Gransnet forums

Christmas

Are you going to the panto this year?

(72 Posts)
WilmaKnickersfit Wed 20-Dec-17 23:43:08

I just wanted to share my happiness with you!

Tonight I went to see Cinderella at the Belgrade theatre in Coventry and it was FANTASTIC! tchgrin

My friend and I don't have grandchildren, but every year we go to the panto together and join in the fun like the big kids we are! tchgrin

It's always a good show with a couple of regular cast members, but this year's show was simply brilliant! Buttons was the star of the show and we had two dames as the ugly sisters who played off each other like they'd been doing it for years - and their costumes! tchshock The audience victims were such good sports this year and really joined in the fun. The children selected as helpers were so funny and I honestly haven't laughed so much in ages! tchgrin

Are any of you going to the panto this year? If you've already been, did you have a good time?

I'm going to have even more trouble getting to sleep tonight than usual!

Katek Thu 21-Dec-17 11:17:47

I love it as many of you already know! It’s also many children’s first experience of theatre (apart from Peppa etc!) We’ve just finished a very successful 5 night run of Robin Hood but we keep our ticket prices at £6 and £4 so a family of 4 can have a night out for £20. It is a community event after all. I’ve taken dgc to professional panto every year since they were 4 (now 11) and they’re in there cheering with the best! A family ticket costs around £130 but it’s our annual treat with them. Hope to continue the tradition for many more years once two smaller dgs are old enough.

BBbevan Thu 21-Dec-17 17:37:31

Yes , on Boxing Day. It is a new tradition since DGDs were old enough to go. This year it is Aladdin.
Best one we ever went to was in Llandudno with Jimmy Osmond (!) My DD ( aged 50) nearly fell of her seat laughing .

hildajenniJ Thu 21-Dec-17 20:54:52

We will never go to the Pantomime again after last year's Aladdin in Glasgow. The theatre was full of schoolchildren, but the show was not child friendly. It was full of innuendo. Our DGC did not understand it and we were embarrassed to be there. They asked to go, so we left before the interval. My DD complained to the theatre via email, but got no reply. We are pretty broad minded, but quite honestly, it was cringe worthy.

Chewbacca Thu 21-Dec-17 21:04:51

We're booked to see Sleeping Beauty in between Christmas and New Year. It's pretty much the same cast as last year's Snow White and if it's half as good as that, it will be fantastic! It was GD's first time at a panto last year and she loved it, so is very excited this year! The cost of the seats is expensive but we've paid for DS, DIL and 2 grandchildren, plus booked a restaurant for a meal after, and that's our Christmas gift to them this year.

lemongrove Thu 21-Dec-17 21:22:03

Wilma that sounds great, and you get to know all the cast well over the years.tchsmile

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Dec-17 21:39:25

I'm on a waiting list for free tickets from an organisation we're members of, for me and the three eldest DGS, so it's in the lap of the gods. tchgrin I'm not a huge fan, but love to see the children enjoying the show. One did stand out for me - the Krankies and Christopher Biggins in Robinson Crusoe at the beautiful Bradford Alhambra many years ago. Biggins turned up in different outfits in each scene according to his changing fortunes, with an appropriate carrier bag, from Woolworths to Harrods, and the sets were exceptional. It was great fun.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 00:50:37

BBbevan I hold my hand up and confess that I end up doing really belly laughs and it makes me realise how rare it is to laugh so heartily! tchgrin

hilda innuendo is part of the panto tradition going back hundreds of years, so it will always be a part of the show. Was the innuendo in Alladin worse than usual?

lemongrove yes, that's right. Iain Lauchlan is the writer and director as well as the dame, but I read an interview last year that said the script starts with just a bare outline and he and his idiot sidekick Craig Hollingsworth pad it out because they know each other so well. He's on his third sidekick because traditionally the role is played by a younger man and this year is the current sidekick's 6th year. Craig is the best IMHO, and his background as a children's entertainer shines through. BTW Iain Lauchlan has a BAFTA for the Tweenies which he wrote and produced for the BBC. The photo shows Iain getting his very hairy legs waxed by Craig and the other Ugly Sister! tchgrin

Ginny42 Fri 22-Dec-17 02:37:35

Like HildajennaJ we're not doing a panto this year as in the last two years we found the inuendos had become very unpleasant. I'm talking about large theatre productioms in Liverpool last year and Manchester the previous year. This year it's a trip to the theatre to watch a children's play at the Storyhouse in Chester.

Pantos have traditionally had jokes to entertain the parents as well as the fun for children, but they were mostly political comment or making fun of TV shows/adverts. When they turned smutty, the humour had sunk to a level we didn't as a family enjoy.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 03:25:43

I've noticed it seems to be the big theatres that appear to be going too far. That's such a shame when you think of the ticket prices.

jacqui67 Fri 22-Dec-17 09:55:34

We are going to see Aladin tomorrow night with all the grandchildren,at the Little theatre in Southport, we went here many years ago when son and daughter were kids, but have to say not been to a panto for years.

aquafish Fri 22-Dec-17 09:59:59

Fantastic! Why ever not?! It wasnt a panto but my friend & I loved Paddington2, such innocent child like fun for over 60s! I will never grow up!

Grannyanna12345 Fri 22-Dec-17 10:02:55

Went to see DGD dancing in Jack and the Beanstalk - great fun and I got quite hoarse shouting it’s behind you and booing the baddie. Happy memories as the first panto I danced in was Jack and the Banstalk .... um .... 54 years ago .....

radicalnan Fri 22-Dec-17 10:05:03

We had a ghastly afternoon last year at Reading Panto, which was hijacked by gay men on some sort of outing, out singing and out shouting the kids and franky, 'we'd like a biggun over here' and 'everyone loves a fairy' can grate after a couple of hours..............

Panto has always been a little saucy but is verging on the downright smutty now...........just as some kids films are. I much prefer a decent musical with the kids, especially now I look so much like widow Twanky.

GabriellaG Fri 22-Dec-17 10:08:24

I'm not going to a panto sad but bought tickets ages ago to see Miracle on 34th Street at our local theatre (SW Surrey) which doubles as a cinema. You can pre-buy drinks and get a ticket which enables you to avoid the crush at intermission. They also sell locally made ice-cream, in tubs, which is a real treat. It's a 3 minute walk from home so I'm not having to drive. Last night it was a sold out concert by ABBA Gold for which they could have sold quadruple the amount of tickets. No panto this year but might go if Chichester has one. 'Oh no you wont'...'Oh yes I will'...lol.

Sheilasue Fri 22-Dec-17 10:13:05

My d gd and I wanted to go and see American in Paris but couldn’t get tickets.
Last year we saw the red shoes ballet it was lovely.

Dancinggran Fri 22-Dec-17 10:25:34

I'm not a big Panto fan but we take our Rainbows to a panto every year......local church society, tickets £5.00. This year it's 'Mother Goose', not on until Feb Half Term so it's something for them to look forward to. The productions are usually very good and you can tell everyone on stage is enjoying themselves. at the end of the show all the principals stand at the exits and speak to the kids as they are leaving, kids think it's brilliant.

inishowen Fri 22-Dec-17 10:28:13

When I was little I was a dancer in a pantomime. The first night the dame's knickers fell down. Well I was beside myself with giggling. It happened every night at the same time yet I still believed it was accidental. The innocence of youth. I loved that I got to wear stage make-up too.

SueDoku Fri 22-Dec-17 10:29:49

DD & I took DGD (4) to her first panto this year - Cinderella, a local show in the town where they live - and I thought that I'd covered all the bases beforehand by telling DGD the 'funny' news that the Ugly Sisters were played by men dressed up... However, I'd forgotten the other bit - so when Prince Charming and Dandini strode into the stage, a piercing voice from my lap exclaimed, 'But they're two ladies..!!' grin
She soon recovered, and joined in the cries of, 'Look behind you!' 'Oh yes you did.!' etc with gusto - and she wants to go again next year, so I'd call that a success..!! smile

Fellowfeeling8 Fri 22-Dec-17 10:42:10

Not boasting as this nothing to do with me at all but Dh wrote and directed the village panto this year. It was his take on Cinderella. Although I sometimes get fed up that we are tied to home for the six week rehearsal period it is fascinating to watch the youngsters who make up the majority of the cast grow in confidence and ability each year. Over five performances over 500 people attended, having lots of children means lots of grans, aunties etc. Charge is £5 for concessions, £7 otherwise. Having paid expenses, hiring the Hall, costumes etc. there is a profit which subsidises other less well attended plays thoughout the year. DH loves it so much, he is like a dog with two tails!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Dec-17 10:43:53

I loved Paddington 2, aquafish, and I think DH laughed more than anyone else in the cinema. We did have a DGS with us, and he seemed to like it too. tchsmile

BrightonBelle Fri 22-Dec-17 10:44:52

We went to the beautiful Grand Theatre in Blackpool last weekend to see Cinderella with the school outing at £8 each. We were on the front row which is unusual. It was absolutely great. Buttons (or equivalent) is always played by Steve Royle, a local entertainer and very funny man. We got water sprayed at us, never stopped laughing, one of the Dames picked on a man in our party which cause great hilarity and later fell off a chair on stage and lost his wig - a very thin bald man was revealed which lost the magic for a moment! The funniest happened when one of the Dames stopped the action to announce that out of 1000 people laughing in the audience, there was one who wasn't who was our friend's daughter next to us (who was shrunk down in her chair worried about just this eventuality as she is so shy). They put the spotlight on her and made her stand up and shout where the ghost was! She was fine but mortified. I was still laughing days later, brilliant!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Dec-17 10:51:40

Oh, I don't like people being shown up like that though, BrightonBelle. I was once a bit worried as we were on the front row of a Peter Kay show, but fortunately he didn't go down that route. tchsmile

annemac101 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:31:04

I never took my children to pantos as like a few other people have said I don't like the adult humour and innuendos. We did take them to the Citizens theatre in Glasgow where instead of panto it was just a magical story made into a show. This year I took my two granddaughters age six and four to the local panto in the town hall played by the local drama and operatic group. It was also the children's first time seeing a show. They loved it and it was performed brilliantly but still a few smutty jokes about boobs and boob jobs! It went over their heads but I wish they would just call a halt to it , we're all a lot more enlightened and don't need that for family entertainment, tradition or not. I will take them back next year as they enjoyed it and far cheaper than the larger theatres in town. I'm now looking forward to the Nutcracker ballet in January, I haven't been to the ballet for over twenty years,can't wait.

Aepgirl Fri 22-Dec-17 14:44:24

I went to the Panto in Windsor last Saturday. It is always such a good show with super costumes and loads of audience participation. Looking forward to next December already.

BBbevan Fri 22-Dec-17 16:12:11

I think that if any of us has a bad experience at a panto this year, smutty humour etc., we should post the name of the theatre and their response or not to any complaint on here. After all pantomime is supposed to be for children primarily Are we allowed to do that ?