Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Decorating - Yes or No?

(84 Posts)
NudeJude Wed 28-Nov-18 17:27:37

If you're on your own, or there is just the two of you, and you know that you won't see a soul over the so called 'festive season', do you bother to decorate, have a tree, etc?

We've been on our own for the last couple of years having moved some distance from family, and I really feel less and less like bothering with Christmas, does anyone else feel this way?

Cherrytree59 Fri 30-Nov-18 16:45:42

Agree Chewbacca
In my crystal ball I see a post christmas day thread from
Cherrytree
Is it too soon to take the xmas decorations down?
and get out the paint brushhmm

Billybob4491 Fri 30-Nov-18 17:15:57

Just the two of us but we put up a small tree, bring out some of the decs and have fairy lights, observe the 12 days of Christmas.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Nov-18 17:56:22

You seem a bit more cheery from your last couple of posts mabon1. Sometimes in the past you’ve come over as quite harsh. Anyway, I do hope you’re feeling happier.

Billybob4491 Fri 30-Nov-18 19:38:10

Tis the season to be cheerful Urmstongran!

Lyndiloo Mon 03-Dec-18 02:50:40

Oh, NudeJude, you have to put something up for Christmas! It doesn't have to be a lot. But just one or two 'bits' to remind you that it's Christmas. Get a small, inexpensive ready-lit tree - a few baubles here and there, a couple of lovely candles ...? For YOU TWO. You're important! And there's nothing nicer than settling down to watch the TV with all the Christmas lights on!
You say that you won't be seeing your family over the holiday period - but could you invite a couple of neighbours in, say, on Christmas Eve, for a Baileys or two & a mince pie?
Whatever you decide, HAPPY CHRISTMAS! to you.

absent Mon 03-Dec-18 05:05:06

I love the smell of a real Christmas tree. I also love the fun my grandchildren have helping to decorate it, although sometimes we have to move the plethora of decorations at the bottom a bit further up the tree. I love the fact we have both newish decorations and ones from the past that remind us of old friends.

Otherwise I put some greenery around picture frames and mirror frames and switch the doorbell to play Jingle Bells. Once the three-year-old has grown up a bit, I shall stop doing that – although it still makes us all laugh.

Baggs Mon 03-Dec-18 06:13:09

Yes, I feel that way, nudejude. For a start, if the weather's fine (cold and frosty is fine) I'd prefer to be outside and celebrate how nature deals with midwinter. Last time I put up a Christmas tree it stayed up for six months because I always had something more interesting or urgent to do than take it down. This attitude is at least partly influenced by the fact that no-one else is willing to help and don't seem to care if I make an effort or not. I would if eldest DD and grandsons were here over xmas but in general, for adults... shrug. I'll cook a nice but not complicated meal. It won't include turkey.

I get the feasting and present-giving bit, though I think it's all rather over-done nowadays (that's an understatement!).

Baggs Mon 03-Dec-18 06:13:49

PS we can get the smell of xmas trees any day we like just by walking up the hill a bit.