Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas shopping

(78 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-18 11:13:01

Struggling for Christmas gift ideas for the partner who has everything? Trying to find the perfect gift for your grandchildren? Want to share a link to a brilliant bargain or that perfect winter coat? Or are you looking for advice about whether or not those penguin slippers you've seen on Amazon are over the top?

We thought we'd start a thread where you can all share Christmas gift ideas or links to things you've bought or are considering buying but need advice on.
Any good bargains too! tchgrin

Nata Thu 29-Nov-18 13:44:10

How about making some personalized Christmas e cards? An easy to use computer program called Photo Collage Maker will help you create as many cards as you want, you will only need to print them and write your wishes (not necessary blush). The program is here: ams-collage.com/. And here's 1 example.
You can use any picture instead of Santa's.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-Nov-18 15:32:39

If you're still hunting for the perfect present, we have some fantastic competitions running that would make perfect presents! tchgrin

Win a PG Tips hamper worth over £130
(closes 30th November)

Win special edition Moomin books and a collection of Ceramic Moomin tableware worth over £250 (closes 29th November)

Win one of three HUE Animation Studio movie-making kits (closes 3rd December)

Win a bundle of children's books worth over £100 (closes 6th December)

And for the ultimate gift to yourself, why not enter our competition to win a six day holiday to Prague with One Traveller worth over £1,000? (closes 30th November).

Good luck all! tchsmile

NfkDumpling Wed 21-Nov-18 21:54:58

Thanks for the Bon Marche tip travelsafar. I’ve just bought the DGC small gifts to open on the day from the Happy Puzzle Company on line and PJs will round it off nicely. I’ve also got three of them National Geographical Kids monthly magazine subs for the year. Fourth DGD is having a trip to the ballet as she says she doesn’t want anything as other DGPs buy her anything she wants!

I’ve got three married DC so we do couples Secret Santa so we can buy a decent present instead of swopping bottles of wine or scented candles. But what to get DH is a problem. I’m stumped!

travelsafar Wed 21-Nov-18 09:06:28

I started yesterday with the wrapping of christmas gifts. Each person has a carrier bag and these are lined up along the landing as i fill them. I try to be organised and wrap each person or family in the same paper so that if tags do fall off at least i know which bag they belong in. I got some lovely items in Sainsbury;s using my voucher from nectar points and Bon Marche have been doing some good deals on Pj's and knitwear. Smith's had a great deal on Sharpie pens, 28 in a limited edition box reduced to 9.99 from 29.99!!! I bought three of those for various children. Only a few bits left toget now. Xmas cards all written out and will go to the post office at the weekend to buy stamps and post ones for abroad. Feeling very organised at the moment.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Nov-18 21:23:44

What did I do last year ? I wrapped up all the presents and tried to memorize whose was whose !!!
I then had to scrape a bit of the wrapping away and write on the sticky labels then cover where I'd scraped.
Won't make that mistake again.

notanan2 Mon 19-Nov-18 20:18:34

If there's a year when there is nothing I need or want (at least nothing within budget ?) then I dont want stuff for the sake of it and suggest going for a meal with people instead as our gifts to each othet

Coolgran65 Mon 19-Nov-18 17:05:23

We have 4 offspring, 4 wives, and 6 grandchildren from 11 down to 2. That's 14 to start with. Also 4 of them have birthdays within the Christmas month. Sis, Bil and brother. A dear niece and her two children. An old neighbour who was very good to my mum. We take him out to dinner. Two dear long standing friends. Four other children. Four

I was feeling quite overwhelmed
Got outfits and a toy for the dgc and decided this year to use Asda rather than M & S.
Then I went to my 'bought through the year gift box's under the bed. Had forgotten a lot of what I'd got. Happy days. practically sorted. A short list left that dh and I will see to this week.left

That's us almost sorted.
I found it helped to put everything on the bed in piles and then make a list of who was getting what. Then a list as to what was needed. Seeing it all written down makes it all clear and no longer overwhelmed.

Just dh to think about. It was his birthday last week and I like to get it over first.

EllanVannin Sun 18-Nov-18 11:41:29

I buy for 7 GGC whose ages range from 12 year old twins ( 1 of each ) down to a 2 year old.
Cost is always rather high but I manage. Money for their birthdays. Rest of the family are usually treated throughout the year.Holiday money etc.
There's nothing I need/want and I've had a lifetime of holidays Europe and beyond so it's the children who matter now as it's their time.
I might splash out on a nice perfume for myself so I'll be quite happy with that.

Jobey68 Sat 17-Nov-18 17:54:50

How lovely Newnanny no wonder you are excited! My GD was only 9 weeks old last Christmas so gifts were mainly clothes and practical bits but so looking forward to her being more interested this year ?? especially as they are staying here on Xmas eve so she will have her little stocking along with the rest of us to open, so loving being a Nanna ??

newnanny Sat 17-Nov-18 17:00:29

I am getting my dh a pet portrait session.

newnanny Sat 17-Nov-18 16:51:43

I am excited as this is first Xmas my dd has let me do a small stocking for dgs's 3 and 5 months. The last 2 years she has said just 1 small gift as she does not want dc spoilt. I have been careful to select things she won't see as indulgent as I want to do another one next year. Thomas the Tank Engine dressing gown and PJ set very good value (Asda) and baby dressing gown in soft grey with cute penguin TU (Sainsburys). I got some gorgeous hand made wooden animals, 5 in packet crocodile, elephant, lion, meercat and giraffe. We go to the Wild Place to see last two, Xmas bibs for baby. Wooden monkey that goes on trapeze and kaleidoscope, Xmas plate and cup. Having fun getting it all together and wrapping. Got the traditional wooden toys from Devon. www.bickleighmill.com/shopping/

Molly10 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:20:17

I'm loving the ethical Christmas idea. I recently tried to remove all plastics in the kitchen which is near impossible.

Try buying from places like Traidcraft.

or

Charity shops - good for secret santa's -set a limit for all eg £5 or £10 and see who can pick up the best bargain. Sometimes items have never been used before.

Poppy day might have passed but we never forget so visit the British Legion Poppy site as they have a good selection of products there too.

Make presents - try recycling old materials and make little purses or phone holders etc.

Witzend Sat 17-Nov-18 10:16:42

One thing I've given to both young and elderly in the past, is the Sherpa fleece blankets from Edinburgh Woollen Mill. So warm and cosy and light, they've always been highly popular for snuggling in an armchair/on the sofa.
Latest was for a 17 year old niece who absolutely loved ours.

Bighorse Sat 17-Nov-18 08:25:59

Join the movement to stop giving gifts just for the sake of it.
It’s trully liberating

missdeke Fri 16-Nov-18 21:54:53

Thanks ladies for your suggestions, Mum used to like audio books but for some reason she can't deal with then now, I think her hearing is not what it was.... she has a pedicure regularly and her hair done every week. Yes [PamelaJ1] her life is tough but she doesn't complain, in fact she she often makes jokes about planning her escape route. Her stoicism in the face of so much always amazes me.

PamelaJ1 Fri 16-Nov-18 21:08:18

Missdeke- not Missed ke!

PamelaJ1 Fri 16-Nov-18 21:06:58

Missed ke,
It sounds as though life is not easy for your mother.
I presume she has audio books?
Why not find a mobile beauty therapist to visit her. A lot of treatments may not be suitable but she may enjoy a pedicure with some gentle foot and leg massage or a head massage . It would be very relaxing and she would have someone new to chat to.

Nanoo15 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:36:45

My DD has requested an “ethical” Christmas, no plastic, etc for herself, her husband and a five and two year old.
Obviously subscriptions and vouchers are a good idea but could anyone please give me some inspiration, especially for the children, I’m really struggling for ideas.

Bossyrossy Fri 16-Nov-18 19:05:04

I love a good bootfair and spend the summer months searching out Christmas bargains for my DGC, all under five; nearly new toys just missing their boxes for next to nothing prices. I realise that as they get older they might be more discerning but at the moment they are delighted with them and the money saved can go into a savings account for their future.

Witzend Fri 16-Nov-18 18:26:59

I found a bargain today. I'd been looking everywhere for some battery operated tea lights to light up the back of the Nativity stable I'm making. Finally tried Poundland on the offchance - 4 for £1! Nice warm white, too.

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 17:13:44

Maggiemaybe
Yes...if only.
Thanks again for the heads up. I've put the vouchers in my bag ready for tomorrow and would have been mighty annoyed with myself for not remembering 18th as end date. smile
Cheers.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 16:36:25

Oh no, don’t miss out, Gabriella! grin I got £120 worth of stuff yesterday, not without some trauma (as detailed on the other thread), but I changed another £20 worth of points for £40 today, and it all went well.

I just meant free stuff in the sense that I haven’t had to pay for it. If only every shop could be like that. smile

Brunette10 Fri 16-Nov-18 16:28:00

I just saw that Mothercare are doing some good buys of toys/clothing, started their Black Friday early smile

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 15:57:29

evianers
My post at 15.35 was to you.
Aston Martin

EllanVannin Fri 16-Nov-18 15:44:55

Missdeke if your mum has a radio with cd facility perhaps a cd story book ?