Gransnet forums

Chat

?The Argy Re-Opens - Lubbly Jubbly Celebrations!? ?

(191 Posts)
ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 07:50:54

Back by popular request (thank you, both), the Argy Bar is opening for a festive four days.

Calling all the furloughed supporters-
Poteen makers
Pasty providers
Llama keepers

Inviting -
Anyone who can cook for our buffet . Doodle has been volunteered to knock up a dozen Platinum Jubilee Trifles
All crafty GNetters, for bunting, flags, rugs if it's cold.
People with, er, special talents.

Corgis encouraged , and HM doubles especially welcome.

Do join us - bring your contributions nearest and dearest (we won't tell) and help make this a celebration Pigs Trotter Alley won't forget in a hurry.

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Jun-22 09:07:13

Thanks ixion
I’m here. Early doors.
I’ve always favoured a lunch time booze up.

I’m not really all that au fait with The Argy and it’s finer points;
but I do have had past experience with Doodle’s llamas.
(I’m good with animals)

You lot tell me what’s what, and I’m happy to muck in (or out) !
????

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 09:19:16

Thanks Fanny and welcome.
I think there's only you and me as early risers - prolly 'cos all the others are avoiding the grotty jobs. That's why we've got the lavs and the llamas on our list?
The Bar needs a bit of freshening up, if you don't mind. Just ignore the cellar and any, er, dodgy sounds emanating therefrom. And the gross rather large gent in the chair emitting noises, and worse, that's the Admiral. An old hand.
As it were.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Jun-22 09:26:32

I will give the loos a good going over, I have got my own haz-mat suit and industrial rubber gloves.

I got a job lot of bleach and disinfectant from a rather tall Nordic looking chap at the height of Covid, I am sure it’s still in date…

Mapleleaf Thu 02-Jun-22 09:29:03

Yay, I’ll bring the bratwurst and beer along later. Oh and some more bleach - we might need it.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 02-Jun-22 09:29:11

Thank you for your invitation. I plan to arrive after the loos have been cleaned, but I think that you will welcome my contributions of a jug of Pimms and some charcoal tablets for the Admiral.

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 09:46:24

GrannyGravy13

I will give the loos a good going over, I have got my own haz-mat suit and industrial rubber gloves.

I got a job lot of bleach and disinfectant from a rather tall Nordic looking chap at the height of Covid, I am sure it’s still in date…

Always considerate, our Team, GrannyGravy13.
Delighted to see he comes prepared with suitable protection ?

BigBertha1 Thu 02-Jun-22 09:50:42

Can I come in?? I'm cooking a Xmas dinner tomorrow - anyone fancy the leftovers??

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Jun-22 09:58:24

Ooh Aah, BigBertha1 some bubble and squeak would go down a treat, but not for The Major he squeaks enough as it is…

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:18:55

Thank you Ixion I’m here at last with some …friends. Ooh out the way… let me through. I found these ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️ (Ok I captured them) and brought them along to join the festivities. Baggs me the one with the big ..sword.
Right where’s AGA and the poteen.
The llamas are getting in their full regalia. Alarma thinks this is all for her.

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:21:01

Bigbertha will you help me put the bunting up.
ixion you’ve got the place looking spotless. I’ve never seen the sawdust looking so clean

LauraNorderr Thu 02-Jun-22 11:27:39

As the official namer of Alarma I shall ride in on her back. I have shaved my head in readiness as I was told by ixion that I must wear bare skin on my head.
My contribution to the buffet will be a lemon flavoured cockroach trifle.
Will arrive once the sun has passed the yard arm, no point in arriving earlier.
Oh no, just realised rules don’t apply in the Argy, give me a minute to pin on the medals and I’ll be right there.

LauraNorderr Thu 02-Jun-22 11:29:32

Trust you Doodle to get the one with the biggest …sword.

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 11:30:16

Thanks Doodle - good to see a Veteran pitch up after the cleaning is all finished.
Did you bring those trifles? Was thinking, just the dozen for today and we can review later before you commit yourself to twelve a day for the 4 days.

I wonder if our L and L ? will detour and drop by? ?
Can you stand by for Guided Tours of the environs if any Newbies brave the invitation? ?

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 11:37:47

I think we have the makings of our first side-show entertainment.
Pin the medals on our Laura. But, please put your liberty bodice back at least. Otherwise, no one will wear the blindfold.
Are we going to have our own beacon tonight? ?

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:44:11

Yes no point in turning up before all the works done too early .
Yes ready for guided tour of the cellar and the golden loo.
Good job Grannygravy
Laura you look ….amazing. I expect Alarma will behave for you she’s always been a bit in awe of you.
Fanny welcome. Notes to be aware of. The Admiral and Captain. Not to be trusted with anything.
Our bar staff Sven, Thor and Bjorn here to do your bidding……….. speciality of the day is Jubilee poteen guaranteed to knock your socks off ?

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:45:03

Ixion brilliant idea I will get the ?‍♀️?‍♀️ To build it.

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:53:05

I’ve got some of the ?‍♀️Outside to add a bit of class.
Corgi cake as our centrepiece
P.S the ?‍♀️ Have told me all their mates from the parade are coming here later ?.

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 11:54:18

Getting a good crowd in.

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 12:21:39

Heeelp!
Word's obviously got around that corgis are 'encouraged'?
We'll run a Best in Show competition for them on Saturday.

Fanny - you're good with animals, you say.
Can you corral them into the field next to the llamas and keep them occupied for a couple of days, please? No idea what they eat - try BP Catering Dept. They'll know.

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 12:31:49

Anyone brought any dog food ?

Pantglas2 Thu 02-Jun-22 12:41:56

Ooh Doodle you minx! I’m sposed to ave the bestest ? swordsman...on cownt that I’m bolder older than you!
I’ve gotten a Stiffgit ? mounted in my bedroom what says so...

Anyway I’ve bought along some Jubilee clips and tags for all the Elf nSafety paperwork ?which I’m sure has all been checked...?‍♀️ and shall be along shortly with the specified fireworks ? ? ? which don’t light or bang in accordance with said regulations!

ixion Thu 02-Jun-22 12:55:02

Pantglas2

Ooh Doodle you minx! I’m sposed to ave the bestest ? swordsman...on cownt that I’m bolder older than you!
I’ve gotten a Stiffgit ? mounted in my bedroom what says so...

Anyway I’ve bought along some Jubilee clips and tags for all the Elf nSafety paperwork ?which I’m sure has all been checked...?‍♀️ and shall be along shortly with the specified fireworks ? ? ? which don’t light or bang in accordance with said regulations!

Blimey - that'll be a blast?

Doodle Thu 02-Jun-22 14:10:57

Ah Pants I wondered if you’d pop in… (silly me, as soon as I mentioned the guardsmen I knew you’d be here). Yes I’ve got the one with the biggest sword….you can have the one with the big bugle …I’ve heard tales of his prowess, he’s a good musician too I understand.
Wow fireworks too. Ooh thank you. You always did enjoy a good banger ?

CherryCezzy Thu 02-Jun-22 14:25:25

Hello all ?. One time frequenter of the Alphabet bar here. I've only been in the Argy once but I thought I'd join in a little of thedrunken merriment today.
I see Pantglas has provided some non firing fireworks confused so I've brought some sparklers which the Admiral has assured me are Elf n Safety compliant hmm. They are colourful, they're claret & blue Ixion. I hope I'm not going to be barred before I've found a nice patch of sawdust to stand on I won't be patted down to check whether I'm smuggling anything in will I since I have secreted my trusty hip flask about my person ?
Doodle I hope you and Pantglas don't end up squabbling having clutchbags at dawn ⚔️ over a swordman! My advice ... drink plenty of poteen and they'll all be equally handsome and gorgeous ?
Party hippies ? Party ?