Gransnet forums

Christmas

Approaching Christmas morning with trepidation!

(102 Posts)
phoenix Sat 16-Dec-17 17:55:35

Evening all, hope you are well, and sending every good wish to all.

Well, Mr P has finally opened his own Amazon account, I think my irate response to being told that an air purifier that I had (not) ordered, was on it's way (In fairness to him, I had told him that I had been diagnosed with COPD, and he has a bit of a knee jerk reaction.) has finally made him stop using mine! )

But now the worry starts. He has proudly declared that he has bought "all" of my Christmas presents shock

On previous Christmas mornings, I have opened a parcel that by the shape I was pretty certain/hoping that it was some kind of tablet, perhaps a Hudl?

No, it was a digital air compressor, because I had had an unfortunate incident a few months earlier with a flat tyre. confused

On another Christmas morning, I was presented with a beautifully wrapped toilet seat.hmm In all fairness to him, I had been complaining about the seat in the downstairs loo, which had the tendency to try to throw you off sideways like a bucking bronco, or let the lid slam down on your back, so I suppose it did at least show he had been listening! grin

In his defence, some years ago when I was at the height of menopausal hot flushes, he bought me 2 gorgeous chrome sort of retro fans, one for the kitchen, one for the bedroom.

But I'm still a tad apprenhensive..................................!

kitlong Sun 24-Dec-17 06:30:35

I've already posted about the outside lights I had one year from my DH. Not for Christmas but this made me remember what he gave me for my (long ago) 40th Birthday - a hoe, a pair of wellies and a calculator.

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 22:10:22

Next year......you should all create Amazon wish lists for your DH to choose suitable presents from.

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 22:08:50

Looking forward to sometime next week when you can all tell us what you actually got this time.tchsmile

Nanawind Fri 22-Dec-17 21:47:41

Upvc cleaner.

phoenix Fri 22-Dec-17 15:41:39

Update!

Most of my presents were delivered to where I work, NOT because that's where Mr P had asked them to be delivered to, but because Tim, our postie, will notice if I'm not home, put things back in the van and drop them off where I work (caused havoc the first few times, with people trying to give the parcels back to him saying he had made a mistake!)

Well, I have been extremely good, haven't squeezed, shaken, rattled or peeked (although I could have done, seeing as I have a roll of proper brown parcel tape in the office blush )

They have all arrived from Amazon (of course) and previous experience of Amazon deliveries have made me aware that the size of the box is no indication as to the size of the contents.

A new mop that I ordered for our office cleaner arrived in a box so large that I thought someone had ordered a wardrobe confused

He has finished work early, and is now in the sitting room, with the door shut, sellotape, scissors and wrapping paper shock

I will be interested to see how the size of the wrapped gifts compares to the size of the boxes delivered! grin

Nannyme Mon 18-Dec-17 21:11:02

My ex had a photo of me done as a characiture, that is why he is an ex!

mollie Mon 18-Dec-17 17:31:04

First OH was the practical but unromantic sort and tended to make wait until the January sales for my present. I did get some kitchen canisters on the day for our first Xmas together. Second OH is far more romantic but after the usual exchange of perfume I hated and aftershave he hated etc we turned to Amazon wish lists. This year we’ve been even more practical - both ordered our own presents from Amazon and handed them over to be wrapped and returned on Christmas Day. I’ve almost forgotten what I ordered so it might still be a surprise!

gulligranny Mon 18-Dec-17 12:54:12

An ex-boyfriend bought me a matching apron and teatowel; he bought his mother an all-singing all-dancing microwave - at a time when they weren't common and I'd have given my eye-teeth for one.

Reading these posts I'm beginning to wonder whether DH will be somewhat underwhelmed by the walking stick that has a seat as well, even though he has been saying for months that he wants one.... To be fair, his main present is an "experience" ( time in an aircraft flight simulator), and for his birthday in January I'm taking him to see "Phantom of the Opera".

Miep1 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:21:47

When I was small, we didn't have much money, so my parents took it in turns to buy 'something usefully' at Christmas. One year, it was my father's turn, and he bought a drill. My mother was less than impressed, so he promised it could be useful for her too...he fashioned a beater/whisk out of a coat hanger and slotted it in place. "Now you can make cakes easier' ses he. " I'll show you with that pan of potatoes you were going to mash" he put the beaters in, and sure enough We had beautiful potato puree in no time flat. Then he forgot to turn the drill off as he took it out of the pan...

pollyperkins Mon 18-Dec-17 09:44:58

Actually I don't see what's wrong with kitchen equipment either -I have requested it sometimes eg breadmaker, slow cooker. But I would draw the line at tools, tyres or elasticated headlamps - except as a joke!

pollyperkins Mon 18-Dec-17 09:42:38

Oomumoo tbat'so a brilliant idea - love it. I did something fairly similar last year - pointed out something I liked to DD and she secretly contacted DH and offered to buy his present to me. I guessed because of the secret whispered phone calls but didn't mind!

GrannyO Mon 18-Dec-17 09:37:02

Chewbacca, can't stop laughing at the elasticated head lamp- brilliant ??

Rosiebee Mon 18-Dec-17 09:00:32

A young woman I knew bought her mum a cemetery plot for Christmas. Her thinking was that her mum wouldn't then have to worry about that expense later in life. Needless to say it didn't go down well but she couldn't understand why her mum didn't appreciate it.confused

W11girl Mon 18-Dec-17 08:39:52

Oh..mmm... I have just purchased a Zimmer Frame for my husband!!....he doesn't need it...he is mobile. However, he does have arthritis in his hip and sometimes can't get up from his seat! I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporisis. Both of us have everything we could possibly need...so... known for planning in advance....a Zimmer frame it is! He will see the funny side. He thought I was crazy when I bought him a commode a few years ago....but it really has had been very useful...between his broken bones on a number of occasions and muscle spams in my back a dash for the loo is no longer a problem! On the lighter side..its a nice one...shiney dark bronze...with wheels!! This is as far as I'm going. I will never purchase a mobility scooter...I promise! They are so anti-social, particularly when a number of people using them don't actually need them!!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 18-Dec-17 08:26:58

A former boyfriend in the 70s gave me the loveliest present ever. He had found, in a junk shop a 1920s sit up and beg bicycle and loveingly restored it. When he wheeled it out on Christmas morning I just cried. I rode that bike to work for years and one person told me I'd become a 'feature of the Radford Road' on it. I still have it and treasure it though sadly can't ride it nowadays.
Tragically, my lovely boyfriend died many years ago and even though I'd decided that for other reasons he was never going to be husband material I still miss him.
Sorry for going off piste a bit on this post, but the gift brings back poignant memories.

chicken Mon 18-Dec-17 08:23:18

Two scart leads and a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves.

Billybob4491 Mon 18-Dec-17 06:40:50

Our first Christmas together as a married couple and my husband bought me a rotary clothes airer, and was very surprised at my lack of enthusiasm. However after 55 years of marriage (still to each other), instead of buying each other gifts we now donate to Charity, and then no one gets disappointed!

Menopaws Mon 18-Dec-17 06:34:12

Wooden meat tenderiser that was so cheap it splintered, used it to tenderise his head

radicalnan Mon 18-Dec-17 04:38:04

I had a cosmetic bag every time, Christmas, and my birthday, only a month apart, I don't wear make up, I guess he got a thank you the first time and thought he was on to a winner.

Grandma2213 Mon 18-Dec-17 01:08:34

My ex once bought me a bradawl .... fair enough I did most of the DIY. However the long handled shears which were to stop me bending down to cut the edges of the grass when I was heavily pregnant were a step too far. He did once buy me a lovely coat but it was too small so he sent it back. It was never replaced. Surprisingly I once had a gold chain but I later discovered it was originally for a mistress who had finished with him!

My DSs have also bought useful presents such as a breadmaker, set of saucepans, a food mixer, vacuum cleaner which are useful and not a waste of money so I am happy. I can't see what is wrong with domestic appliances or tools that I normally couldn't afford.

However DS3 appears to be turning into his father having bought me a power washer after repeatedly being told I hated them for shifting the moss into one corner to grow more abundantly and flooding the whole garden.

My best presents have been tickets for shows that I was taken to by aforementioned DSs. Brilliant as I rarely go out otherwise!

paddyann Sun 17-Dec-17 23:53:11

I usually get the same present every year ,a couple of cookery books,some nice brandy ,cd's and perfume.My daughter took it upon herself to tell her dad I must be fed up never having anything different so he asked her what sort of thing he should buy...a nice pair of diamond earrings and a weekend in Paris is what she told him ...and lo and behold thats what I got,The silly thing is I was and am perfectly happy with the books.cd's perfume and brandy...so we've gone back to that .

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 23:49:33

grin

Katek Sun 17-Dec-17 23:48:05

Not DH. but my brother once gave me a roll of black bin bags. I was active in campaigning against the location of a landfill site so he thought the bags were appropriate. They were nicely gift wrapped and labelled as well.

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Dec-17 23:32:52

My son seems to do better. The big jigsaw puzzle carrier was a triumph.
OH would never have thought of that.
I can't remember OHs worst present I must have mercifully forgotten it .
I think it was something on the lines of a domestic appliance.

Teacheranne Sun 17-Dec-17 23:22:01

When I was going through my divorce, my ex said one of the reasons he had "played the field" was because it was so difficult to buy me presents as I was too fat to wear sexy underwear, allergic to perfume and wore frumpy clothes! I should have known my marriage was on the rocks when he bought me a dyson vac for Christmas and a toaster for my birthday!