretty?"
It was the "but" and the quizzical look that got me!

Greenfinch Wed 08-Dec-21 11:56:19

I was giving a lift to an old lady. My ten year old daughter was in the car. The old one said "how come you have such a pretty daughter ?"

glammanana Wed 08-Dec-21 11:57:45

My MIL asked me when she first saw my baby daughter "how did two such plain people produce such a beautiful baby"

Skydancer Wed 08-Dec-21 11:58:43

A friend said she'd pay me a flying visit because she knew I was going out. After a quick cup of tea she said, "Well I'll let you go now as you'll want to get changed to go out." I said, "I HAVE already changed to go out."

Greenfinch Wed 08-Dec-21 11:59:09

fiorentina just seen your post. This seems to be quite a common experience ?

Boz Wed 08-Dec-21 12:01:19

A friend asked if she could borrow some of my clothes for a "Vicars and Tarts" party and she didn't mean a dog-collar.

adrisco Wed 08-Dec-21 12:01:28

Headmistress of my son's infant school - "He's very bright - does he take after his father?".

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Dec-21 12:04:01

Late MIL was known for 'foot in mouth' and one of hers was a sideways swipe about quiet, little me to my husband about a lively, vivacious friend, "I wish you'd married someone like LVF instead of QLM!"