Gransnet forums

Christmas

Wrapping paper

(39 Posts)
Telly Sat 10-Nov-18 18:59:25

I like gift wrapping - even went on a course years ago! However it seems that wrapping paper is not recyclable. Thinking of using brown paper and some sort of ribbon but it does not seem very festive. What do you think? Sparkly or no??

ayse Sat 24-Aug-19 20:47:00

I heard that paper that can be screwed up and stay that way can be recycled but if it can’t then it contains plastic and cannot be.
Most glitter cannot be recycled and biodegradable is available but very expensive. I’m going to be a brown paper and fabric wrapper from now on. Scarves are often inexpensive in charity shops so this also is a possibility.

Stansgran Sat 24-Aug-19 19:54:41

I've started making Christmas stockings. Yes already! Different sizes for presents. I tend to give vouchers these days but I also like the Japanese idea of wrapping things in cloth and there are some beautiful Christmas prints certainly no dearer than some wrapping paper I've bought in the past.

mosaicwarts Sat 24-Aug-19 18:44:57

My 23 year old daughter bought this to my attention last Christmas, I've been putting all sorts in the recycling prior to her investigations! I've bought patterned 'paper' wrapping sheets this year, and will try and find some paper tape.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 24-Aug-19 15:04:55

No, neither gift paper nor the cheap sting that we buy with it can be recycled. So you should not put it into the recycling bin.

Brown paper, newspaper and some paper carrier bags are recyclable or you could consider wrapping gifts in cloth.

ninathenana Sat 24-Aug-19 15:01:14

Just what I was thinking kitty

The thread was started November 2018

kittylester Sat 24-Aug-19 11:46:00

Its flipping August!

Francis Sat 24-Aug-19 11:41:55

I like to use brown paper with nice red or green ribbons.

wildswan16 Tue 20-Aug-19 19:31:02

I've wrapped things using a pretty handkerchief for small presents like jewellery - just tied it with a ribbon like a little pouch. For larger items you can use a cheap (or expensive if you want) square scarf.

The reams of brown paper you sometimes get as packing from Amazon is ideal to decorate and reuse. I crochet long tails with red or green wool to tie them up.

annep1 Tue 20-Aug-19 18:40:46

Like Monica I reuse wrapping paper and gift bags.

Winniewit Wed 12-Jun-19 21:45:32

I wrapped presents for my young nephews in red craft paper and using double sided tape stuck hooks covered chocolate coins all over the parcel

annodomini Sun 11-Nov-18 21:25:28

Just checked Cheshire East's recycling scheme which says that wrapping paper goes in the recycling bin as long as it doesn't have glitter.

BBbevan Sun 11-Nov-18 21:00:54

A friend of mine who lives in London, and has access to these things , wraps presents in foreign newspapers. She says the script on Arabic,Indian, Chinese and Greek newspapers look particularly decorative.

Chewbacca Sun 11-Nov-18 17:27:54

Instead of wrapping paper, I've used these small jute bags, packed with some tissue paper, to give gifts in. Cheaper than glittery, non recyclable bags and can be customised with decoration of your choice.

www.islepac.co.uk/gift-packaging/jute-mini-bag-medium.html

notanan2 Sun 11-Nov-18 16:53:25

Wikos usually has some nice festive print reusable shopping bags in various sizes that make a good replacement for disposable (and un-recyclable) gift bags. Sainsbury's has some smart looking ones too that look like gift bags

notanan2 Sun 11-Nov-18 16:42:01

If you add a lot of paint or glitter etc to brown paper it becomes unrecyclable.

You can buy paper tape that can go in with the recycling instead of selotape.

Brown paper is very festive, looks so victorian.

I sometimes bypass wrapping paper completely by making part of the present the wrapping (a scarf/tea towel/re-usable bag etc)

Granny23 Sun 11-Nov-18 16:05:47

I buy packs of 2 red pillowcases (£2 from ASDA ) Good for larger presents or as a Santa sack for several unwrapped small ones. Tied with real ribbon and with a large label cut from last year's Cards, they are totally recycleable. I also use Christmas themed carrier bags from Supermarkets and stores and, for tiny presents, print out designs via the computer on ordinary printer paper - all recycleable.

shysal Sun 11-Nov-18 15:29:08

Brown paper parcels can be made to look very fancy. Last year I used sheets of snowflake stickers from Lidl, but probably made the wrapping non-recyclable blush. I have started card making recently so this year I shall use stamping, real foliage or die cuts. Lots of good ideas on Google search.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=brown+paper+gift+wrapping&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGn5af0szeAhUoD8AKHe_5C7sQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1340&bih=633

Nannarose Sun 11-Nov-18 12:38:28

I use white tissue paper - it's useful for lots of things, and I tie with 'real' ribbon which I re-use.

Telly Sun 11-Nov-18 11:48:43

OK, you've convinced me to give it a try. Going to order some from a well known auction site. I did buy some kraft type ribbon from Tigger or whatever it is called. So we will see!!

Telly Sun 11-Nov-18 11:47:31

To quote from the link - thanks SueDonim :

Wrapping paper is often dyed, laminated and/or contains non-paper additives such as gold and silver coloured shapes, glitter, plastics etc which cannot be recycled
Some wrapping paper is very thin and contains few good quality fibres for recycling
A lot of wrapping paper has sticky tape attached to it which makes it very difficult to recycle.

Mapleleaf Sun 11-Nov-18 00:29:03

I was under the same impression, phoenix!

BlueBelle Sat 10-Nov-18 22:28:08

Mine says that too Cornergran and that I can understand

cornergran Sat 10-Nov-18 22:19:40

Our council says no metallic or glittery/sparkly paper can be recycled, ordinary printed paper can. Guess areas vary

SueDonim Sat 10-Nov-18 21:49:50

This is a guide to what can and can't be recycled.

www.recyclenow.com/what-to-do-with/wrapping-paper-1

Patsy70 Sat 10-Nov-18 21:27:28

This recycling business is very confusing!