Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas shopping

(77 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-18 11:13:01

Struggling for Christmas gift ideas for the partner who has everything? Trying to find the perfect gift for your grandchildren? Want to share a link to a brilliant bargain or that perfect winter coat? Or are you looking for advice about whether or not those penguin slippers you've seen on Amazon are over the top?

We thought we'd start a thread where you can all share Christmas gift ideas or links to things you've bought or are considering buying but need advice on.
Any good bargains too! tchgrin

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 11:23:53

thewhiskyclub.co.uk DH has enjoyed a new whisky to taste each month!

MissAdventure Thu 15-Nov-18 16:12:09

For the person who has everything..
www.findmeagift.co.uk/gifts/the-gift-of-nothing.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKODDad1biv4XsBHYSbYx6GFLQJFKGsNWG3yMmqKItKsIWMLObllKlURoC2TQQAvD_BwE

liberta Thu 15-Nov-18 16:34:28

I like to give my friends and mother a gift of rings, earrings made of silver or jewelry. They will always come in handy.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-18 16:34:35

ooh and there's 20% off...er...nothing tchwink

MissAdventure Thu 15-Nov-18 16:35:31

I know! Its never been a better time to buy nothing!

gillybob Thu 15-Nov-18 17:19:01

I hate trying to think what to get everyone . If I had more money I think it might be quite easy ( I could think of loads I could get my DD, DS and DH ) but it’s really hard on a tight budget .

Harris27 Thu 15-Nov-18 17:44:05

I try and think of the person in question and try for thoughtful gifts wrapped up carefully sometimes I out a little message on the tags which tells them inchosenthis and thought of you X my brother only gets something off me as he's widowed with no children he has plenty of money but I'm aware of my gift being solo so I make a little pack of treats that he probably wouldn't buy and hope it makes a difference.

Harris27 Thu 15-Nov-18 17:45:52

Sorry tell them I was choosing this or them.

ayse Thu 15-Nov-18 18:00:03

I work to a tight budget as well, Gillybob. I do try to do the little treats that they would not buy. It’s difficult but I just try to show love

EllanVannin Thu 15-Nov-18 18:20:25

For the man who has everything--------penicillin ?

rubysong Thu 15-Nov-18 18:43:11

DS2 and partner are having a year's subscription to a local attraction. I am in favour of gifts which are experiences rather than "stuff".

seasider Thu 15-Nov-18 19:27:39

I did an ancestral DNA test which threw up some surprises! DP is researching his family history so we are buying him a test for Christmas.

EllanVannin Thu 15-Nov-18 19:31:44

What a brilliant idea seaside. Very interesting.

Coolgran65 Thu 15-Nov-18 19:39:40

One of my offspring did the DNA test and has been in contact with 3rd and 4th cousins etc all over the world.

PamelaJ1 Thu 15-Nov-18 19:56:48

We have a £5 limit/person on unwrappable gifts.
My DH and I need nothing but our girls will probably buy us a meal voucher.
We will be getting them all an experience each.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Nov-18 20:35:11

I haven't even started thinking about it yet

Patsy70 Thu 15-Nov-18 20:51:07

It is difficult these days when your family members are fairly comfortably off. If the GC have interests, eg. one of ours is a horserider and very focussed on competitions etc., then there is always something she needs and appreciates. However, I do struggle with 2 of our GC, as they love to shop, so request money! I'd prefer to buy something, as long as it's not a waste of money! My sister has a 'college fund' for her GC, and just buys them a small gift to open for birthdays and Christmas - a great idea! I like to give (or receive) theatre/restaurant/cinema vouchers or subscriptions etc. A DNA test sounds a good idea!

Chewbacca Thu 15-Nov-18 21:07:41

I buy tickets to a panto for all the family; followed by a meal at a pizzeria. Everyone loves it because it's after Christmas, but before New Year and so is something for us all to look forward to. Been doing this for 4 years now and I thought they might all be fed up with it but... apparently not! grin I actually save a bit of money by booking for the following year, as we leave the theatre this year.

phoenix Thu 15-Nov-18 21:34:29

Magazine subscriptions can be appreciated by some, and the fact that they arrive each month can be a reminder that someone thinks about them.

MawBroon Thu 15-Nov-18 22:18:59

Monthly flowers from Bloom and Wild for 6 months if you are feeling flush or a single bouquet £20ish - they last really well.

Parsley3 Thu 15-Nov-18 22:34:27

I received monthly flowers from Bloom and Wild last Christmas. They are lovely and I am hoping to get them again.

Grannyknot Thu 15-Nov-18 22:36:55

I was given one of these recently, and I love it so much, I shall be buying it as a gift for someone for certain:

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/aromaworks-aroma-diffuser/889053-463076-463077?gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOOhVxRNTGUR02blYhYUgq6H9ekIe1m4VxzBb-1Hchgz0gjW_7JGtOxoCeKQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't like any of the other room smellies, but this is essential oils in water (so it's chemical free), and the container has soft coloured lights that can be set on one colour or changing colours. I've been putting it on in my bedroom about an hour before bed, with essential lavender oil.

Humbertbear Fri 16-Nov-18 07:20:36

My husband has a large pile of ‘unwanted’ gifts. We can never be sure of getting him something he will like or use. The DashCam was successful as was the temperature gauge which gives us indoor/ outdoor temperatures.
This year I’ve gone for a Bat Detector. He went on a bat hunt and enjoyed using one so I hope he will like one of his own.

TwiceAsNice Fri 16-Nov-18 08:07:32

We all make lists with prices from low to a bit more expensive with enough things on the list so whatever is bought is still a surprise. You know you are getting something that is wanted but you can arrange that it doesn't break the bank if needed. My best friend and I still buy for our children but know what to suggest within our quite strict budgets so I find this works well for me