Chat

What You Look Like & What You Wear ?

(130 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 24-May-22 09:29:57

Hello!

Following on from Audi’s thread…

A poster asked ‘what should we wear?’
So is your answer?

It’s also left me really nosily wondering what posters look like.
Do you follow your ‘seasonal’ rules when it comes to colours?

And who would you like to look like?
Who are your style icons?

(And please don’t do yourself down!)
Thank you x

Candelle Tue 24-May-22 15:40:06

HowVeryDareYou and FannyCornforth, I am also allergic to nickel but was taught a great way round with regard to jewellery: paint the inside surface of whatever it is (can be links in a chain or the back of a pendant or watch) with clear nail varnish. Replenish perhaps annually.

I am allergic to my wedding and engagement rings but have happily worn them for rather too many years to remember, after using this trick. I do remove them overnight to let me stupid skin 'breathe' and haven't lost them yet...

MrsKen33 Tue 24-May-22 15:54:31

Tallish, thinish, with bobbed silver hair and glasses ( very short sighted) In the winter I wear straight cut cords and big jumpers or jeggings and tunics. In the summer, t shirts, ankle grazers and Birkenstocks. Very rarely skirts or dresses.

FlexibleFriend Tue 24-May-22 16:14:24

I wear mainly jeans and leggings with floaty tops. I never wear skirts or dresses. I never wear plain black on my top it makes me look funereal. I don't wear scarves apart from in winter. I don't have a style icon, I just wear what I like and feels comfortable.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 24-May-22 16:15:14

I am 5 feet 2 inches and a size 16. I used to be eight stone when I first married nearly 46 years ago, my hair is coloured brown - I think I would be completely grey by now if I didn’t! I wear a lot of navy and black tunics, often with a bright pattern. A recent purchase was a long teeshirt dress in a blue leopard skin pattern. I have lots of pairs of leggings in black, and one or two pairs in grey. In the sumner I wear sandals and in the winter Doc martens (and doc marten type) boots with socks. I haven’t worn tights since an aunt’s funeral several years ago. The small feet belong to my granddaughter!

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 16:29:41

Joseanne

Like so, in case anyone is wondering who the Dickens she is.

Yes, I like her style although it probably wouldn't suit me.
I like to guess where she's presenting from too ?

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 16:34:41

FannyCornforth

HowVeryDareYou I’m allergic to nickel too.
I don’t think that it’s allowed anymore in jewellery.
I’ve got tonnes of costume jewellery, and it’s all been fine

My mother was allergic to nickel too

Kathy72 Tue 24-May-22 16:54:02

I like the sound of your style Ladyleftfieldlover smile

HowVeryDareYou Tue 24-May-22 17:27:50

FannyCornforth I didn't know nickel wasn't in jewellery nowadays. Thanks, I'll have a look for some things.

Grandma70s Tue 24-May-22 17:45:14

I am tall and slim, which I suppose is an advantage, but I am rather disabled now and have lost most of my natural grace. I can’t stand up straight any more. I did ballet from the ages of nine to fifteen, so had good posture once. I would be bitter about this if I allowed myself to be. (I am a bit.)

I am quite lucky with my hair, which at the age of 82 is still brown. There is a bit of white underneath, but it only shows when the wind blows. My younger son (47) says he is more grey than I am, which is true. As you can imagine, he is not pleased! Of course, people tend to think my hair is dyed, but it isn’t. If I had gone grey young I would have dyed it, like my sister-in-law who went grey in her early thirties. I wear my hair just below my ears, with a fringe. I’ve had a fringe since I was twelve (when my plaits were cut off).

I usually wear dark trousers (not jeans), with a bright coloured blouse top. I have to wear flat shoes, but even when I was young I never wore high heels. I think they look ridiculous. Why would you wear something that prevents proper walking? I never wear dresses or skirts now, but I would if I could move normally.

Blossoming Tue 24-May-22 17:50:31

I’m short and pleasantly plump ?

I’m very pale skinned, I don’t tan. dark eyed but usually hidden behind dark glasses due to visual impairment. When I was younger I had very dark hair and my style icons were Mortician Adams and Neme.

As my hair started to fade I had highlights in various shades to brighten it up and I began to wear more earth tones.

I had to let it go feral during lockdown and shielding, Now it’s a lovely silvery grey, still thick and shiny. Black looks awful on me now and so do many pastels. I love blues, berry and jewel tones. I can’t wear big bold patterns and I love polka dots.

The late Jean Muir was a big advocate of navy and it can be accented with almost any colour. Navy looks good with lime green.

My mobility impairments dictate my footwear choices.

grannypiper Tue 24-May-22 18:00:09

Short and Grey sums me up. If at home it is old t shirt/ jumper/ barbour jacket depending on the weather. Footwear is wellies. Out and about it is jeggings and tunics. Comfort always comes first.

JaneJudge Tue 24-May-22 18:03:46

I don't know if I have a style icon smile

But I am not afraid of wearing colour, especially on my legs grin I love pattern and I am a hippy at heart

Kathy72 Tue 24-May-22 18:28:22

Interesting article on style by Lyn Slater (The Accidental Icon’

For me clothing is not just something you buy or wear, you inhabit it and it is both an individual and cultural expression. I am fascinated by the thinking of designers and became very involved with Japanese designers because of how they challenged conventional thoughts about “pretty” and how they relate to the historical times that shape them. What do clothes say about the state (or not) of social welfare?

Kathy72 Tue 24-May-22 18:28:48

40plusstyle.com/how-to-stay-true-to-yourself-and-not-become-invisible-a-style-interview-with-lyn/

Cherrytree59 Tue 24-May-22 18:32:42

FannyC I'm very boring.
Jean person in the main.
Sometimes think I was born in a pair of jeans .
Top usually plain with gillet.

Going out casual blouse, jeans (various colours and styles)
Short jackets of which I have several (Seasonal)

Gym clothes I always buy new .
However love shopping for a bargain in charity shops for jackets and blouses.
Wardrobe full of dresses that never really see the light of day.

My daily life revolves mostly around my grandsons either school pick ups, sleep overs or visiting parks, castles etc, so casual way of life.
Or going to the gym in leggings etc.

I also decided during lockdown that I am partial to harem trousers.
Very cool in summer and ideal for yoga .
Quite like the hippie vibe.

Hobbies are also outdoor.

Br4ve Tue 24-May-22 18:32:55

With age I have decided to wear brighter colours a bit more frequently. I've got slightly olive skin, and now that I have been embracing grey hair, I find that wearing something colourful makes me look less washed out than neutral or dark colours do.
Style icon...I like certain looks but no icon as yet!

Cherrytree59 Tue 24-May-22 18:38:38

Oops forgot
5'7"
12 ( was 16 lost weight in lockdown)
Blonde highlights.
Pale with the Celtic blue tinge in winter.
Also permanent swollen ankle due operation.
And nice blue veins on the same leg .?

Blossoming Tue 24-May-22 18:39:55

I swear I typed Morticia Adams and Nemi! Thanks autocorrect.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 19:40:33

I'm getting lots of adverts showing very unsuitable clothes now!

Marydoll Tue 24-May-22 20:27:43

GrannyGravy13

I wear long dresses in the summer, usually from White Company or Boden and normally with flat sandals or white trainers. Always have a denim jacket or a cashmere wrap to hand (even when in hot countries as air conditioning can be fierce). Not sure who my style icon is?

In the cooler weather it’s skinny jeans and tops or just above the knee dresses with opaque tights and flat pixie boots.

If we are going out (car to bar) the high heels come out.

We have similar styles, GrannyGravy . However, I think you may look better than I do, for I am a dumpy, wee woman!
I also like clothes from Sandwich, which I buy at a discount from Otrium.
I love colour, used to wear a lot of black when working, but it doesn't really suit me now.
I have recently been buying Moda in Pelle flats for when I am not in trainers.

You will never see me without earrings and a ring on my right hand. I love wearing jewellery and if I don't have something suitable for what I am wearing, I make it from my stash.

My natural red hair is fading, people complement me on my highlights. I tell them, they cost me nothing! However, I find I can now wear colours, I couldn't previously wear, when my hair was carrot orange.

Serendipity22 Tue 24-May-22 20:57:58

I don't wear anything floral, don't particularly like flowers. I wear a lot of black, navy. I have ventured into pale pink, I have dark hair so the paler pink suits me better. I like animal print but not too much, dont want to resemble Bet Lynch.

I'd say I'm definitely plain clothing opposed to patterned and definitely co-ordinate, in winter I wear a coloured scarf to break up the black or navy.

Colour co-ordination is paramount to me, stylish.

I wear necklaces to compliment, not long necklaces, always one's similar to 'chockers' but not quite as tight round my neck.

If someone said "Put your old clothes on to help me paint." I would have to dash out to the charity shop to purchase 'old clothes' because I don't possess any.

smileconfusedsmileconfusedsmileconfused

Blossoming Tue 24-May-22 21:08:16

Nobody has mentioned Crocs yet grin

Serendipity22 Tue 24-May-22 21:20:48

Blossoming

Nobody has mentioned Crocs yet grin

Ohhh heck! Wouldn't be seen dead in them....

shock

Blossoming Tue 24-May-22 21:26:15

Me either but they have a lot of fans.

Audi10 Tue 24-May-22 21:36:42

Wouldn’t be seen dead in crocs either serendipity! Your style sounds very similar to mine! Don’t like floral, more into plain colours mainly blush pink light blue, silver grey , ivory, in winter I’m in black, royal blue . Burgrundy! Love animal print mainly in tops and not trousers! I tend to colour coordinate all my clothes! Worked in retail all my working life mainly fashion and make up! Wear jewellery and watch everyday! I don’t own any old clothes either!