Gransnet forums

Christmas

Approaching Christmas morning with trepidation!

(102 Posts)
phoenix Sat 16-Dec-17 17:55:35

Evening all, hope you are well, and sending every good wish to all.

Well, Mr P has finally opened his own Amazon account, I think my irate response to being told that an air purifier that I had (not) ordered, was on it's way (In fairness to him, I had told him that I had been diagnosed with COPD, and he has a bit of a knee jerk reaction.) has finally made him stop using mine! )

But now the worry starts. He has proudly declared that he has bought "all" of my Christmas presents shock

On previous Christmas mornings, I have opened a parcel that by the shape I was pretty certain/hoping that it was some kind of tablet, perhaps a Hudl?

No, it was a digital air compressor, because I had had an unfortunate incident a few months earlier with a flat tyre. confused

On another Christmas morning, I was presented with a beautifully wrapped toilet seat.hmm In all fairness to him, I had been complaining about the seat in the downstairs loo, which had the tendency to try to throw you off sideways like a bucking bronco, or let the lid slam down on your back, so I suppose it did at least show he had been listening! grin

In his defence, some years ago when I was at the height of menopausal hot flushes, he bought me 2 gorgeous chrome sort of retro fans, one for the kitchen, one for the bedroom.

But I'm still a tad apprenhensive..................................!

justwokeup Sun 17-Dec-17 23:20:13

This thread is hilarious! I love the three wives story, so sneaky ... and so clever! I suppose it also shows that tastes differ. I loved a power tool (asked for it) but hated the expensive 'go to the shop at the last minute and let the assistant wrap it' perfume. As someone who can never seem to find that thoughtful, just-knew-he'd-love-it gift, OH was never overwhelmed by my choice either. Now we each buy something we want and swap. At least the wrapping paper is a surprise! tchgrin

thuberon Sun 17-Dec-17 23:02:14

I was very excited to get a book from my partner - City Guide to Berlin. I eagerly opened it up expecting the air tickets to drop out. Then shook it. No tickets. Never a mention of going there in the subsequent 15 years.??

ginny Sun 17-Dec-17 21:29:31

The one time DH decided what to buy me (instead of asking my Mum or our daughters) I received a marcasite brooch in the shape of a lizard. Never wear jewellery other than rings and can’t stand reptiles.
On my 40th Birthday, I had a party( arranged by my self). DH read out a poem about what happens when you are 40. He though it funny, I did not. I would have thought after 24 years ( at that time) he would have known I wouldn’t have been amused. Still together after over 40 years so he must have his good points .

Chewbacca Sun 17-Dec-17 21:02:51

The posts on here are wonderful! I've been laughing out loud at them! Isn't it amazing how inventive out OH's can be when under pressure! Please all post again next week when this years corkers have been recieved.

jamtart27 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:58:43

A fleece jacket when we had been married for one year, but what hurt is that he had bought his mother exactly the same , talk about passion killer ?

Shizam Sun 17-Dec-17 20:36:22

A food warmer, as you get in Indian restaurants, was fairly awful. But then there was the box of milk tray chocs, yuck, wrapped in newspaper. I’d just had a baby so was hormonal in my response to it.

Juggernaut Sun 17-Dec-17 20:24:55

I pointed out (on more than a few occasions) the Sapphire and Diamond ring that I wanted from DH for Christmas.
It was the first Christmas since our DS was born, and I expected a 'big gesture' from DH!
Imagine my surprise on Christmas morning when I received a huge 'squishy' package which turned out to be a blanket!
I opened it and shook it, fully expecting the ring to drop out from the folds, but no, it was just a blanket!
His thinking (or rather the lack of it) was that it would ensure that I was lovely and warm when he was on night shifts!
He's never made that sort of mistake since, and the Christmas after 'blanketgate' I got a ring, but by way of apology there were no sapphires, just diamonds!

Grandmama Sun 17-Dec-17 19:47:50

Previous presents from the family:
Black and Decker drill + drill bits and plugs
Small vacuum cleaner
Meat tenderising hammer
Slow cooker
Garden gnome - man
Garden gnome - frog
Crockery set

lesley4357 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:39:05

...... a wheelbarrow one year, electric hedge trimmer another, a set of Allen keys, a set of paintbrushes (DIY type) .... I could go on

Welshwife Sun 17-Dec-17 19:24:13

When she was about 8 my SIL went out with her pocket money and bought her mother a scrubbing brush! My first (now deceased) OH remembered going out with her to buy it.
My current OH is hopeless at present buying - last year it was a metal thing of an old chap with some sort of barrow - I think it is for putting a bottle of wine in on the table but he thought it was a plant pot holder so I was able to stick it outside.

midgey Sun 17-Dec-17 17:34:13

I tried to say subtly that I would like an Xbox......too subtle ...he said no thanks he didn’t want one!

RosieLeah Sun 17-Dec-17 16:30:28

I can't contribute to this thread, but thank you for giving me a good laugh!

oldgaijin Sun 17-Dec-17 16:14:01

I can beat the toilet seat...I got a bathplug! I wore it all day for my guests to admire. That's all I got, nothing else, zilch, nada.

oldgaijin Sun 17-Dec-17 16:11:51

I can beat the toilet seat...I got a bathplug! I wore it all day for my guests to admire. That's all I got, nothing else, zilch, nada.

Camelotclub Sun 17-Dec-17 15:36:12

My Dad bought my Mum a white china cat figurine, like something you'd win at a funfair. It was all white so he painted in its eyes with enamel paint. Bizarre.

homefarm Sun 17-Dec-17 15:26:52

I don't receive presents these days but in the past I've had a garden fork [very heavy], metal filing box, various kitchen appliances [that I did not want or use], lawn mower and a strimmer, for him I think! but did once receive a Parker pen and a bar of chocolate for my birthday[both were free gifts I later found out]

HootyMcOwlface Sun 17-Dec-17 15:20:46

At different times I've had a maternity top (I wasn't pregnant), a watch ( when I had already told him someone else was buying me one), two bottles of the same perfume (when I had again already told him someone else was buying it), and the best was a nodding dog for the back shelf of the car. I must have done a terrific job of pretending to like it that I got another (larger one) the next year! I hate getting presents now.

Lilyflower Sun 17-Dec-17 15:09:00

Whilst out we bumped into someone we knew who was making jokey comments about buying presents for her spouse. I said the OH and I gave up buying presents for each other (though I didn't explain that it was when the kids were young and we couldn't afford it.) Then my DH spent five minutes boasting about the ONE time (about six years ago) when he secretly bought me something on the spur of the moment and, as usual, I hadn't got him anything because that was our arrangement.

I am married to a cross between Jesus and Mother Theresa, surely? Well, he clearly thinks so.

00mam00 Sun 17-Dec-17 15:07:31

I buy what I want, pass it to my DD who tells my OH that she thinks I would like it for Christmas, perfect. He pays her, she pays me.

Saggi Sun 17-Dec-17 15:05:12

First year of marriage at Christmas he gave me a set of screwdrivers and a Do-It-Yourselg manual!!! I was flabbergasted!! But to be fair he told me it was his way of saying .... “ I’m hopeless at D-I-Y and I’m never going to do any! I’ve become expert at it and he’s lived up to his promise and makes me a cuppa!

mumofmadboys Sun 17-Dec-17 14:09:23

I'm glad you liked them Danni! You are probably tall and slim and looked fantastic in them! I wouldn't have!!

Sheilasue Sun 17-Dec-17 13:40:14

Coo you do have rotten luck when it’s comes to pressies. Think you all better make a list in future and let them pick something off the list.

DanniRae Sun 17-Dec-17 13:32:05

Oh mumofmadboys I had the red tartan pants from M&S. I loved them!!

Sparklefizz Sun 17-Dec-17 13:21:21

I got "Mrs Beeton's Book of Home Management" for our 10th anniversary, (this was in 1978 not 1928!!) and an electric tin opener for Christmas. (He is now my ex for other much more serious reasons.)

Teddy123 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:16:08

Hi Phoenix. Does the air purifier help? I too have COPD.
I use an electric fan in the summer but too cold for that now! Would be interested in your opinion on the purifier. Thanks!