Gransnet forums

Christmas

Baby’s 1st Christmas!

(45 Posts)
Elrel Mon 27-Nov-17 10:56:56

Any suggestions for a keepsake please? I don’t want to end up with anything tacky if possible. Any ideas from tree-baubles upwards welcome! My GGD has a very unusual name if that’s helpful. I just want something her family will like which can be kept. Thanks!

Elrel Wed 13-Dec-17 10:57:08

Morning dew, snow globes sound interesting! Do you have a link?!

silverlining48 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:00:24

babylayla i dont think the poster meant you were off point. She probably meant she was off point by saying sewing is good therapy. I agree with her and very well done for making the Christmas sacks, i am sure they will be a lovely keepsake. Its so much nicer to receive something home made with love. Do keep on with crafting, i have just started to do a bit myself but have a long way to go before i am any good.

Sheilasue Wed 13-Dec-17 11:35:49

My sister in law is great at cross stitch and makes a new baby a lovely picture with their name and date of birth she has it framed and new parents hang it in the babies bedroom.
If you know someone or want to have a go at it, it will be a lovely momento

TellNo1Ok Wed 13-Dec-17 13:18:50

my daughter bought nieces / nephews a lovely little silver ... sort of thimble size which opened and closed .... it had the tooth fairy sitting on top on the lid ... to keep their first baby teeth in...
sounds macabre but not at all... quite beautiful in its own right ...

Esspee Wed 13-Dec-17 16:24:54

Pandora beads are tacky. Please don't go with that suggestion.

paddyann Wed 13-Dec-17 16:40:31

my daughters MIL made an old fashioned cross stich picture with name ,date of birth,birthweight etc on it ,surrounded by roses ..her middle name .Its lovely ,she made one for GD's big sister too although she was 4 when MIL came into her life.A lovely thing to do .made her feel included .

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Dec-17 17:01:18

Why post just to be negative about someone else's suggestion, Esspee? It's all a question of personal taste, surely? I don't have Pandora charms myself, but have bought them for others, and there are hundreds to choose from.

Overthehills Wed 13-Dec-17 17:02:07

Lots of lovely ideas! Have a wonderful Christmas Elrel whatever you decide!

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:32:43

I have bought Pandora charms for others although I don't have any myself, some younger people do seem to like them and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

kitlong Wed 13-Dec-17 20:31:45

We wanted special keepsakes for our twin Grandchildrens' first Christmas this year and invested in limited edition Steiff bears - Father Christmas for our DGS and Mother Christmas for our DGD. They are in boxes which are quite a bit bigger than the bears (which are only 6") and so I bought smaller boxes to go inside, which can be opened and put out on display every year. The hope is that they'll appreciate in value but if not it doesn't matter as they are very sweet.

paddyann Wed 13-Dec-17 21:20:44

what about a charm bracelet you can add charms to in years to come .Iused to buy them for all the new baby girls and now of course charm bracellets are back in fashion

meandashy Thu 14-Dec-17 06:40:42

I hand made my daughter's and granddaughters Christmas stockings complete with their name and wee bells! I really enjoyed it. & next year I'll be making a new one for the new baby that's due in the summer ?

kitlong Thu 14-Dec-17 09:35:17

Oh and I also knitted white baubles for them which I embroidered with their name in pink and blue and 2017 . I'm a basic knitter so they are different sizes and not perfect shapes, but I thought they looked good and was proud to hand them over for their tree. I got the pattern idea from youtube and then just winged the embroidery, which I did with wool.

eGJ Thu 14-Dec-17 10:26:44

nearly forty years ago I adapted a man's long sock pattern for my daughters. I knitted their names, knitted in stars and Christmas trees and thoroughly enjoyed the whole project (planning, and knitting) When the next generation came I knitted for them and over 40 stockings later there are personalised stockings in 6 countries on three continents!! When new babies come, the announcement is often accompanied by "when are you knitting the stocking?" If you enjoy knitting, try this idea; turning a heel is very therapeutic!

eGJ Thu 14-Dec-17 10:30:47

Sorry Elrel too late for this year, but might do for next smile

Elrel Thu 14-Dec-17 10:45:54

What wonderful creative ideas, real family treasures to cherish for many years. Lovely to read all these suggestions, thanks again to you all!

Overthehills - Thank you for your Christmas Greeting. I'll extend it to a Very Happy Christmas to Everyone in our Gransnet Community and Health and Happiness in 2018!

Daddima Thu 14-Dec-17 12:02:16

Very slightly off topic, but I did giggle at the “ Baby’s First Christmas” sleepsuit in Asda.

Age- 18 months - 2 years.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Dec-17 12:59:34

Oh dear!! - my first reaction, then I thought about it and realised that my DGS would have needed that size at age 10-11 months!
He was large at birth and breastfed too, so not overfed, just extremely long (now tall).

Elrel Fri 15-Dec-17 19:45:16

Now have a mental image of Matt Lucas as George Dawes in one, vainly protesting that's it's his first Christmas!