Gransnet forums

Chat

Rinsing washing up

(51 Posts)
pen50 Fri 29-Mar-24 13:50:03

I am a rinser, my husband not. My mother didn't either, except glasses. It seems to me to be quite reasonable to rinse, and I wondered whether, when detergents replaced soap - in the fifties? - there was an advertising campaign saying, no need to rinse. Can any Gransnetters remember the Time of Transition and enlighten me?

TinSoldier Fri 29-Mar-24 15:34:26

Washing up liquids contain a lot of chemicals. Most have low toxicity. One that is worrying is Methylisothiazolinone which has moderate acute toxicity by oral and inhalation routes but is highly acutely toxic when applied to the skin or eyes and is considered to be corrosive.

Look up Fairy Liquid on a retail site and it says: Causes serious eye irritation. Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. Keep out of reach of children. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Contains Methylisothiazolinone. May produce an allergic reaction.

Seems sensible to always wear gloves and/or rinse both dishes, gloves and hands thoroughly afterwards.

Mel1967 Fri 29-Mar-24 15:37:04

I don’t have to worry I’ve got a dishwasher

Scribbles Fri 29-Mar-24 15:48:19

I rinse anything that I handwash because I don't want the horrible chemical perfume of washing up liquids clinging to my glassware and utensils.

pascal30 Fri 29-Mar-24 15:50:14

I always rinse ... and leave things to dry

MissAdventure Fri 29-Mar-24 15:56:21

Depends how domesticated I feel at the time.
(So, rarely)

Calendargirl Fri 29-Mar-24 16:02:04

Never rinse anything. We’re still here.

M0nica Fri 29-Mar-24 16:06:50

Scribbles

I rinse anything that I handwash because I don't want the horrible chemical perfume of washing up liquids clinging to my glassware and utensils.

I have never had that happen when hand washing. Nowadaya I have a dishwasher.

I m a non-rincer.

Callistemon21 Fri 29-Mar-24 16:13:59

I rinse if I hand wash.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Mar-24 16:15:15

My little counter tip dishwasher has a fruit washing cycle on it.

I can't imagine ever using it

MissAdventure Fri 29-Mar-24 16:15:41

Tip top!!! Top.

biglouis Fri 29-Mar-24 16:22:16

I dont rinse anything except glasses. My cleaner rinses dishes.

NittWitt Fri 29-Mar-24 16:43:06

Do you mean before and/or after washing up?
An expert on the Radio 4 prog Sliced Bread recommends both, if you handwash, and none if you use a dishwasher.
Just scrape bits of food off first.

I usually give a quick rinse to everything so that the smears aren't solid when I come to do the dishes (which isn't usually immediately).

BlueBelle Fri 29-Mar-24 16:49:36

Nah I don’t rinse

Dickens Fri 29-Mar-24 16:56:09

To me it would be like taking a shower and not rinsing of the soapy liquid.

I believe those lovely petrochemicals in washing-up liquid need to be rinsed off. And, by the end of the washing up, the bowl will still contain some minute particles of food in the soapy residue.

... though I wouldn't get stressed about the odd piece of china that hadn't been rinsed.

But I realise, it's not a British 'thing' do do this.

Patsy70 Fri 29-Mar-24 16:58:44

I’m a rinser when washing by hand, then leave to drain. Most stuff goes in the dishwasher.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 29-Mar-24 17:27:57

Always rinse if washing by hand and don't use rinse aid in the dishwasher.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 29-Mar-24 17:28:27

Just reread that post and it looks like a command, but it isn't - just what I do!

Desdemona Fri 29-Mar-24 17:36:04

I am a rinser!

Doodledog Fri 29-Mar-24 17:59:11

No, I don't. The dishwasher does, but anything that doesn't go in there is dried without rinsing - I find things dry better that way. Mr D usually washes up (as I usually cook), and he most definitely doesn't rinse grin.

JamesandJon33 Fri 29-Mar-24 18:01:31

Never rinse anything. The dishwasher does all that

AreWeThereYet Fri 29-Mar-24 18:32:18

I always rinse after washing up. And I don't think I would put any faith in anything said during an ad campaign from any era.

Caleo Fri 29-Mar-24 18:42:49

The used water in the washing up bowl gets rinsed off each dish and I have a clean dish towel every day too.

AGAA4 Fri 29-Mar-24 19:44:46

I always rinse. My DB worked as a chemist in the petro chemical industry and said if people knew what was in washing up liquid they would always rinse. He called it gut rot.

twiglet77 Fri 29-Mar-24 20:41:44

I can’t imagine drying my hands or my hair or my laundry without first rinsing them, it wouldn’t occur to me to NOT rinse anything that I’ve washed.