Gransnet forums

Christmas

OMG! This could be serious!

(43 Posts)
phoenix Sat 16-Dec-17 20:25:44

The gammon!

I think this one may be slightly too large to fit into the slow cooker. sad

Just when I thought I'd got it sorted. blush the ba%st$r@d* have upped the size of the joint shock

Please, all that can, send every good gammon wish, I really don't want to have to revert to "Cursing the Gammon"

Thank you, your thoughts at this difficult time are appreciated.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 20:31:36

grin How big can it be? grin
Can you cut it in half and do it in 2 stages? Or bung it in the oven in a roasting pan half filled with water?

merlotgran Sat 16-Dec-17 20:31:44

I think there will be a popular vote for you to Curse the Gammon again, phoenix

Mine won't go in the slow cooker either so I'm resorting to the jam saucepan.

annsixty Sat 16-Dec-17 20:36:24

A very large supermarket foil container would surely do the job, designed for a large turkey but with a foil cover.
We sometimes agonize too much.

whitewave Sat 16-Dec-17 20:55:52

I’m out the whole of Christmas so no cooking for me smile

SpringyChicken Sat 16-Dec-17 21:02:41

I used to cook a gammon joint but now I buy some slices of ham instead. It tastes better than mine ever did and we're not eating it for evermore.

Crafting Sat 16-Dec-17 21:25:47

Cum on now phoenix! Don't be a weakling ? Can't you squish it a bit ?️‍♀️ bash it with a hammer ?, pound it into submission. It must fit. Put the cooker on the floor put the gammon on top and jump on it till it fits.
None of that works tchhmm.... then I guess cursing the gammon is the only option left tchgrin.... have you thought of becoming a vegetarian? #innocentface!

phoenix Sun 17-Dec-17 03:07:05

Crafting grin

Teetime Sun 17-Dec-17 10:27:13

I hate gammon I would be very happy to bash it with a hammer for you.

M0nica Sun 17-Dec-17 10:30:40

Put it on a diet? If it really works at it, it could lose 2lbs by Christmas!

annsixty Sun 17-Dec-17 10:40:36

Cut it in half.
Cook half, freeze half.
A whole gammon means you will still be eating it at Easter.

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:47:42

Oh No!

I haven't bought one yet so thanks so much for the warning phoenix tchgrin

Now, simmer or roast ---
That is the question.
Whether 'tis easier to suffer the agonies of burnt fingers
or to take a knife against the troublesome joint

clareken Sun 17-Dec-17 11:29:29

Slice some steaks off until it fits!

SiobhanSharpe Sun 17-Dec-17 11:44:09

I always cook mine in a little water in a large roasting pan in the oven. completely covered with foil. Basically steam-baked and always turns out beautifully. I give it 30 mins per 500 grams/1lb plus another 30 mins. Start it off fairly high for 20 minutes then turn it down to medium.
Let it cool in the pan unwrapped then peel off the skin and glaze it or coat with breadcrumbs as required.
The ham juices left in the roasting pan are wonderful for soup, or stock as long as they're not too salty and they set to a lovely jelly.

Diggingdoris Sun 17-Dec-17 11:44:46

I can't wait to prepare mine! I used a recipe from a tv program last year and it was fantastic. Boil for half cooking time in water and orange juice, then drain and cover with orange marmalade and roast till tender. The whole family have asked me to repeat this year. I could have eaten the whole joint myself!

NemosMum Sun 17-Dec-17 11:48:13

Put it in a roasting tray and pour in some water or cider to a half inch depth. Cover tightly with foil and bake at the bottom of a very low oven overnight. In my last house, we had an Aga and I often used to put gammon in overnight and wake to the wonderful smell in the morning. FAB!

NemosMum Sun 17-Dec-17 11:54:53

I should add that the temperature for overnight baking would be around 100 degrees C.

GannyRowe Sun 17-Dec-17 12:29:49

Try cooking it in a roasting bag, add a couple of cups of orange juice, pop in the oven. About 30 mins from the end, take joint out of oven, remove bag and juice....go careful, it's easy to spill everywhere! Cut off the rind and some of the fat, and generously coat the remaining fatty surface with brown sugar. Pop back in the oven to brown off. Lush!

Cold Sun 17-Dec-17 17:44:45

How big is it?

Last year I cut my 6kg (13lb) gammon in half and stuffed it into the slow cooker. I could not get the lid on but made a snug lid with kitchen foil and it worked really well.

I have also invested in a 10 litre pan from IKEA in case it doesn't fit this year

GadaboutGran Sun 17-Dec-17 18:26:14

Your DH might buy you a bigger slow cooker this year if you moan enough.

Grandmama Sun 17-Dec-17 19:52:56

Do remember to turn on the slow cooker. Two Christmases ago we had a guest. We enjoyed the starter and main course, went to get the pudding out of the slow cooker where it had been steaming all morning I hadn't turned it on. A blast in the oven seemed to work! Tasted fine.

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:54:53

13lb? shock

Your slow cooker must be larger than mine!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 18-Dec-17 06:09:31

Can’t have one, husband is on a low salt diet so just buy a couple of slices for myself

PatB8 Tue 19-Dec-17 06:02:45

I always pressure cook it, the pressure cooker is plenty big enough and the and the glaze finished in the oven for 20 mins or so.

Greyduster Tue 19-Dec-17 07:30:46

We went a bit bonkers with the gammon this year, too, and it is a big beast. I will braise it in the oven in a large foil turkey tray, surrounded by chopped veg. Half of it will, I hope, go home with my SiL on Boxing Day, otherwise we will still be eating it next Christmas! Why on earth do we do these things?