Gransnet forums

Christmas

The Best Christmas Video

(11 Posts)
Lynne59 Sat 24-Nov-18 19:08:52

I watched this with interest, but 2 things put me off the whole thing:

1. The man's stupid bun thing on top of his head. It's ridiculous.

1. He listens to the 1st tape, dated 10 years ago (when he would have been 20), and the mother's voice says "Hello poppet".... really?! "Poppet" for a grown man?

gillybob Sat 24-Nov-18 18:30:23

This advert cost £50 to make, JL spent £5 million, which made you feel the love of Christmas more?

Definitely this one B9Exchange I loved it and it brought tears to my eyes too.

I can’t stand the JL one . What does EJ tell you about Christmas ? Nothing at all.

merlotgran Sat 24-Nov-18 18:03:01

I would have given anything for my father not to die in the early hours of New Years Day when I was pregnant with our first baby. I would have given anything for him to see his grandchildren and be around for my 30th birthday but I don't need an acted sob story to trigger my sadness.

It's obviously doing what the producer intended though - getting him noticed.

Nice kitchen.

1974cookie Sat 24-Nov-18 17:46:22

Sorry to disagree Merlotgran, it was sad, but definitely not what I would call miserable.
I would give my eye teeth to have a set of cassettes of my Mum talking to me at Xmas. I would be sobbing my heart out, but also smiling to hear my Darling Mum talking to me once again. I shall never forget how Mum told me how very proud she was of me, just before she died. The tears are now running down my face as I write this, but they are not tears of misery, just sadness, a big difference I think.

merlotgran Sat 24-Nov-18 17:36:49

Neither one of them makes me feel the love of Christmas, particularly this mawkish nonsense.

At least Elton's ad had a ring of truth to it even if he was horrible to his mother for years.

hmm

B9exchange Sat 24-Nov-18 16:38:34

Yes, it had me crying too. But the love expressed comes through, and that was wonderful. My mother had depression, Parkinson's and finally dementia, she would have been unable to do anything like that for me, would have been great to hear her voice again. Christmas is a time when very many of us will be missing people we have lost, and my heart goes out to all of you.

This advert cost £50 to make, JL spent £5 million, which made you feel the love of Christmas more?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Nov-18 08:23:33

Oh how I would love to hear my Mothers voice, I miss her everyday.

ginny Fri 23-Nov-18 07:44:43

I understand the sentiment but have to agree that it is rather depressing. However I would love to hear my Mums voice .

Buffybee Fri 23-Nov-18 00:36:39

It had me reaching for the Kleenex anyway.

merlotgran Thu 22-Nov-18 21:29:26

What a miserable flipping video. I don't believe he doesn't have a life.

We all miss our departed loved ones at Christmas so what is the point in this other than just to depress the hell out of everyone?

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Nov-18 21:14:26

This short Christmas film says it all (without product placement!) Kleenex at the ready!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHX0btJYcyI