Gransnet forums

Christmas

When does it start for you?

(38 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 14-Dec-17 17:39:48

As a child I remember thinking that Christmas had started when the decorations and the tree went up. As a young married woman it started when we set off on our Christmas holiday visit to my in-laws in Devon (the best Christmasses ever). Nowadays it tends to start on Christmas Eve. In some ways it was easier when I was working because we had a works Christmas 'do' to get in the spirit of the season and then the holiday started when I finished work. I don't ever remember a time of relaxing and just doing Christmassy things that didn't require me to do a whole lot of organisation to make it happen.

Greyduster Thu 14-Dec-17 18:00:10

Me neither, GA! Christmas Eve for me, when anything you’ve forgotten will have to stay forgotten, last minute prep is done, carols are on the hi fi, and I have a large drink in my hand!

Smithy Thu 14-Dec-17 18:48:46

It starts for me when my daughter gets off the train ready to spend a few days over Christmas. Can't wait.

merlotgran Thu 14-Dec-17 18:58:40

It'll start for me when we arrive at DD2's on Christmas Eve.

Up until then I'll be dealing with all the last minute stuff, taking the dogs to kennels on 23rd, trying to ignore DH's mounting travel anxiety and setting off as early as poss on 24th - praying that no traffic probs will make a three hour journey even longer.

We always have a wonderful time when we get there so I'm shoving any negative thoughts out of mind.

BBbevan Thu 14-Dec-17 19:44:15

When I worked in a school, Christmas started just after half term in October. That was when we started practicing the Christmas plays, making calendars etc. Loved it. Now , although I am all ready, Christmas doesn't start until the family get here. Possibly the 23rd or 24th.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 20:57:28

The morning of Christmas Eve feels like the start of Christmas to me.whatever we are doing, it always feels like a special day, ending in midnight mass and hopefully a starry night to come out of church to and home for a hot cup of tea or hot chocolate.
Years ago, we had a good walk to church, up a long wooded lane which I really enjoyed, but I live next to the church
now, so no walk involved.

Grandma70s Thu 14-Dec-17 21:03:02

When the solo choirboy sings Once in Royal David’s City from King’s Cambridge.

Grannyben Thu 14-Dec-17 21:28:34

Its different things for me, when the children were at homer it was when the decorations went up then other times it seemed to be when they broke up from school. Now it seems to be when I watch Alastair Sim every Christmas eve

Bathsheba Thu 14-Dec-17 22:35:54

On Christmas Eve, when my DD and GD have arrived, and everything has been done, all presents wrapped and under the tree, all food bought and prepped. Anything that has been overlooked, well it's too bad because the shops have shut!! Which means I can relax and stop trying to think of any last minute things, pour myself a drink and listen to Christmas carols tchsmile

Marmight Thu 14-Dec-17 22:58:22

It has to be Christmas Eve.
In the past, once the children were in bed and there was the mad rush to fill their stockings before one or all woke up and asked 'has he been yet....?'. Now, because I still get that special feeling of the wonder and magic of Christmas and remember the Christmases of my childhood when things were simpler but still full of excitement. I loathe the commercial build up to Christmas which seems to go on for ever. I'm not particularly religious but I think we've forgotten what it's all about. Peace and goodwill to all mankind in the middle of the frenzy of buying, buying, buying .....?

M0nica Fri 15-Dec-17 17:37:52

Christmas starts when either DD or DD, DS and family arrive. When DC were young Christmas started when DH's parents arrived.

This year we have a full house, so Christmas will start late on 23rd December when DS and family arrive after a 4 hour evening journey south. DD arrives late the previous day.

grannyqueenie Fri 15-Dec-17 23:01:01

Im not sure when Christmas proper starts for me, probably Christmas Eve. But the start of the run up is definitely making mince pies with Christmas carols playing as I manhandle roll out the pastry!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Dec-17 23:25:41

It starts for me in the first or second week of December when the trees and decorations go up and we sit in the dark every night with all the twinkling lights (I love fairy lights all year round). ?????

Then not much happens until I go to the panto with my friend, which is next Wednesday. This year it's my favourite Cinderella ????????????

It drops off again until we arrive at my Mum's in Scotland which is the 23rd this year. Then it's really Christmas. ???⛪?????????

mischief Sat 16-Dec-17 09:08:11

Christmas starts when I step off the train at Kings Cross station. There is the bustle and noise, the lights and music of the city. Two days looking after my small granddaughters while parents are still at work, then collecting the goose and making Nutty Bread Sauce, Chutney and other preparations with my daughter. Christmas Day itself then phew............aaaahhhhh...

Harris27 Sat 16-Dec-17 09:10:49

It starts for me when I leave workone whole weekmoff( nursery nurse) then my son comes home Christmas Eve and that's when I know it's Christmas!!!

Sheilasue Sat 16-Dec-17 09:32:14

It starts for me and h on Christmas Eve, all the shopping and preparation is done and we can relax with a drink and listen to carols.

Teetime Sat 16-Dec-17 09:40:43

Christmas Eve when the family arrive if its our turn to have them so this year no -one is coming (we are going there in between Xmas and New Year) Service of 9 lessons is tomorrow which should get me feeling Christmassy.

MadFerretLady Sat 16-Dec-17 09:42:15

Midnight Mass - always ... that sense of excitement in the air, people dropping by the church who we normally won't see - some drunk, some in evening dress, and always welcome. We see those from other churches too, whose own group don't do the midnight thing... For me it is a little taste of 'goodwill on earth and peace to all mankind' ... that time of gathering in candlelight in the middle of the night hopefully waiting ...

Saggi Sat 16-Dec-17 09:54:04

Starts for me when the tree and decs go up and that's this weekend , cos I need my son to extricate tree from attic and bribe him with a roast dinner tmro.Luckily he's unmarried so sometimes I need to use his muscles. Also I believe cos he has no wife/children he secretly enjoys helping us put up the tree and decs as he doesn't bother in his flat.So roll on tmro and we'll get the show on the road. Beer for him...roast pork... glass of plonk for me ...football on tele for his dad and of we go!

IngeJones Sat 16-Dec-17 10:19:04

Xmas starts for me in early November. I have learnt to buy gifts and tree sweets early or they've all sold out. I hate xmas.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 16-Dec-17 10:28:02

I believe retailers decide that for us when they start their displays of xmas related goodies at the beginning of October.

TellNo1Ok Sat 16-Dec-17 11:19:35

When the shops have finally closed on Christmas Eve and what I've not got will stay not got...
Then delegate other half to get peeling those spuds... we've got the family round tomorrow... early...

Happy Christmas all.......

Nonnie Sat 16-Dec-17 11:27:16

Not sure it will start this year, just have to be got through. Nearly always been here but DS and DiL want us to go to them so they can look after us.

When DSs were young I made sure everything was done before the Crib Service at 4 pm on Christmas Eve. That was always a wonderfully magical time with a great story teller reading from an impressive book and all the children taking turns to bring an animal and put it in the crib. Happy memories.

harrysgran Sat 16-Dec-17 11:51:25

Like BBbevan I work in a school so it starts about 6 weeks before rehearsals ,church services , cards and calendars in fact I got my first Christmas card when I returned after October break and I enjoy every moment children carry you along with excitement

glammanana Sat 16-Dec-17 12:00:17

It starts to get serious on 15th Dec which is my eldest DSs birthday we have always put the tree up on that day and it has always been his job to help decorate said tree over the years we then celebrate his birthday with a special party of close family,things will change next year when he becomes a daddy as he will have to start his own traditions with the baby.