Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 8th August 2022

(45 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 08-Aug-22 05:55:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its the start of another warm day here in brackley this morning.
A quiet day and a essential shop early .
Looking like a week of warm weather for all , which can be uncomfortable at times .
Take Care,
Mick
PS my Warners trip last week , they have gone contactless on purchasing within any of there complexes

Pantglas2 Mon 08-Aug-22 06:10:07

Good morning Mick from lovely warm north Wales- glad you enjoyed your gallivant - when’s the next one??

I’m up with sparrowfart enjoying the ☕️ as we have our newest friends arriving for a Welsh welcome on their way home to Herts from the Lake District - I’ve been baking, buying ? and wine and bottoming PG Towers ? in their honour (little do they know, it’s just a shack near the beach….?‍♀️)

Those plums looked lovely grandmattie I’m awaiting a delivery of damsons tomorrow- so fiddly removing the stones when jamming but I can’t turn down a freebie….?

Have a good day x

grandMattie Mon 08-Aug-22 06:10:56

Good morning from a sunny E Kent. The temperature is still tolerable but I woke up very early because I was so ? hot !
Had quite a productive day yesterday. I sorted a refund of DH’s ISAs and Premium Bonds, made a large pot I’d home baked beans. I am freezing most of it. I’m trying to sort out DH’s clothes and clearing my own cupboard. Not a very easy job, is it?
Today, I’ve got the cleaner and the gardener. I’m also going to walk around Walmer Castle gardens with my lovely Spanish teacher.. I hope there is something left. They had a wonderful herbaceous border the last time I went, many years ago.
All the best to those in sick bay, obey orders and rest! Carpe diem ?????

grandMattie Mon 08-Aug-22 06:13:43

Pant, when I used to make tons of damson jam, I’d leave the stones in and skim them off just before potting. I assume you mash them well once cooked, before the sugar.

BlueBalou Mon 08-Aug-22 06:24:42

Good morning everyone from a sunny corner of Wiltshire, a quiet day here, thankfully.
I’d hoped to pick Mirabelle plums from a tree close by but they’ve all gone ☹️, never mind, better luck next year.
I am relishing the thoughts of a quiet few weeks, apart from the WI summer lunch tomorrow I have very little planned. I need to clear the craft room for decorating before the new carpets - it needs a good destashing so that will keep me occupied!
I hope you all have a peaceful week x

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 08-Aug-22 06:34:31

Morning all from what may become a warm West Oxfordshire. I will be up soon. The decorators will be here again! I must post my son’s birthday present today as well as my brother in law’s. He lives in Australia so I allow several weeks, even using air Mail! I might do a Waitrose shop and take some books back to the library. My friend over the road has her monthly Craft afternoon so I will pop over to that and take some chocolate cake. Our gardener is supposed to be coming tomorrow but she let us know that it may be too hot. Also tomorrow I am supposed to be meeting my friend for lunch who has melt downs in restaurants. I may put her off for a couple of weeks.

cornergran Mon 08-Aug-22 06:43:03

Morning Mick, morning All from a clear corner of Somerset.

A gentle day yesterday, a few little jobs, a sit in the garden and a nice phone chat with our daughter in law who gave some pointers about Mr C’s cardiac appointment later in the week. With congenital heart issues she’s sadly well acquainted with the hospital.

Suspect today will focus around plumbers in our neighbours home and updates from our goddaughter. In between I have some admin to do, must also feed the washing machine, goodness knows how two people create so much laundry.

Take care everyone. Special thoughts to all finding life hard going, hope Monday is kind to us all. .

Greyduster Mon 08-Aug-22 06:52:30

Good morning Michael and all GNs from sunny South Yorkshire where I am just having my morning sneezing session. Inside window cleaning on my agenda today before the sun moves round the back. I picked and froze a couple of pounds of blackberries yesterday but they seem to be small this year so I had to work hard and risk life and limb for the best ones. DH was always good at getting at the tops of the bushes. Foraging was something he enjoyed. I’ll probably rope GS in to pick some more before they go over. Bribery may have to be involved though!
Have a good day folks.

Marydoll Mon 08-Aug-22 06:57:22

Good morning all from Glasgow, where its 12 C, with cloudy skies, to quote Alexa. How does she actually know, she is a device, not a person!

I have nothing to report, my life has becoming increasingly boring and uneventful recently.
DH is golfing, so I shall make the best of the situation and cull the coats in the porch cupboard in peace, with no golf clubs to hinder me! I just hope that no-one comes to the door, I won't be able to open it! ?

We are doing a charity shop run tomorrow, so I'm trying to get rid of as much as possible as yet another stage of my Swedish death clean, I find it really cathartic! (and you ever know what you will find!)
DH has agreed to accompany me, I can't really carry much nowadays and often am unable to get parked near the shop,
I badly need bags of compost, to fill my new planters and he is a willing workhorse!
Gosh, I used to think nothing of humping huge bags of compost about.

Wishing you all the best of Mondays and keeping all who are struggling in my thoughtscand prayers.?

Grandmadinosaur Mon 08-Aug-22 06:59:57

Good morning all from East Yorkshire it is bright and 13 degrees.

Yesterday was a very pleasant day. Despite not feeling too good when I first got up I had a visit from the family. Delighful medicine indeed. Both the GC seem to have grown in a fortnight since we last saw them and you can see a bond developing between them. After that DH and I went out for lunch to my favourite fish restaurant. I had swordfish and DH was a bit adventurous (for him) and tried schricha (sp) monkfish. I’d urged him to try this there before as he usually just has fish and chips. He really enjoyed it so glad he took my advice! I’m always right ha ha.

No plans for today apart from changing and washing bedding but I will find plenty to fill my time.

Take care everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Aug-22 07:08:37

Morning Muck and all

A glorious morning here in S E Essex and a hot week is forecast. I am off with DD and the GSs for a few days. A holiday lodge by the beach, kids club, lots of swimming and no doubt running around in playgrounds will be on the cards ???

Will catch up when I get home

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

Jaxjacky Mon 08-Aug-22 07:11:47

Good morning from sunny S Hants, tedious now. Bed stripped ready for washing, no problem with drying outside.
We played bowls for over 2 hours yesterday, it was very warm at about 26/27, straight home in a cool shower.
Bit of food shopping today and some token cleaning.
My daughter and the grandchildren are off to Weymouth for a few days, seaside is the place to be.
Enjoy your day all ??

Urmstongran Mon 08-Aug-22 07:29:02

No Matt. I’m half expecting him back tomorrow.

Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have wall to wall sunshine. It looks a bit misty over the Mediterranean but I dare say that’ll burn away later.

The door to the gardens opens at 10am and the Boy Wonder & L’il Miss will be raring to get into the pool as soon as! Cesar the gardener is busy down there already, straightening up the loungers under the parasols.

Himself is joyous the grandchildren are here, says it’s his best fortnight of the year. Aw. He takes them into Juan’s every lunch - inside where it has air con, they all choose what they fancy, usually pinchitos de pollo for the children (marinaded chicken skewers from the chilled tapas counter) they love them. We don’t see them for a good hour and a half and the parents get a complete rest in the middle of the day which they are grateful for - as our daughter has been heard to say “I can’t find the ‘off’ button for L’il Miss”!

Himself has just reminded me the decorator comes today at home, our lovely neighbour will pass him a key. Also he’s just checked our electricity account on line (told you he’s a busy person) as he sent a meter reading over before we left and we are £100 in credit apparently. Just as well - it’s still only summer yet!

BlueSapphire Mon 08-Aug-22 07:30:24

Good morning everyone from another bright and sunny sunshine day in Northampton.

Not much planned but Iust run the vacuum cleaner over the bedrooms - am seriously thinking of new carpet for the largest spare bedroom if I can get someone to dismantle and move the bed and other furniture, but it can wait till after my holiday.

Another lazy afternoon ahead, out in the garden reading, and then the watering.

Have a pleasant Monday everyone.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Aug-22 07:34:54

* the Boy Wonder said yesterday when he waved to Cesar, ‘do you remember grandma when I was little I used to call Cesar ‘scissors’?” I’d forgotten. Lovely memory. ? ?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Aug-22 07:39:38

Himself has just reminded me that we all get £400 from the government in October towards our bills ... necesario!

brook2704 Mon 08-Aug-22 07:40:36

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s clear blue sky and warm, another hot day forecast
Enjoy your walk today gMattie and hope you get to practice your Spanish
Think we’re off to Anglesey Abbey, one of the local NT properties today, I’ll be the one looking for the shade near the childrens playground!
For everyone on holiday have a really lovely time and enjoy the weather ? Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and care all whatever the day brings ?

Gingster Mon 08-Aug-22 07:42:37

Good morning all and yes it’s warming up here in Essex. I’m thinking of moving to Scotland! The weather would suit me better. ?.

Yesterday DS1 and DIL popped in for a cuppa and we had a long chat without the teenage girls . They only sit there on their phones looking bored with their parents constantly telling them to put them away, so it was nice to converse and catch up with everyone’s ‘doings’. (Grumpy granny)! ☹️.

Today I have my Chimes group. Haven’t been for a while as I’ve been in Suffolk, so it will be fun to ding-a-ling-along with the others. Coffee and cake afterwards and back home to finish my book.

I belong to 2 book clubs and the choices very rarely hold my interest. My good friend often recommends a book that I enjoy so I read that instead. I stay with the clubs as a challenge! ?, but might give at least one of them the elbow. ?‍♀️.

GG enjoy your few days away. You’ll certainly have the weather for it. ?.

I picked some blackberries yesterday - just enough for a crumble. DH doesn’t like the pips.

Enjoy the day ?

Stilllearning Mon 08-Aug-22 07:45:10

A sunny good morning from Ripley, near Harrogate. I travelled down early yesterday with my sister and BiL to meet our other sister and BiL who came up from Corby. We haven’t seen her for nearly three years although thanks to FaceTime that’s not been as bad as it might have been. It’s just lovely to be together again! And in the sunshine??!

More talking and walking today and probably more champagne, such a happy time.

Wishing everyone the best of days and of course remembering those needing support ???

ginny Mon 08-Aug-22 07:47:25

Good morning from sunny N. Bucks.
Had to go to the hospital yesterday morning as my hand was more swollen and painful. They couldn’t work out what was causing it. No trauma or infection. Sent me home with strong painkillers and told to return if no better in 48 hours .
It seems a little less swollen this morning and the painkiller are a great help. It’s quiet a game to get dressed with only one hand in working order !

Anyway, not much planned for today except my n line drawing class this evening. Luckily I am right handed and it is my left that is out of action.

Wishing all a good day with a smile along the way.

baubles Mon 08-Aug-22 08:13:58

Good morning all from sunny South Lanarkshire.

Seeing the sunshine this morning has lifted my spirits, the incessant rain was really getting me down. My mood can be so affected by the weather.

A trip to M&S food hall to pick up some nice things to eat is on this morning’s agenda followed by an afternoon reading in the garden. Bliss.

Have a wonderful time with your family Stilllearning.

Have the best day possible everyone. ??

Pittcity Mon 08-Aug-22 08:18:56

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Default hot and dry weather.
Popping into the City centre to pick up a few bits and bobs and might browse the sales as the Summer clothes that I didn't cull in the spring are getting so much wear that some might not last until the cooler days arrive. I'm washing and wearing the same few things and have even booked a holiday apartment with a washing machine for the end of September in case I don't have a wearable week's worth to take.
Will have yesterday's leftover pork in a curry tonight.
Love to all ?x

Georgesgran Mon 08-Aug-22 08:25:32

Good morning from Durham. The blue skies and sunshine have returned - lovely. The start of another busy week, after a very quiet weekend. Off to a garden centre soon for coffee with a friend, then must call and see another friend on my way home.
gM I admire your energy, I still have all DH’s clothes to go through - he kept his (lots) in different rooms from mine, so they’re a bit ‘out of sight, etc’ plus the DDs want some items, to have teddy bears made for their little ones. I must get them to choose, then I’ve no excuse.
Urms - remember our £400 will come as installments from October, not a lump sum. I’m coming out your way in a couple of weeks with DD2, so I hope that weather holds.

Hope everyone has a good day and congratulations to NT on the safe arrival of Fergus.

Ashcombe Mon 08-Aug-22 08:25:52

Good morning on another sunny day in Torbay.

We enjoyed a more restful day yesterday ahead of the opening tonight of ‘Allo, ‘Allo. The play runs for a fortnight, so we shall have clocked up 13 performances in total! It is selling fairly well and, after a few shows, we hope audience recommendation will sell more tickets. Sadly, our numbers are not yet at pre Covid levels.

Enjoy those lovely family times and kind thoughts to those in need. ?????

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 08-Aug-22 08:34:02

Good morning from a sunny Oxfordshire.

Mick contactless yes, but did you notice how many hundred people went into the theatre in the evenings? At Beambridge it was packed out, no masks, waiters moving amongst the crowds with drinks. We didn’t bother!

Dog sitting this week and 2 deaths in the family last week, so not a very happy time at the moment.

Anyway I will read the other posts later as I have some phone calls to make.

Hope everyone has a good day.