Gransnet forums

Christmas

Getting in a tangle

(74 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 06-Dec-17 11:00:14

Does anyone else find doing all the Christmas wrapping up
A real pain? The paper tears, the sellotape gets in a tangle, or worse breaks off and you can’t find the end!
No matter how I try, the presents all end up looking like parcels of fish and chips. With fancy bows stuck on....at a rakish angle.tchangry
I do all the wrapping as DH usually hides somewhere at the mention of him doing any.

cornergran Wed 06-Dec-17 23:50:30

I also use those bags jalima bought from a shopping channel, not sure if I’m allowed to say which one but it’s three letters beginning with Q. Still wading through them, bought three years ago. willow is right, oh so easy. A double bow stop peeking from the little ones. tchsmile. Things that don’t go in bags go into boxes, it’s been very easy.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:20:13

I have bought some very oddly shaped presents this year - now I'm on the lookout for boxes! I've b ought all the paper etc so perhaps the bags will be good next year.

Thank you

JackyB Thu 07-Dec-17 11:52:49

Oh blow. I bought a pair of warm boots the other day and when the girl asked me if I'd like to take the box with me, I said "no". I knew I would regret it.

muppett1 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:06:44

Squiffy. I so agree with you. Next year everything must be square or rectangular or can go in a bottle bag! I’ve just had to wrap a ceramic duck! Never again ( until next year I expect)

Coconut Fri 08-Dec-17 10:07:00

Am in a minority, find wrapping gifts a challenge and do enjoy doing elaborate creations. Friends and family are always asking me to do there’s !

Musicelf Fri 08-Dec-17 10:22:10

My husband is the present wrapper - he's so much better at it than I am, and he actually enjoys it, whereas I loathe it. Everything is neat, but he does use so much tape, that it's hard to break in! Great for making the children take more time over opening them, and I love the fact that I don't have to do it!

Writing Christmas cards, on the other hand..........!

Legs55 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:25:38

When DD was still living at home she did all the present wrapping (except her own), even charged her Step-B to do his.

DH was pretty good at wrapping presents but as time went on & the depression hit the task fell to me.

Now I'm widowed there's nobody else to do it, at least I don't have many to wraptchgrin

lesley4357 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:25:53

I buy gift bags, if possible from Pound shops. Just need one strip of sellotape to secure top!

Marianne1953 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:13:51

I actually made cloth gift bags last year and everyone loved them and they could be reused

grandMattie Fri 08-Dec-17 11:43:05

I used to do all the wrapping thnking I was "better" at it. Recently, I have had DH doing half - he isn't that good, but, hey!, the paper is scrunched up and thrown away before anyone really looks at the wrapping.

I also find sitting on the floor and using my feet as third hand, very helpful. tchgrin

Tudorrose Fri 08-Dec-17 12:13:20

Not much help now but some years ago I found rolls of perforated sticky tape which took a lot of stress out of parcel wrapping. They may still be available but I cannot go out much as I have sciatica & P.D. M&S had gift paper rolls with the back printed in squares which made cutting up so much easier & affordable in the January sales

Witzend Fri 08-Dec-17 13:38:23

Best thing for a major wrapping session IMO is one of those sellotape dispensers - just the right amount each time and no faffing/cursing while trying to find the end.
Other than that, accompany it with a nice CD of carols, a glass of something festive and a mince pie or two!

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 13:43:49

Witzend that sounds a very good idea! tchsmile
I think my family are well used to my fish and chip type parcels by now, so I will just carry on.

RAF Fri 08-Dec-17 13:56:05

This gadget has transformed Christmas! www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-Desktop-Black-Dispenser-Magic/dp/B001IVX6T2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sellotape+%26+dispenser&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512741127&sr=8-1 Works infallibly, you can pull off and cut the right amount of tape one handed, whilst the other holds the flap shut.

OH doesn't do wrapping, or cards, or cooking, or present selection. He does pay for some things, and he does put up the outside lights, but that is as far as it goes! smile

Leah50 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:17:52

I'm awful at gift-wrapping so use gift bags in various sizes. At the end of the big day I collect everyone's empties & take them home for next year, (I'm known for being rather eccentric about re-cycling). I make the gift tags from the previous year's cards too....the money I save is given to charity.

Maggie1949 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:27:39

Christmas bags are brilliant they come in many sizes. So easy place gift inside. Cellotape opening. Attach gift card sorted. Only problem is I feel I am cheating and still wrap some

BBbevan Fri 08-Dec-17 15:12:06

Once again we have bought something that needs a box. We have trawled the internet and visited every likely shop within miles. No luck. So we have bought a 'moving' box. DH will cut it down to fit and then cover with a good paper.
As long as it looks good under the tree, we will be happy

lemongrove Fri 08-Dec-17 16:11:42

Do you know BB I had to think for a good few seconds what a moving box could possibly be....I visualised a box creeping about the place, then Doh! It hit me, a removal type box! A senior moment there.tchgrin

Granny23 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:26:17

ASDA do a pair of bright red pillowcases for £2. They accommodate almost any big present and look very festive tied with tinsel or ribbon. Best of all they are re-usable year after year.

sluttygran Fri 08-Dec-17 16:28:31

I find my little stapler very handy when wrapping awkward presents. It’s fairly easy to shape and staple a bag from a piece of wrapping paper, then you slip your pressy in, staple the top and add bows etc.
I wouldn’t do this for small children’s gifts, tho’ as the staples can be a bit scratchy!

Overthehills Fri 08-Dec-17 17:03:15

If DH’s wrapping looked as good as a “parcel of fish and chips” I’d be delighted Lemon! His have to be seen to be believed. But he does try, bless him, even sticks a bow on mine - usually on the bottom! tchgrin

Lilyflower Fri 08-Dec-17 17:56:21

I have always wrapped the family’s presents since I was about nine. The only ones my mother did were the ones I opened on Christmas morning. Thus, I have had a bit of practice and a good system for getting through them all. One thing I do is turn a biscuit tin upside down and stick bits of Sellotape all round the bottom. Then I can power through several gifts with the precut tape.

When the children were young and I worked full time I used to have to go into my ensuite bathroom with all of the presents on Christmas Eve and do the lot. Then I used to stick the precut Sellotape all round the basin. Thank goodness those frantic days have passed!

pamdixon Fri 08-Dec-17 18:00:20

I have to have at least 3 rolls of sellotape, pairs of scissors, pens etc. so then there's always something to hand.........I'm glad I'm not the only one who wraps things as though a 3 yo had done it all! Ditto decorating the xmas tree........this year I'm getting my grand-daughters (10 and 7) to do it and they will probably make a much better job of it than I do.
I do love christmas really!

Lilyflower Fri 08-Dec-17 18:03:00

As an addition to my post, can I resssure people that you are all making a terrific fuss about Christmas planning and preparation. It’s quick and easy and there is no need to upset anyone else about it. A man who does not one thing at all about Christmas and who, because he worked long hours, never had to ( though I was a full time teacher myself) told me this.

Additionally, he always managed to have a debilitating and serious illness (like a cold) just before Christmas and his birthday (for which choirs of angels have to sing) is two days after that of Baby Jesus.

So snap to it ladies and stop complaining.

annodomini Fri 08-Dec-17 18:03:34

A local card shop had a good deal on Christmas gift bags last year and I have enough left for this Christmas so that lets me out of the fiendish task of wrapping presents, though I still have some to buy blush.