Gransnet forums

Christmas

Turkey or not?

(54 Posts)
granoffour Wed 22-Nov-17 14:57:35

I think I might be finally be getting my husband round to the idea of not doing a turkey this year. But I think if I come up with a reasonable alternative that might be the best thing. Any ideas? I hate cooking turkey...

callgirl1 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:03:48

We used to have a 12lb turkey for the 3 of us, but now it`s just my daughter and me, it`s a smaller turkey. But in case it`s not enough for the 2 days, I`m getting a small piece of lamb as well. A few years ago, I decided to have a fresh turkey for a change, everyone said they were better and we`d always had frozen ones. I ordered it from the butcher, went to collect it on Christmas Eve, and nearly dropped through the floor when he told me the price! AND it didn`t taste any better, so back to frozen after that.

ginny Wed 29-Nov-17 22:18:56

With between 8 - 10 of us for a few days we have a 10 kg turkey and nothing goes to waste. Also a gammon. Suggestions of anything else are met with horror .

annodomini Wed 29-Nov-17 23:18:50

*Hilly, thanks for the tip off about Lidl's veggie wellington. I will drop in there tomorrow and 'test drive' it before Christmas.