Gransnet forums

Christmas

Advent calendars gone awol

(54 Posts)
MoBrown Thu 23-Nov-17 12:52:12

Last year I bought each of my 5 grandchildren a chocolate advent calendar. However, when I went to my daughter's house in mid-December I noticed the three I'd bought for my granddaughters weren't anyway to be found (and the eldest confirmed they'd had no chocolate calendars - I asked in a roundabout way so she didn't realise I'd given them to her mum). My DD obviously decided not to give them to the girls but not told me. sad I didn't say anything but yesterday I almost bought a few calendars for when I see them this weekend but realised when I got to the till that they would probably also do a disappearing act. I can't give to one set of grandchildren and not the others though? It's just a small chocolate per day - surely that's not an uncalled for treat at this time of the year?

SueDonim Tue 13-Nov-18 16:53:05

I never buy chocolate advent calendars for anyone. I don't think anyone needs a treat every day until 24th December then a pile of presents on 25th.

I buy traditional calendars, which are widely available from John Lewis, WH Smith's, charity shops, many garden centres and online from (of course) Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/s/?hvlocphy=1007385&hvptwo&hvnetw=g&keywords=traditional+advent+calendars&hvadid=296351734744&index=aps&hvpone&ref=pd_sl_u8p1hjt35_e_p45&hvlocint&hvpos=1t1&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt=e&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&hvtargid=kwd-319537593012&adgrpid=61885150729&hvrand=10384781280489170075 and others. www.traditionaladventcalendars.co.uk/advent-calendars.html?limit=all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3J6rn-nR3gIVzLHtCh1YiAuqEAAYAiAAEgJDvPD_BwE

Telly Tue 13-Nov-18 19:38:48

Ask her! I often pass something by my AC when I am not sure of approval. Sometimes get it wrong but usually get past the check point. Just say - thinking of getting a chocolate Advent Calendar, this year, what do you think? This year I have bought beauty calendars, make up, and jelly beans! The more expensive ones are doubling up as birthday presents. In the more recent past I have bought stationary calendars eg. Smiggle or Tinc. They are more expensive, no chocolate involved.

NanaElla Thu 15-Nov-18 15:16:46

Hi MoBrown, what about making an advent calendar with ideas for what the granddaughters could do with her or you each day, like activities, e.g. decorate the tree, make christmas decorations, make mince pies, etc. Ideas would depend on their ages but if you're interested I can try and come up with some more ideas