Gransnet forums

Christmas

My 10 year old and Father Christmas

(95 Posts)
Lisalou Mon 27-Nov-17 07:35:16

Dear wise ladies!

I need advice. I have been expecting DD2 to cotton on (be told by school mates) that Father Christmas is not real. (Perish the thought, I believe in him)
My other two reacted by a) crying, being furious and announcing that Christmas was ruined (DD1) or b) taking it in stride and throwing himself into making it special for then baby sister (DS)
This one is made of sterner stuff - she told me her friends had made the preposterous statement that Father Christmas was not real, and that she had tried (unsuccessfully) to put them right. She was upset that her friends would tell her something so horrible, and declared that she believed in him - her upset was that her friends could be so misguided!
What to do? I didn't say anything at the time, as my jaw was hanging WIDE open - didn't expect that one!
On one hand, I would love her to believe forever, on the other hand, I am worried she will have problems with school friends, bullying, being called a baby, etc.
Should I sit her down, or just let it ride and let her work it out for herself? Her father and I don't have a clue what to do. Do you think I should let this year go, let her enjoy it all and break the news after Christmas?

Sorry about the length of this, but really flummoxed!

Elrel Mon 27-Nov-17 10:51:32

Annsixty - thanks for the reminder! Must check Santa will be writing to GC 7 and 3! Also something special needed for GGD’s Ist Christmas!

Lupatria Mon 27-Nov-17 10:55:18

We never said anything to our children when they were growing up but they still had the stockings. When they were teenagers I started buying stocking presents for myself and then husband too - the children got into the spirit and we kept it up.
Fast forward too many years than i care to remember and my daughter is back living with me. My two granddaughters have their stockings and have never said whether they believe or not. At 15 and 12 they'll get their stockings again this year - actually Santa sacks - as usual. It's all part of how we celebrate Christmas.
In addition they get their letters from Father Christmas - the company I get them from do a wonderful letter for older children. My two younger granddaughters still believe though I don't get to see them often and they also get a letter.

scrabble Mon 27-Nov-17 10:55:52

It is easier to keep it a secret if Father Christmas only fills the stocking, other presents went under the tree.

K8tie Mon 27-Nov-17 10:56:51

My 2 now in their late 40's said they knew for ages and kept it going for ages . . . the only reason being that they would get more pressies! And I naively kept it up as long as they did as I didn't want to burst their xmas bubbles . . . they know so well how to play us way before we get wind! LOL!

Funnygran Mon 27-Nov-17 10:57:44

Oldest grandson who has just started secondary school told me recently that he knew there was no FC but he also knew he had to keep it to himself because of his two younger siblings. We had a bit of a chat and he then surprised/impressed me by saying he now realised how much his parents must spend in providing presents for the three of them. Quite an insightful comment from an eleven year old.

NannyTee Mon 27-Nov-17 10:59:53

Well said. They grow up far too fast these days. Just let her believe what she wants to . If her friends say anything just say " take no notice " they'll be the sad ones Christmas morning . Worked for my DD.

nettyandmasey Mon 27-Nov-17 11:02:52

I say to anyone of any age “If you don’t believe,he doesn’t come”. ?

Aepgirl Mon 27-Nov-17 11:03:39

My daughter, now aged 41, recently told me that even though she had been told by friends at school that Father Christmas was not real, she still went along with it because she thought we (my husband and myself) believed. However, that was the same year that we had a small amount of snow overnight on Christmas Eve and an animal (could it have been a reindeer?) had left footprints by the saucer of milk that was left out for him. She then had proof that Father Christmas and his Reindeer did exist!

humptydumpty Mon 27-Nov-17 11:04:34

I agree, netty. Even now I still feel there is magic at midnight on Christmas Eve, nothing my rational brain says stops that.

Nona4ever Mon 27-Nov-17 11:12:34

some while ago a dear friend was asked by her 10 year old dauyfor the truth about FC as friends had been suggesting that he didn’t in fact, exist. My friend reckoned that the girl had had a good innings believing and was worried about further bullying from school mates. So she gently explained. The girl sat and thought about it for a while and then said ‘I don’t suppose you’re the tooth fairy as well,are you?’
Conversely another friend’s partner was seriously ill in the run-up to Christmas and well into the New Year. She did her best to keep things together and as normal as possible for her 6 year old son but it was very hard and shopping etc was put on the back burner. One day in January her son told her that all the boys in his class had said there’s no such person as FC but the boy had stoutly defended his position - he KNEW that FC existed. When asked by his mum why he was so VERY certain of this he replied, ‘I know you and daddy wouldn’t buy me such rubbish presents!’

TinaB57 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:12:51

I always told my two that he was real if you believed in him, if you didn't believe then the mummies and daddies gave the presents.

My youngest believed until he was nearly eleven. We decided it was time he knew the truth. He wasn't happy that we had been lying to him!

MargaretinNorthant Mon 27-Nov-17 11:20:06

Grandson aged 11 to Mum
Is it true there is no Father Christmas?
Mum.......er Yes
Grandson.....no tooth fairy?
Mum ....er yes
Grandson.....what about the Easter Bunny?
Mum ....er yes
Grandson Oh ruin my life why don't you!!
Its now a standing family joke!

Saggi Mon 27-Nov-17 11:20:08

It is the eternal dilemma. My grandson aged 10 was chatting to his 5 year old sister the other day as she was writing out her ‘Santa List’.... she was babbling on to him, while he helped with spelling mistakes.. she asked had he written his letter to Santa yet and he said “ no not yet” and turned to
me with a conspirational smile on his face. I smiled back and said nothing. Let it dawn on your granddaughter gradually..it’s the best way. I’m always amazed how the older children keep the illusion going for the younger siblings.It seems it’s an unwritten law between kids. They don’t want or need us to interfere with their beliefs. It all ends far too quickly anyway these days. Let this little girl hold on to him as long as she needs to. I have!

Knitnuts Mon 27-Nov-17 11:20:56

When this came up with my two DC I told them it was up to them whether they believed, or not. I added that they needed to think about that as, if they didn’t believe, Father Christmas might not come. There was doubt in their minds but they were happy to continue with the fun!

cornergran Mon 27-Nov-17 11:37:57

lisalou I suspect your very together daughter understands well enough, but she still want to connect with the 'magic'. As others have said, we approach it via the love and kindness route, our elder granddaughter is 11 and is happily 'believing' at home, suspect she doesn't at school though. I can imagine her face if she didn't get a stocking this year. Dont worry too much, I suspect your daughter will sort it for herself.

leeds22 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:49:45

I just dropped Father Christmas after the year my 5 yr old DS sang the praises of his lovely daddy (ex-husband and very absent father) for a great Christmas present and when I asked about the other presents (mine), he said, oh they came from FC. We never mentioned the man with the white beard again! I don't think he has been too traumatised.

quizqueen Mon 27-Nov-17 11:50:27

My granddaughter is a young 7 and has started asking her mum if vampires, witches and trolls are real. She seems to have a lot of nightmares and has a very vivid imagination but has never been allowed to see a vampire film! No mention of the tooth fairy or Father Christmas yet but she is only allowed to suggest one reasonably priced Santa gift. My daughter wants to take her and her sister to Lapland next year ( the youngest will be 2+) so she's hoping to string out the belief for one more year so the little one can enjoy it.

When she asked me, I said I had never seen any (of the above) but I know there are people who believe in (pagan) herbal potions etc. and I had seen dwarfs so they are real (she had seen some in a panto too) so the subject was steered away from!!! For now.

maryeliza54 Mon 27-Nov-17 12:01:25

leeds that’s exactly why I believe children shouldn’t think presents come from F.C. ( apart from a little stocking). It’s much much more magical as a small child to be surrounded by love and affection and the sheer wonderment that Grandma for example knew EXACTLY what to give you as a present for Christmas

newnanny Mon 27-Nov-17 12:15:18

I care for an 11 year old with mild learning disability and he still believes and so do his friends but attend special school. He told me he had to try hard to learn his spellings because he thought Santa might somehow find out if he did not try. It did make me smile. I expect this may be his last year but I don't want to spoil the magic whilst he still believes. He thinks the Santa's in stores are just helper Santa's as real Santa far too busy making presents to leave North Pole. I would leave her to find out in her own time. Why spoil magic for her?

Soniah Mon 27-Nov-17 12:21:03

I find it very difficult to believe most children over the age of six or seven are real believers, I think they just join in the fun not to disappoint the adults and to make sure they still get a stocking full of presents!

nellgwin Mon 27-Nov-17 12:23:40

My youngest GS believed in Santa and would write his letter and post it in the local post office, letter duly arrived for him from Santa and he was thrilled to bits,
Just before he was due to start secondary school I was talking about Santa Claus and he gave me a pitying look and sniggered in his hand but didn't say anything to me.
Last year he was very matter of fact that all through Christmas celebrated the birth of Jesus Santa didn't excised except for babies and younger children, Point taken!
let your grandchildren figure it out by themselves, I love the innocence of young children, so let it be.

allule Mon 27-Nov-17 12:25:09

This can be a hard one for teachers too. I think my story used to be that father Christmas only came to children who still believed in him, but then parents took over, so the children wouldn't be disappointed.

I remember one of our daughters saying "There must be a Father Christmas, because you'd never give us all that"

Rosina Mon 27-Nov-17 12:40:52

It's a minefield and I have every sympathy here Lisalou. A friend's son was an only child with no siblings to tell him otherwise and she heard him putting up an absolutely convincing argument to two school friends for the existence of Father Christmas. Having had the most awful shock when my Father told me Father Christmas didn't exist, when I was about seven or eight, we were determined to avoid any upset for our children. We talked about 'the Spirit of Christmas', how lovely that was, and that everyone can be a part of it if they want to. The old man in the red coat and big beard in department stores was also part of the fun and you could tell him what you wanted for Christmas - he was joining in on it too! That seemed to work pretty well, and I decided to just keep quiet about small friends who might start talking about sleigh rides and FC delivering the sacks on Christmas Eve night, and deal with any questions as they might come up. They never did, luckily.

mulberryruth Mon 27-Nov-17 12:42:52

Of course FC exists! There are pictures of him everywhere, he is in our heads, imaginations, hopes, memories and will continue to exist in the imagination of generations to come.
It depends on your view of reality! (smile)

pamdixon Mon 27-Nov-17 12:48:30

I was always told to tell my children that if they didn't believe in Father Christmas, then he wouldn't leave them a stocking - that stopped them asking about him forever!!!
Now, with the grandchildren, we track father christmas flying round the world, delivering the presents - can't remember what the website is called - but worth a visit!