Gransnet forums

Christmas

A happy thread for Christmas

(72 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 13-Dec-17 14:20:52

Let's keep a happy thread going over the Christmas season.

I read this on Twitter, it made me happy tchsmile ❤️:

Jury selection - yesterday
Man: I can’t serve; I’m away for weekend.
Judge: We don’t sit at weekends.
Man: I’m away till Monday. I’m 54, a bachelor & it’s my 1st time in love.
Judge: Then you GO and you GO with my blessing.

Truly an epic moment!

HillyN Wed 03-Jan-18 00:33:22

Have you thought of taking them to see cartoon film 'The Star' at the cinema? We went with a group of children from church and the pastor commented afterwards that it had helped him understand the stable. Actually no stable or cattle shed is mentioned in the Bible, only the manger- the rest is inferred.

Granny23 Fri 29-Dec-17 09:09:22

HillyN That is indeed wonderful. It will be a family heirloom for generations.

It has, however, sparked one of my random thoughts about the Nativity which is - If Jesus was born in a STABLE why are there no HORSES? It makes sense for there to be a stable attached to an Inn but if 'The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes' then surely this is a BYRE or a 'lowly cattle shed'. There was of course the 'Little Donkey' and according to the latest Nativity Play I saw, a whole herd of giggling sheep, to complicate matters. DGC with enquiring minds don't half ask some awkward questions grin

NannyTee Thu 28-Dec-17 12:48:50

Oh my . That is wonderful and it would look great lit up too. How talented.

HillyN Thu 28-Dec-17 12:37:04

Remember the stable my DH was making for the Nativity figures (up thread)? Thought you might like to see the finished project. (Although DH is talking about lighting it up for next year.)

Nelliemoser Mon 25-Dec-17 00:00:54

Just to bring a warm smile if you have not seen it before.

www.bustle.com/p/video-of-a-little-girl-stealing-the-baby-jesus-during-a-church-nativity-play-is-the-gift-you-deserve-this-year-7622639

Newquay Sun 24-Dec-17 22:56:52

Only just listening to Carols from Kings as was visiting a family who've had some AWFUL problems this last week, fortunately resolved now but they're still shocked by it all.
Went to church this morning the first time for a few weeks as was away from home awaiting arrival of DGC6 then had flu since. Service was BRILLIANT, talented musicians, singers, poets. Made up for all I've had to miss.
So. . . . A Happy Christmas to one and all, not forgetting the reason for the season?

Grannyknot Sun 24-Dec-17 22:23:31

One of our local independent pubs is offering for the 3rd year running a free roast turkey lunch to anyone on their own. The advert says "No catches, no schemes, no agendas. Just join us for a meal". It warns that it gets busy tchsmile

What a lovely atmosphere there must be, all those happy people eating a Christmas lunch "on the house".

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Granny23 Sat 23-Dec-17 01:44:51

So glad it stayed dry and frosty till I'd finished on the roof.

From Our House to Your House - Merry Christmas one & all

Grannyknot Fri 22-Dec-17 22:11:29

A woman is out shopping & people are making a fuss because of a tiny white fluffy puppy in her arms.

Random: cooing So gorgeous! What breed is it?

Puppy Lady: smug Oh, very special, a multi-poo don't you know?

R: So, a mongrel then.

grin

NannyTee Fri 22-Dec-17 18:13:26

Haha the fizz doesn't lay right in my tummy for some reason. My DD always brings it but I stick to my Rose wine .Aldi has sold out by us in the NW too thank goodness tchwink

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Dec-17 18:01:55

She's bringing two magnums instead, so we'd better drink quickly. tchgrin

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Dec-17 18:00:45

DD1 has just told me she tried to buy a jeroboam of prosecco (3 litres!) from Aldi for Christmas Day. I'm so glad they were sold out - I'd never have fitted it in the fridge (let alone lifted it with my back)!

Grannyknot Fri 22-Dec-17 17:30:20

Christmas shop on Sauchiehall street earlier today:

Assistant to shopper: “Can I help you sir?”

Shopper: “Aye doll. You goat any Easter eggs?”

I love Glasgow (mostly). grin

Marydoll Wed 20-Dec-17 23:04:46

Grannybuy ?

grannybuy Wed 20-Dec-17 23:02:34

While I was queuing for my prescription at the chemist today, my four year old DGD was over in a corner on her knees at a shelf. I was watching her from the corner of my eye, but hadn't been aware of what she was actually doing until she appeared in front of me with her 'make up' on. She had been using the testers, and was a sight for sore eyes. She raised smiles from the others in the queue. She looked so,pleased with herself!

Overthehills Wed 20-Dec-17 22:30:48

I had a letter from a cousin I haven’t seen in over fifty years, giving me news of his Mum and his family. Oh and my DDiL is bringing a magnum of prosecco (sp?) when she comes on Boxing Day! tchgrin

hulahoop Wed 20-Dec-17 22:25:28

Just popped on to wish you all a very happy Christmas and best wishes for 2018 ??

loopyloo Wed 20-Dec-17 22:14:10

Had a great day. Not Dizzy this morning and went shopping with a very dear friend. Now babysitting the DGC who are both asleep and my MRI has been cancelled for tom am so I can have a lie in.

Jayh Wed 20-Dec-17 21:13:24

I am going to Edinburgh on Friday for a family day out with OH, DS, DDIL and GD to see the Christmas lights and German Markets. It will be my first trip on the infamous trams. Such fun!
I count my blessings that this has been a reasonable year without major upsets.
May next year be equally uneventful.
Season's Greetings to all of you Gransnetters. All the best for 2018.
tchsmile

1974cookie Wed 20-Dec-17 20:40:55

Heard a lovely story about a children's Nativity Play this morning on the Radio. Mary and Joseph arrived at the Inn where they met the Innkeeper.
Little Lad who played the Innkeeper when asked if there was any room at the Inn, said 'Yes, we have lots of rooms, come in'.
That put a smile on my face I can tell you.

A Very Happy Christmas to Each and Every Gransnetter, but also not forgetting the Gransnet People themselves who made this site possible. To them, I say a Big Thank You too for a site that for so many of us, has made such a difference to our lives. tchsmile tchsmile tchsmile.

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 18:59:55

Oh that's a lovely thing to do .

HillyN Wed 20-Dec-17 18:50:55

I've been doing various Christmas crafts with the DGC today and we've had so much fun. It has inspired my DH to create a stable for the Nativity characters. He is sawing wood as I write!

nanaK54 Wed 20-Dec-17 18:49:46

This is such a lovely thread! smile

MissAdventure Wed 20-Dec-17 18:40:17

Well, from a real old misery guts, I just had a lovely moment. We have a Christmas sleigh that does the rounds here, with music playing, lights, and father Christmas himself on it. I opened the door to look, and saw the 3 little children from upstairs, who were overcome with excitement! They were singing along, jumping up and down, clutching each other and saying "its him!" Very sweet.

DanniRae Wed 20-Dec-17 18:34:39

We bought the last two presents today! This has made me feel quite relieved. Now to get the house a bit more shiny and a bit less dusty then Christmas can begin tchsmile