Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anyone finished their Christmas shopping?

(38 Posts)
Blue45Sapphire Fri 23-Nov-18 08:39:02

Only posting because I am feeling a bit smug! Have ordered or already bought all but four presents, all the Christmas cards and wrapping paper. Just need to get book tokens for DGDs, a book for DD and something for a close friend.
Whoops, I haven't got the Christmas stamps yet, but I think that's it.

NannyJan53 Sun 25-Nov-18 18:26:00

We have agreed this year just to buy for the children in the family. So just 4 DGD's to buy for, and I have 2 presents bought so far.

I do though, have DD's 40th 18th December, DS is 43 on 29th December and Mum's birthday is 3rd January! shock

M0nica Sun 25-Nov-18 16:34:56

I sat down yesterday, ordered the cards and then looked at the Lists. DGD is getting nothing from hers, because three of us have clubbed together to buy her something that we know she wants, but she knows is very expensive, so did not to put on her list. I then ordered most of the gifts we will give online.

I will then wander round Wilko looking for stocking presents when I go to Curry's tomorrow to collect one gift.And hopefully that will be that, except for one present, where DDiL is going to send me more details. Imagine buying the wrong football strip!!

NfkDumpling Sat 24-Nov-18 08:41:13

I’ve got everything for the DGC except DGD’s Christmas treat as she has everything she wants she says. I’m off with her and her mum to see the Nutcracker ballet this afternoon. Oh, and we have to do the Secret Santa for the adults. Just buying for one couple each. So much easier and we can get decent gifts.

However, Christmas cards haven’t even been bought yet. When is the last posting for Australia?!!

TwiceAsNice Sat 24-Nov-18 08:36:16

About threequarters done. Cards ordered. Am cross with Amazon at the moment as parcels arriving regularly and had 4 arrive on one day but was out because they arrived earlier than predicted. Two small ones were put through the letter box they text me to say two couldn't be delivered because I wasn't there but the day before a large parcel had been left for me following the" where to put it instructions" Cross because the other delivery drivers didn't follow the instructions, you can't stay in all day every day! It said they would try again today and should be in most of the day so here's hoping. I buy a lot of gifts online because I live quite rurally with not a lot of choice re shops.

grannyactivist Sat 24-Nov-18 01:01:15

Oh etheltbags, I'm sure that many of us have been in that situation and will sympathise - I know I certainly have.

etheltbags1 Fri 23-Nov-18 23:10:39

Struggling to afford it all on zero hours jobsad

Blue45Sapphire Fri 23-Nov-18 22:36:48

I normally go into a panic at the beginning of November and feel overwhelmed by the task of choosing and buying presents. At least it's only immediate family, DS and partner plus 2 DGDs and DD and son-in-law, But once I get down to it, it just seems to come together. Used to be a real problem years ago, as I am the eldest of five and used to buy for them all plus nieces and nephews, so glad we agreed to stop. Can't imagine how I used to do it when DCs were young and I was working full time.
In December I will put the tree up, write the cards, go to a few Christmas meals, enjoy the carols and wrap the presents - and miss DH like mad...

ginny Fri 23-Nov-18 17:36:02

No , hardly started. It’ll ll get done in the end.

MawBroon Fri 23-Nov-18 16:57:29

Do not mock.
When I started knitting a dinosaur they were still extant.

OurKid1 Fri 23-Nov-18 14:47:46

Tanith I'm also knitting a dinosaur, as one does ... Best not confuse me with MawBroon on that one - she'll be very frightened!

DIL17 Fri 23-Nov-18 14:32:06

I've done everyone except our DD.

Did it all in one go in the Boots 3 for 2 offer. It was less stressful than shopping in town. I sat on my nice sofa, in the warm with a cup of tea then it all turned up a few days later.

Much better! I can now avoid the manic last moment shoppers in December!

Smiley4 Fri 23-Nov-18 14:26:42

Yes. All done and wrapped. This is the first time I have ever done this. But I have my first grandchild due beginning of December, so I wanted to be able to focus on the new baby and help the parents, if needed.

Witzend Fri 23-Nov-18 14:13:07

About half done. Nothing wrapped yet. Have to get quite a lot finished by 7th Dec, since we have the usual meet-up of far-flung family for a present swap. I have 12 of those! But we do relatively little things only and I v often stick to e.g. nice bamboo socks/edibles/candles. Cash and something little to open for the kids.
Dh already sorted with nice new slippers from Celtic Sheepskin. He's usually my biggest headache, so v happy that his old slippers are 'going home', as my mother used to say!

Sar53 Fri 23-Nov-18 13:03:33

Nearly done. Just waiting for a delivery today and a couple of gifts plus cards to buy at Bluewater on Monday when I meet DD2 and DGD5.

harrigran Fri 23-Nov-18 12:56:45

We don't buy for adults in our family, only the children get gifts. This year it looks like more plastic tat that looks cheap but is far from cheap.
I buy luxury items for my friend and we exchange gifts over a nice lunch.
I have three family birthdays in the seven days before Christmas and that is enough of a headache for me.

ninathenana Fri 23-Nov-18 12:43:53

I'm just waiting for a book that was out of stock and need to buy some vouchers and I'm done.
Cards and paper are always bought in the January sales.

Framilode Fri 23-Nov-18 11:15:04

Haven't started yet.

Brunette10 Fri 23-Nov-18 10:25:12

Just have DH to get, unfortunately he is always last on my list but he has hinted a new laptop may come in handy. All done then.

BBbevan Fri 23-Nov-18 10:23:47

Very nearly. Bit more difficult this year as we have agreed to limit spend to £20 for each adult. Not the DGDs though.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Nov-18 10:20:44

>>>>>>>>>haven't even started it properly yet. Each year I'm going to " break eggs with a big stick " and each year I'm lagging further behind. In the end it costs me double to what it would have originally cost.

MawBroon Fri 23-Nov-18 09:47:05

Goodness you had me worried tanith! (Knitting)
Although I suppose I should start as youngest DD is expecting their first baby in March -after a 6 year wait. I haven’t wanted to tempt fate by starting too early. With my speed of knitting maybe an age 5 unisex cricket sweater?

gillybob Fri 23-Nov-18 09:25:15

I tried that yesterday lemon but she threw a wobbly . She doesn’t see that I have children and grandchildren I want to buy for . Why would I want to spend money I don’t have on her and her boyfriend ? She just can’t see my point .

tanith Fri 23-Nov-18 09:22:48

Sorry it wasn’t Maw who is knitting it’s OurKid1?

lemongrove Fri 23-Nov-18 09:22:14

gilly we agreed with family and friends a few years ago, that we would just send cards, and only presents for our own
DC and DGC, much better all round.

tanith Fri 23-Nov-18 09:20:51

I have a Secret Santa gift to get and something chocolatey for a small GS and I think I’m done but I don’t have much to buy as we adults do the Secret Santa.

Like Maw I’m knitting a lot as I’m making the same hat and jacket for a GD and a GrtGD who are both just 1yr old, a pity I can’t take a picture of them together but they live in different countries sadly.